• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to use DDS on Reforged

Level 8
Hi,

I am trying to make a map in Reforged which require a DDS system.

I tried downloading this Damage Engine, copy paste it into my map, but it breaks. I believe this DDS is not compatible with Reforged? My W3 is v1.36.1 (latest) and I believe it must be 1.31?

What is my best solution for this?

Thanks

Level 20
The damage system works on the latest patch. Usually, when people are having issues with adding the system to their map, they either havnt enabled jasshelper or one or more variables got corrupted during copy/pasting. The script error/jasshelper should detail what the issue is when trying to test/save the map.

Last edited:
Level 8
The damage system works on the latest patch. Usually, when people are having issues with adding the system to their map, they either havnt enabled jasshelper or one or more variables got corrupted during copy/pasting. The script error/jasshelper should detail what the issue is when trying to test/save the map.
Yes that's what I experienced. The code said something about texts, probably the damage display text.

I wonder if I should just open the original test map, redo the titles and delete the terrain and work from there to avoid the corruption of files being moved..?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Yes that's what I experienced. The code said something about texts, probably the damage display text.

I wonder if I should just open the original test map, redo the titles and delete the terrain and work from there to avoid the corruption of files being moved..?
Delete the entire Damage Engine folder from your map then enable JassHelper and save. Close the editor for good measure. Then open the Damage Engine map, copy the folder, switch back to your map and paste the folder.

Last edited:
Level 8
Delete the entire Damage Engine folder from your map then enable JassHelper and save. Close the editor for good measure. Then open the Damage Engine map, copy the folder, switch back to your map and paste the folder.
Sorry, I am trying to discover how to enable JassHelper. What I read online is its automatically enabled when updating W3, but is that the case for me then?

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Sorry, I am trying to discover how to enable JassHelper. What I read online is its automatically enabled when updating W3, but is that the case for me then?
In the trigger editor headline (top of the window), there's a section titled "JassHelper" which has a dropdown menu with option "Enable JassHelper".

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
To avoid confusion, the acronym "DDS" should not be used like above in the context of reforged. This is because Reforged supports DirectDraw Surface (.dds) textures. As such the answer to the topic creator's title question would be to make sure that the textures are DXTC5 formatted and to import them, after which they should just work.

Reforged added a whole load of trigger features to improve damage detection systems. It is recommended to use one targeting Reforged and then update the API calls from the spells and systems that used it. This is necessary when dealing with spells and systems that used different damage detection system APIs as you should only have 1 such system inside your map.

Level 39
patch 1.33 broke this iirc, so now it is default turned off for all new maps.
It’s actually intentional that it’s not enabled, as dumb as that is. MindworX said something to this effect in his capacity as a wc3 team member:
JASSHelper fundamentally changes how some things work and therefore it should always be an intentional choice by the mapmaker to use it.