• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

how to make a lake with out cliffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
been sitting here for an hour now try to figerout how to make a lake/shore without cliffs. can anyone help me? plz

Level 9
Easy, follow these steps:

1 - Create a map with deep water only.
2 - To create land masses use only the height tool
3 - To create lakes (considering map is all water) just use the lower ground tool this is not cliffs, its the heights)

this way, it looks like a beach or whatever when ur making the map so it can be more realistic.

Level 3
Yeah

It's pretty easy, make a lake with cliffs (use dirt instead of stone if possible).

Next step select the "Ramp" tool which should be right below the raise and lower tools. Now click and drag up and down between the lower and higher sections.

NOTE: Ramp will only make a ramp 1 floor down, so you can't go from land to deep sea in one ramp, you'll have to make 2 ramps, or leave a cliff.

You may realize some corners can't be made into a ramp. To fix this, raise and lower land to make the cliff smoother (Teeth like cliffs usually can't be ramped, because you need 2 squares of clearance for the ramp to work).

That's about it.

NOTE: if you don't use ramp tools like I said, and only use raise height tools, the water will not flow very well into the land, and you will not be able to walk into the water either.

Level 3
Here is a picture using just ramp. It's part of a marsh. For the best results make sure to edit the height, but as you know editing height isn't enough by itselft because it will not connect land to water.

Also if the lake is big enough, you can avoid jagged edges, like shadow has said. But it's usually a good idea to keep the lake having mostly 45 and 90 degree angles.

Attachments

• marsh.JPG
    marsh.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 175
Level 3
d

Haha, he only asked how to do it, not how to do it well. That is all in the hands of the terrainer. Maybe you can show me wrong and post a picture not using ramp, I would love to see how to make a lake without one.

Level 27
When you use ramps to make a lake it puts a lot of holes in the map

o_O .. good that it is ME creating your rpg-terrain else it would ended not that good :p .. nah .. you can learn but ramps on a beach dont fit...

OMG! MODERN TERRAINS DONT USE CLIFFS UNLESS MAP IS EPIC!!! OR IS TYPE OF ARENA OR FOOTMAN! AND YOU C A N T CREATE GOOD LOOKING BEACH WITH CLIFF TOOL!!! LISTEN TO Shadowz123 FOR GOD SAKE!

Rofl .. btw its not true modern maps dont use ramps.. ADTS is quite modern and it uses ramps,even some rpg's still do use ramps .. what would we be without ramps? nothing we should higher every ground when we would like to make a wall or something .. ramps dont look that good .. but they are usefull ya know ;)

thx it worked fine :grin:

Glad ur happy..

Status
Not open for further replies.