• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make an interesting Hero!

Level 15
Hello!

I am going to give you some tips on how to make an interesting, correct and fun to play Hero!

Introduction

Heroes is a key unit in Warcraft 3; The melee games relies much on them, the campaigns, custom maps such as DotA, HoSK, HLW etc.
What I mean is that few Warcraft 3 maps doesn't have heroes, since WC3 is built that way.
Not only is a Hero fun to play, it can have many more different abilites than a normal unit, and it brings more Roleplay-factor to the game.
Also, a Hero can be more important than a unit, since you can make it much more unique than a unit.

Background Story

A background story is important, atleast for campaigns and RPGs.
For a usual map such as DotA etc, you can use simplier stories;

"-Hero Name- 'Kelorg' Spinebreaker, an excellent fighter and a master of weapons, capable of bringing entire partys down by himself. Has abilites such as Critical Strike, Windwalk, Mirror Image and Bladestorm"

That is a simple story, which can be used for AoS maps and similiar. What you shouldn't do, is this;

"EPICC hero Haz SUper higH attack speed loooollooks funny when he fights XPXPXD"

It's obvious that isn't a nice story, but I have seen it in too many maps to belive it.

For a more advanced story, in Campaigns and RPGs, work like this;

"-Hero Name- 'Kelorg' grew up in a small village in the middle of the desert. Always being attacked by bandit partys, Kelorgs father taught him how to master combat.
Kelorg was weak and a coward, until one day bandits came and and raided his village. Kelorg saw through his window how his father was overwhelmed and defeated. A bandit lord broke the door into his familys house. Kelorgs mother tryed to defend anything they had of worth in their house, but with no succes. The bandit pushed her to the floor, and put'd his hands against her neck, strangling her. Screaming and crying, Kelorg ran out with two axes in his hands. With inhuman strength he swung his axe towards the bandit, which in the last second blocked the axe. Once again Kelorg swung his other axe, which the bandit couldn't block.
Still crying, he ran out of the house and killed the other bandits, one by one. Noone could stand a chance against this childs strength. He was later known as 'The Spinebreaker'"

But as said, you usually don't need to go this advanced.

Model

To make the Hero look more interesting, perhaps you would want to import a custom model. But you should never rely on importing models in a map, remember you can make a great map without importing a single model, skin what so ever, and there are plenty of nice models in-game already.

Spells and Abilities

These are, in AoS's and RPG, what makes the Hero interesting.
Custom made spells by GUI and JASS is very recommended, if you know how to do so. Otherwise, try using some spells that can be found here on the site.
Yo can ofcoarse use spells found in the game, with some stat changes and a new tooltip, and other effects. But i strongly suggest you just don't pick some random spells inside the game and add them to the Hero.

Think about what kind of spells you add. Usually you add spells like this;

Defensive - Defensive spells or passive spells, such as the Paladins Divine Shield, or the Demon Hunters chance to dodge.
Offensive - Offensive spells, such as the Tauren Chieftains Shockwave, or the Mountain Kings Storm Bolt.
Misc - Miscellenius spells, such as the Blood Mages Banish, or the Far Seers Shadow Wolf.
Ultimate - The Ultimate spells which are accuired at level 6, such as the Blademasters Bladestorm, or the Lichs Death and Decay, or the Mountain Kings Avatar.

There are also different kinds of these spells. I would say these are the kind of spells;
Aura - Passive spells that affect and help multi-friendly targets in range, as Paladins Devotion Aura, or Tauren Chieftains Endurance Aura.
Summon - Summoning spells which form a new unit, as the Crypt Fiends Beatle spell, or the Archmages Water Elemental.
Stun - Stunning/Incapacitating spells, such as the Mountain Kings Storm Bolt or Bash, or the Blood Mages Banish.
Multi-target - A spell that affects multiple Enemy units, such as the Far Seers Chain Lightning or the Wardens Fan of Knives.
AoE(Area of Effect - Spells which are targeted in an area, which will damage all units within the selected area, like the Archmages Blizzard or the Lichs Death and Decay.
Damage - A damaging spell, like the Dreadlords Carrion Swarm or various poison abilities.
Buff - A buffing spell, like the (Unit) Shamans Bloodlust.
Healing - A healing spells, like the Paladins Holy Light or the Guardian of Natures ultimate ability which restores heath to all friendly units in an area.

There are probably even more than these, but these are the basic ones.
I suggest you use the ones listed high above, and pick which one you like from these right above.
Try to make interesting and unique spell/spell setup. Some Heroes might not even have damaging spells, but instead focuses on summoning spells and passive spells, or healing spells.

Tooltips and Icons

These ARE important. For a fire spell icon, you can't use a Ice-looking spell icon (Obviously).
For the tooltips, you can do in atleast two ways.
Either you can do how Blizzard designed theirs, like this;

Calls down waves of freezing ice shards that damage units in a target area. |n|n|cffffcc00Level 1|r - <AHbz,DataA1> waves at <AHbz,DataB1> damage each. |n|cffffcc00Level 2|r - <AHbz,DataA2> waves at <AHbz,DataB2> damage each. |n|cffffcc00Level 3|r - <AHbz,DataA3> waves at <AHbz,DataB3> damage each.

Which turns out like this;

Code:
Calls down waves of freezing ice shards that damage units in a target area.
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][Level 1][/COLOR] - 6 waves at 30 damage each.
[COLOR="darkorange"][Level 2][/COLOR] - 8 waves at 40 damage each.
[COLOR="darkorange"][Level 3][/COLOR] - 10 waves at 50 damage each.

Or you can do in your own way (This is how I made);

|cffffcc00Spell Type|r: Activated Passive[Self] seconds|n|cffffcc00Cooldown|r: 6 seconds|n|cffffcc00Mana Cost|r: 25|n|cffffcc00Chance to Reflect|r: 50/60/70/80%|n|cffffcc00Damage Taken/Damage Done|r: 30/40/50/60%|nEric forms a divine shield around himself, reducing damage taken and gives a chance to reflect certain attacks. The concetration needed reduces the damage done by Eric also.

Code:
[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Spell Type[/COLOR]: Activated Passive[Self] seconds
[COLOR="deepskyblue"]Cooldown[/COLOR]: 6 seconds
[COLOR="deepskyblue"]Mana Cost[/COLOR]: 25
[COLOR="deepskyblue"]Chance to Reflect[/COLOR]: 50/60/70/80%
[COLOR="deepskyblue"]Damage Taken/Damage Done[/COLOR]: 30/40/50/60%
Eric forms a divine shield around himself, reducing damage taken and gives a chance to reflect certain attacks. The concetration needed reduces the damage done by Eric also.

This is all up to you. The second one requires a bit more effort.

Some tips;
-'|n' jumps to the next line, as if you press 'Enter' on your keyboard.
-|cffffcc00|r Is a color code. There are several programs you can make your own color code in.

This tutorial is WIP! I will update it later on!

Last edited:
Level 6
Spells and Abilities
These are, in AoS's and RPG, what makes the Hero interesting.
Custom made spells by GUI and JASS is very recommended, if you know how to do so. Otherwise, try using some spells that can be found here on the site.
Yo can ofcoarse use spells found in the game, with some stat changes and a new tooltip, and other effects. But i strongly suggest you just don't pick some random spells inside the game and add them to the Hero.

Think about what kind of spells you add. Usually you add spells like this;

Defensive - Defensive spells or passive spells, such as the Paladins Divine Shield, or the Demon Hunters chance to dodge.
Offensive - Offensive spells, such as the Tauren Chieftains Shockwave, or the Mountain Kings Storm Bolt.
Misc - Miscellenius spells, such as the Blood Mages Banish, or the Far Seers Shadow Wolf.
Ultimate - The Ultimate spells which are accuired at level 6, such as the Blademasters Bladestorm, or the Lichs Death and Decay, or the Mountain Kings Avatar.

There are also different kinds of these spells. I would say these are the kind of spells;
Aura - Passive spells that affect and help multi-friendly targets in range, as Paladins Devotion Aura, or Tauren Chieftains Endurance Aura.
Summon - Summoning spells which form a new unit, as the Crypt Fiends Beatle spell, or the Archmages Water Elemental.
Stun - Stunning/Incapacitating spells, such as the Mountain Kings Storm Bolt or Bash, or the Blood Mages Banish.
Multi-target - A spell that affects multiple Enemy units, such as the Far Seers Chain Lightning or the Wardens Fan of Knives.
Damage - A damaging spell, like the Dreadlords Carrion Swarm or various poison abilities.
Buff - A buffing spell, like the (Unit) Shamans Bloodlust.
Healing - A healing spells, like the Paladins Holy Light or the Guardian of Natures ultimate ability which restores heath to all friendly units in an area.

You've forgot a very important kind of spell: "AoE Spells" (Area of Effect) such like (unit) Firelord's Vulcano. AoE Spells are different from Multi-Target spells, AoE are spells that damages an indicated area around the targeted point, Multi-Target spells are spells that directly hit multiple units, like (Unit) Huntress Bouncing Glave or Multi Shot.

Level 6
"-Hero Name- 'Kelorg' grew up in a small village in the middle of the desert. Always being attacked by bandit partys, Kelorgs father taught him how to master combat.
Kelorg was weak and a coward, until one day bandits came and and raided his village. Kelorg saw through his window how his father was overwhelmed and defeated. A bandit lord broke the door into his familys house. Kelorgs mother tryed to defend anything they had of worth in their house, but with no succes. The bandit pushed her to the floor, and put'd his hands against her neck, strangling her. Screaming and crying, Kelorg ran out with two axes in his hands. With inhuman strength he swung his axe towards the bandit, which in the last second blocked the axe. Once again Kelorg swung his other axe, which the bandit couldn't block.
Still crying, he ran out of the house and killed the other bandits, one by one. Noone could stand a chance against this childs strength. He was later known as 'The Spinebreaker'"

But as said, you usually don't need to go this advanced.

You don't do a good job at explaining this. Although having 'lol this hero is awrsum pick him' as a description is bad, doing what you described above is also bad.

DotA is a good example of how not to do Hero tooltips - every hero has 2 blocks of text a new player has to read, with so much useless information... and it all has to be read within the first 20 seconds of the game (and then this noob has to pick his items and figure out what's going on-).

If your player is not familiar with the hero being chosen, a tooltip should contain the bare necessities. If the map is more RP-oriented, you can afford to give a hero/unit more description in its tooltip, but otherwise it should be very brief.

A melee map might have a tooltip mirroring blizzard's style:

George Darkspear

A an agile hero adept at dealing area of effect damage. George can learn Flame Strike, Breath of Fire, Brilliance Aura, and Resurrection.

Very simple. I mean, what does a player what to know when they're picking a hero? The primary attribute and the spells, that's it really. Anything else is peripheral. If you want to be more detailed, you could describe the spells very briefly, give the stat gains per level. explain the hero's weaknesses/strengths, or give more biography. But a player shouldn't be expected to read a narrative, let alone a paragraph of two of information.

Finally, your tutorial really lacks the necessary information for it to be very informative. I mean, yeah, it has the basics of hero building, but you can get everything you describe from other tutorials, if it's even necessary to do even that. A lot of this stuff is common knowledge - it doesn't contain anything a user might want to know if they want to become more advanced.

For this tutorial to be really useful, you should examine what spells are fun to use on heroes (a hero with all passives is usually boring, for example), what spells are balanced, what spell sets have synergy, how to balance spells and heroes, and how to come up with unique hero concepts.

Level 8
Banish isn't a stun. Its a banish and slow.
Slow = Causes units to attack/move slower than normal (eg sorceress slow)
Stun = Prevents units from performing any action (eg mountian king storm bolt)
Immobalise = Prevents units from moving (eg raider ensnare)
Banish = Prevents units from using their normal attack, increases spell damage to the unit.
Sleep = Simmilar to Stun, but the effect ends if the unit is attacked.

Also, the hero is not called 'The Guardian of Nature', nor is his ultimate called 'The Guardian of Nature's Ultimate'. Your writing a tutorial for goodness sake - make an effort. Its 'Keeper of the Grove' and 'Tranquility'.

Damage is too vague, you are apparently trying to teach people you know? Split it into:
Nuke = Direct Damage, like archimond's finger of death or mountain kings storm bolt
Damage over time = Damage dealt periodically, like warden's shadow strike.

You have also neglected synergy (for those who don't know, like the author probably doesn't, synergy is abilities working together)
Lets take a Warcraft III hero - the archmage. He can summon water elementals and teleport them with him via his ultimate. He can use a blizzard ability which slows his enemies, so the water elementals can catch them. To top it off, his passive regains mana quickly, so this process can be repeated.

Also, why have you put in the model section? Its stupid. All it tells us is that you can give your hero a model, given or imported. Wow. I didn't know that before, I had better write it down. Gone are the days of no model heroes, thank you author, what would I do without you. Seriously, make a post in Off-Topic telling everybody 'Brand new! Heroes can have models!' You will be a hero, your name in lights. Alright, a bit over the top, but that paragraph is next to useless.

Seriously man, you aren't good at this.

Hey Revolve. You have an interesting tutorial there. It is well organized, and the grammar is okay (some stuff needs a fix) but there are a few other problems:
- Yeah, the section about the model is redundant. I guess it is useful to know they shouldn't rely completely on an imported model, but I think that section could be either cut out or extended a bit. [Possibly explain how the model should suit the theme, how it should suit the character, stuff like that]
- Those colors are a bit blinding. You should make them darker or maybe use the approved colors listed in the sticky. It'd make it better for the eye to put up with. =P You can just boldface words like Good Example: and Bad Example: rather than highlighting the entire thing too, but it is up to you.
- For tooltips, you might want to explain how to insert the data values. (Eg: <AHbz,DataA3>) That is optional though.

For the most part, you should focus on things that are generally cool/interesting to add to a hero. Not just via the object editor, but maybe like some inventory system or some effects and what-not. Use your imagination. =)

You also said the tutorial was a WIP. You can update it/notify me that you are going to update it, else I will graveyard it after a week of inactivity. You have the organization done pretty well, but the information is a tad lacking. Good luck though if you decide to continue it. =)

EDIT:

No updates have been made within a week/no notification of updating was given. Please notify me if you are willing to update again/if I have made a mistake.
~Graveyarded.

Last edited: