• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How to make item ability appear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
hi, i was wonder how can i make a item ability appear as a normal unit ability, for example i use item attack bonus + 1 and i change it to increase damage +1 as a normal unit ability, but even tho the bonus is there, there is no icon even when i placed a icon there, how do i make the ability appear?

Level 11
I think there got a way.
add that skill to a "spell book"(A Skill) [A skill that can keep skill in side it]
and the "spell book" to the unit.
Use trigger "Player - Enable/Disable ability for player" to disable "spell book"
that mean ur skill is still effect but spell book icon was gone.

.KC

.KC

Level 8
I would search if there is any unit/hero abilities that increase the damage and have a viewable icon(I cant remember if there is).

But if there isnt any ability like that, I would create a dummy a ability like the paladins defens aura, and then add the damage ability to the unit.

Level 11
I think there got a way.
add that skill to a "spell book"(A Skill) [A skill that can keep skill in side it]
and the "spell book" to the unit.
Use trigger "Player - Enable/Disable ability for player" to disable "spell book"
that mean ur skill is still effect but spell book icon was gone.

Congratulations. You told him how to do the complete opposite of what he wanted. He wanted the ability to show not be hidden!

Anyway:
Your best bet at makeing it visible is to make a spellbook with only 1 ability. The item ability. Then give the spell book to the units.

Most item abilities can not have icons, live with it...

If you want to trigger things, you can use a dummy ability as an icon.

Level 3
Simply add the +1 item ability and a dummy ability based on some aura (I'm used to use unholy aura, I have no idea why though) with all targets allowed unticked or only "bridge" ticked.

.KC

.KC

Level 8
I would search if there is any unit/hero abilities that increase the damage and have a viewable icon(I cant remember if there is).

But if there isnt any ability like that, I would create a dummy a ability like the paladins defens aura, and then add the damage ability to the unit.

Simply add the +1 item ability and a dummy ability based on some aura (I'm used to use unholy aura, I have no idea why though) with all targets allowed unticked or only "bridge" ticked.

Ehmm isn't it exactly what I said?:weekani:

Level 3
Wow making things so hard? Just go to the ability tab in the object editor. There's a row in each ability that says Item Ability: True, change it to false. Should be right below Hero Ability. After that it will work like a normal ability.

Level 12
A little confused

Ok, you can use item abilities as regular unit/hero abilities, you just need to learn the object editor

2nd
For most ppl the iconless effect is a plus, they can add as many item effects with only one icon

If you really want an icon, they are just a picture and a tooltip, they have no real in-game effects

So all you need to do, is find a spell/ability that has an icon, and at the same time can be edited so it does absolutely nothing (auras work great)

Add that to your unit/hero (change the levels + truefalse/booleans appropriately) + the tooltip (Ex. Wooden Armor Adds +3 armor)

And wunderbar, you have yourself an icon + a tooltip

Don't forget to add your regular item abilities :eek:

Level 9
no it wont work like that, i need to remove increase att when the unit uses increase def, let say like

unit uses a skill
if skill used equal to increase attack then do
add increase att
remove increase def
if skill used equal to increase def then do
add increase def
remove increase att

i cant get the spell to remove, so i though its stuck once you add the spell without an icon.

EDIT: dang it am just getting more and more problems, how do i get unit has ability? isnt there like a trigger thats like unit has ability equal to true?

Level 12
Oooooooooooooooh

Ok i got what your saying

First off, there is a way to do it using a spell like defend,turn on = such and such, turn off = such n such

But what you need is an easier way, to check for a spell, you need to use integer condition

level of ability "ability" of "unit" equal to 0

If the unit doesn't have the ability, it will return a 0 instead of a regular number

So you can check to see if it has the ability by whether it is 0 or not

It's funny, the Blizzard didn't add the normal check you would expect, instead they put in this roundabout way of doing it

You would need to have yet another dummy icon/ability for the second part

I would learn how to use the turn on / turn off for defend if I were you

Actually, I might even make a trigger system for both ways so you can see it yourself, but I can't do it now I gotta go to bed soon

P.S. Hang in there, I went through exactly the same thing your going through now, it's a part of learning the GUI functions

Level 9
cool thx, i didntt like using other programs, or use jass, becasue i dont know how to, but all programs for WE in this site people say its good, but when i try some of them their not very helpful, so i stopped trying, i simply use GUI the most.

Level 12
heh

yup, me two

I can work 10000x faster in GUI than anything else

Ok, I'm working on an insane augment spell right now, but I could get you some spell examples after, ok???

Level 6
If i get you right:
You have an item ability that have +1 dmg, and you whant the icon? If so:
A learned ability is = to permantent immolatio set all stats to 0.00 , than triger
-Event:
-A unit learns a skill
-Condition:
-Learned hero skill is equal to permantent immolation
-Action:
-(add unit ability)Add Item attack bonus +1 to trigering unit

And you have the icon :)

Level 9
wow amazing, it actually works, i did exactly the samething before and it dont work.

• /
  • arrows
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Ability being cast) Equal to VemonArrow
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Add Using VemonArrows to (Triggering unit)
          • Unit - Remove FireArrow from (Triggering unit)
          • Unit - Remove IceArrow from (Triggering unit)
          • Unit - Remove PierceArrow from (Triggering unit)
        • Else - Actions
          • Do nothing
        • If - Conditions
          • (Ability being cast) Equal to PierceArrow
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Add Using PierceArrows to (Triggering unit)
          • Unit - Remove VemonArrow from (Triggering unit)
        • Else - Actions
          • Do nothing
        • If - Conditions
          • (Ability being cast) Equal to IceArrow
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Add Using IceArrows to (Triggering unit)
        • Else - Actions
          • Do nothing
        • If - Conditions
          • (Ability being cast) Equal to FireArrow
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Add Using FireArrows to (Triggering unit)
        • Else - Actions
          • Do nothing

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.