• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Campaign Difficulty Not Being Stored

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I have almost finished a custom campaign based on the original RoC Human Campaign.

I've retained the 3 difficulty level settings (Easy, Normal, Hard) and created quite a few differences in the maps based on them. The difficulty setting is chosen from the Custom Campaign menu, before entering the Campaign screen proper.

The only problem is that the Difficulty levels are not saved when you go from one level to another. For example the Difficulty level is Hard on the First Mission and everything works fine, but it reverts to Normal after you win the First Mission and go on to the Second one.

You have to go back to the Custom Campaign menu each time per level that you want to play on a different difficulty than Normal.

I've looked at a few triggered solutions:
1. Storing the difficulty in a game cache- While this allows you to maintain the difficulty level from one level to another, it also means that if you want to change the difficulty of a level you would have to reset the game cache (that is, you would have to replay the previous level on another difficulty).

2. Using dialog buttons- The problem is (aside from their complexity for a trigger learner) that dialog options don't seem to work if launched using map initialization. This would be fine if not for most of the difficulty changes taking place at map initialization (units being removed/swapped etc.) Since a dialog button can only appear after the map initialization, most of the difficulty changes would have happened by then and would be irreversible.

I tried to explain everything in clear detail. Is there another way to store the difficulty setting from one level to the next in a campaign?

Level 11
Wow, you are a life saver!.....the solution is so simple...

Thanks a lot!

You've just saved me ages of thinkering with complex triggers! +rep and credits:D

I will check it tomorrow, though it should work, it makes sense since it is based on the original campaign:D

Status
Not open for further replies.