• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make rpg map better or more strategical map thebigfellowshipquest 3.8d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Ok so i am currently editing thebigfellowshipquest 3.8d its abonded map from 2010 i alreday changed much things terrain, models, improved map made it longer. And please dont say WTF THIEF STEALER because this map was open able and not protected so i think creator just gave up and left it to let someone edit in future. If not me then no one would want to play it because of vanilia models and too easy game

.I need an idea how to improve map sometimes i think that i shouldnt create maps because im not creative at all :( however i love editing.My problem is that i dont know how to make map better or more strategical. I dont think that someone here will guide me because most of you dont know my map even :( you probably know lord of the rings dont you? then my map is supossed to be like movie lord of the rings all three parts but everyone here controls only one hero of fellowship

.I noticed that my map sucks because its all only about walking on map killing orcs and healing yourself i think it needs some more strategy or less boring it shouldnt be all the time about killing orcs and healing yourself but i dont know how to do it. I even have bosses on map like saruman,shelob,barlog they all have 25k hp 100 dmg to fight them u just need to keep healing yourself :( but i alreday got an idea how i can change it giving bosses spells which are danger for players and players a spell to stop bosses from using spells, or just making boses huge dmg and giving players stun so like this player would have to use stun to kill boss and stop his huge dmg.

theres link for my map The Big Fellowship Quest V.3.8d - Warcraft 3 Maps - Epic War.com i hope anyone of u can share an idea with me generaly my question is how to make rpg map more strategical, less boring how to give it more action because its all about killing orcs and healing yourself remember my map follows the lord of the rings movie

Level 9
Puzzles.
Enemies that require different tactics. Look at various MMO or RPG bosses for pointers.
Enemies that require various tools found elsewhere to beat (e.g. a boss has a permanent mana shield and 1 million mana. You can't really just burn through it with regular damage, you need to find a weapon that will directly burn large amounts of its mana).

Also don't give player just vanilla spells, those are too boring on their own, use triggers. E.g. player has a powerful stormbolt-based spell with huge damage and decent stun, but its cooldown is really long. However, every time player uses another, much much weaker spell, the big spell's cooldown is reduced by 2 seconds. So instead of just staring at cooldown ticking down player is actively working to reduce it, and feels much more engaged.

Stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.