• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] How to optimize map /2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hello!
I have a big anime map but I just imported some models for 12 characters . But I saw in many maps there are more than 20 characters . I've seen somewhere I need War3SLK + Vexorian + Spazzler to do that . How to use SLK + VEXORIAN and how to use Spazzler in Python? If there is another tool , just tell me please
Thank you

EDIT : I can just optimize it 7%/8%
For example my map is 8.7 mb it becomes 8.0 :| only 0.7 mb optimized

Level 16
I believe Spec's BLP Lab can optimize models a bit.

As far as I know, BLP lab can only work with textures.

Models will have a texture, unless they use ingame textures. This means, models normally come with an extra .blp file along with the .mdx file. They can even have multiple .blp files. These .blp files are basically like images which can be compressed. Open each .blp file up and compress it with BLP lab. You can compress down to 40%-45% quality without noticing much difference. I normally compress to 30%, however you may start noticing a loss in quality.

The bigger the model is, the more you will notice a loss in quality. You may want to use 60-75% quality for large models such as big trees or buildings. You can get away with much higher compression if the character is small.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/blp-lab-v0-5-0-a-137599/

Hello!
I have a big anime map but I just imported some models for 12 characters . But I saw in many maps there are more than 20 characters . I've seen somewhere I need War3SLK + Vexorian + Spazzler to do that . How to use SLK + VEXORIAN and how to use Spazzler in Python? If there is another tool , just tell me please
Thank you

EDIT : I can just optimize it 7%/8%
For example my map is 8.7 mb it becomes 8.0 :| only 0.7 mb optimized

Spazzler doesn't optimize, it just edits the MPQ's header to throw off MPQ editors. To run it, you need to download python (google it), then run it through terminal.

Vex's optimizer + SLK opt will only do so much. In fact, you might want to try the optimizer by itself (or SLK opt by itself) to see if you can get better results. iirc SLK performs a task similar to widgetizing the map, so there may be an increase in file size (but significantly decreased loading time).

Now, there are numerous ways to optimize a map. First, you should squish all your models and reimport them:
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?p=800246&fromattachment=800246
Even though it won't show a file size difference on the hard drive, it will compress much better within the MPQ, resulting in lower file sizes.

Second, if that isn't enough, you should use BLP Lab (as radicool noted). Save the blp textures with lower quality than usual. Usually 40% to 60% with JPEG compression should be fine.

Compress all audio when possible by reducing the bit rate using a tool like audacity.

Finally, run vex's optimizer/war3slkopt on it and it should be fine. If your map is 8.7 MB uncompressed, then there should be no issue getting it below 8 MB. You can usually cut maps down in half (e.g. 12 MB to 6 MB) without sacrificing much *noticeable* quality.

It shouldn't corrupt your map. It deletes editor-specific data, so it is able to be ran in Warcraft 3 but unable to be opened in the editor (that serves as both protection from editing and optimization).

You should keep a back-up of the map that you use for editing. Whenever you want to release or test it, then you just run the optimizer and play the optimized version instead. When you need to edit it again, use the unoptimized version.

Status
Not open for further replies.