• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to set difficulty of campaign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
The campaign difficulty setting when you start a custom campaign or story campaign, that's the influencer.
so when I extract the campaign into a custom map, there is no way to change difficulty?

ok, do you know if this has any effect on AI difficulty?

say this AI for e.g. o03_blue.ai

I didnt find this AI as attachment or anywhere in my wc3 forlders :|

Last edited:
Level 12
so when I extract the campaign into a custom map, there is no way to change difficulty?

Talking about difficulty in custom map, I don't know yet if we can change the difficulty. But I know we can choose the difficulty in the World Editor for map testing. Simply go to Files > References > Test Map then choose Difficulty before testing the map.

ok, do you know if this has any effect on AI difficulty?

From many maps I looked into, the AI difficulty are set from triggers but not from AI scripts. However I might be wrong. Usually in triggers, they are set like this

• Int 04b Normal
  • Events
  • Conditions
    • (Difficulty level) Equal to Normal
  • Actions
    • Player - Set Neutral Hostile handicap to 50.00%
    • Player - Set Player 2 (Blue) handicap to 50.00%
    • Player - Set Neutral Passive handicap to 50.00%
say this AI for e.g. o03_blue.ai

I didnt find this AI as attachment or anywhere in my wc3 forlders :|

In the case of o03_blue.ai, it is stored in the MPQ file of WC3 as well as the other ai scripts. You need a third party software to be able to look into those files. Most of the key component files of WC3 are stored in MPQ files.

Level 16
Talking about difficulty in custom map, I don't know yet if we can change the difficulty. But I know we can choose the difficulty in the World Editor for map testing. Simply go to Files > References > Test Map then choose Difficulty before testing the map.

From many maps I looked into, the AI difficulty are set from triggers but not from AI scripts. However I might be wrong. Usually in triggers, they are set like this

• Int 04b Normal
  • Events
  • Conditions
    • (Difficulty level) Equal to Normal
  • Actions
    • Player - Set Neutral Hostile handicap to 50.00%
    • Player - Set Player 2 (Blue) handicap to 50.00%
    • Player - Set Neutral Passive handicap to 50.00%

In the case of o03_blue.ai, it is stored in the MPQ file of WC3 as well as the other ai scripts. You need a third party software to be able to look into those files. Most of the key component files of WC3 are stored in MPQ files.

I actually happened to download MPQ master from here sometime ago. Do you know by any chance where I should be looking to find that AI? pretty sure there was thread about this ages ago, I just cant find it :S

@Daffa the Mage it certainly is: I have just tested it with custom campaign and it is different when I put it on hard difficulty (different behaviour and not only the handicap) I confirm your post

Level 12
@map designer That ai file would be in war3.mpq, in the Scripts folder. Note that you cannot open that file with AI Editor. However, you can open it with notepad. Talking about editing it, I don't know cause I use GUI. I believe people who use Jass know how to edit it.

About difficulty, yeah, handicap doesn't apply to every map. A map can use one ai script but with additional triggers, you can add more units or resources to enemy AI depending on the difficulty level. I just want to say that the trigger editor is mainly what makes the differences in game difficulties and not the ai scripts.

And as Daffa the Mage said, you can use different AI scripts for different difficulties also. About the AI file that you referred to, that is the only AI script in that mission. Therefore, the difficulty must be setup via triggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.