• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to merge or Copy one by one Object data to another Map (not import/export overwrites)

Level 3
Sorry for the long title, but i wanted to make it clear that i am not simply talking about the export/ import feature, bc doing so overwrites existing data. Is there a merge feature? merging two existing data sets, or is there a way to copy one data line at a time and paste it in another window? it appears i cant have two world editors open at the same time to do this, but wondering if you guys know a work around. I will try to explain again what i mean about the last part: So say i have a custom spell in map A and i want to copy and insert only this specific custom spell (not the whole data set) into another map without overwriting the new data set. basically merging once again. but for a singular entity. morever id rather be able to merge everything, but was wondering if you can also do it individually b/c i can see that being helpful too. So i guess everything sounds a bit redundant and in circles lol. Sorry about that, i just see that some people that have asked this question get the export - import data response. Thank you for your time

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Within the World Editor, you can have multiple maps open simultaneously, although only one can be active at a time. The Window tab facilitates seamless switching between these open maps. This allows you to copy content in the Trigger or Object Editor and keep it in your clipboard, even when you switch to another map. It's important not to close the editor to retain the copied data. Unfortunately, you can't copy Object Editor data in batches, but putting your Triggers in one folder and copying over that entire folder is doable. Hopefully someone will make a nice merging tool in the future (or maybe one already exists?).

Last edited:
Level 3
Within the World Editor, you can have multiple maps open simultaneously, although only one can be active at a time. The Window tab facilitates seamless switching between these open maps. This allows you to copy content in the Trigger or Object Editor and keep it in your clipboard, even when you switch to another map. It's important not to close the editor to retain the copied data. Unfortunately, you can't copy Object Editor data in batches, but putting your Triggers in one folder and copying over that entire folder is doable. Hopefully someone will make a nice merging tool in the future (or maybe one already exists?).
Oneee moooooooorre thing, jackie. Lol Thank you very much Uncle i see what you mean now

Edit: does grimex work with reforged? I was doing some brief reading on it and it appears it is a merger tool for object data, but i never used it and it seems it was pre reforged era

Last edited:
Level 3
The object merger tool is not available in the Reforged World Editor, but you can setup JNGP or WEX for an older patch and do your object merging on a new map opened in the third party World Editor. Export the object data and then import into your actual map.
in other worlds use an older world editor? do the merging there export import then switch back to latest/modern version? is there a way i can run old world editor separately without having to downgrade the game? great idea btw. i have to see how to even get old version and how to go about it. maybe you can guide me or direct me what steps i need to take. that would be so appreciated :]

Edit: this may be off topic, but i figure i also ask this here: is there a way to add data fields? like add summon unit fields as an example to an already existing ability type or item etc. I want to make abilities multifunctional instead of limited to just one role. i know there is a campaign editor bug where people will get all the data fields when copying and or making a new ability, but mostly those "extra" data fields do not work. i was wondering if there is a way to make them work. or if not, let me use the summon unit example: if i use a red drake summon as my template and it already has 2 data fields to summon 2 different types of units, is there atleast a way to increase that to 3 or 4 or 5 different types?

Last edited:
Level 18
in other worlds use an older world editor? do the merging there export import then switch back to latest/modern version? is there a way i can run old world editor separately without having to downgrade the game? great idea btw. i have to see how to even get old version and how to go about it. maybe you can guide me or direct me what steps i need to take. that would be so appreciated :]
You can get previous patches' files from the thread Warcraft Archives.

Level 3
You can get previous patches' files from the thread Warcraft Archives.
thank you very much. how does this work with reforged though? do i need to uninstal reforged and download Warcraft 3 classic from battle.net? i actually dont even see classic in there anymore

Edit: oh i think i was mistaken. i am in the game files tab. im assuming that is the full warcraft 3 with the corresponding version? dling now so i guess i will find out lol

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
An efficient way would be to convert the object editor data to an intermediate text format, and then bulk copy that across using text editors or tools designed to help merge text. Once all merging is done, convert that text format back into object editor data and then use it.

I think this might have been possible with W3x2Lni, but the tool does not seem to have been updated in a long time so might not work with Reforged.

Level 3
An efficient way would be to convert the object editor data to an intermediate text format, and then bulk copy that across using text editors or tools designed to help merge text. Once all merging is done, convert that text format back into object editor data and then use it.

I think this might have been possible with W3x2Lni, but the tool does not seem to have been updated in a long time so might not work with Reforged.
im very lost with this program. i dragged map into it, but i dont see how i get the text data from the map or making like ini or something.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
im very lost with this program. i dragged map into it, but i dont see how i get the text data from the map or making like ini or something.
It was my understanding that once you loaded the map in the program, you could select a format to export it as. Some of those formats will convert typically binary files into text files which are easier to manually manipulate.