• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to open .w3x files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I need some help with opening files, whenever I download maps and spells from Hive/Epic War that use .w3x files it always tells me that the file type can not be found and I am clueless since I'm not the best at computer stuff. I need to know how to open them because I am attempting to make a map and it will need some custom spells.

Some maps may be protected, meaning that the author does not want you to be able to edit their map. Some may be corrupted (file not found or some similar error).

Be sure that your Warcraft 3 is patched to 1.26 (or whatever the latest patch is). If you are opening maps from our spells section, you should be able to open them without problems. However, the maps downloaded from our maps section are usually protected, either for optimization purposes or to protect the map from edits (or both). I recommend that you contact the author of the map if you want to use a spell, or just create it yourself.

Level 14
I think you want to right click a w3x file and use: Open With
Then go to your world editor or JNGP and tick always use this program to open this file type. Then click ok.
Now if it does open the editor but doesn't open your map immediately I suggest you check this out:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...8/cant-directly-open-map-world-editor-226636/

If the map is protected (which means the editor will show an error when opening the map) do what PurgeandFire111 suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.