• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to keep teams together in a melee map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I made a melee team map with two "fortresses" (4 spawn points on each side of the map), the problem seems to be that sometimes my allies spawn at the opposing side, even with "Teams together" checked and having the maximum number of players the map allows (8). Is there a way to force the players on one team to spawn at one "side" (player locations 1-4 or 5-8), while keeping the map's "melee" status, instead of it seemingly being random? I'd also like to be able to have 2v2 or 3v3 with two teams being on opposing sides if possible.

Last edited:
Level 4
Yes, well my intention was to make a melee team play map with teams on opposite sides. If that is not possible in WC3, that would explain the layout of the official Blizzard team play maps, which always has the starting positions arranged like a star, unlike the team play maps for SC2.

Anyway, I also wouldn't want for the starting positions to be fixed. If I switch the map to non-melee, I guess I'll also need to create a trigger to distribute them randomly, but grouped by teams upon game start.

Level 22
Don't use the trigger "generate starting units" and instead place the starting units manually. When you run melee scripts it will behave like a melee map

But the problem is, there are four races in Melee and thus four types of Town Hall and Workers.

How about putting some special units that will automatically morph according to the race chosen?

Level 11
But, just because it says it is non-melee does not make it so. Any change you make to the map that isn't terrain or neutral unit placement will give the message "The Map is no longer Considered a Melee Map".

AI will still behave the same as a standard melee map with the exception that they won't train custom units without the explicit changes in AI scripts. They will still follow standard melee AI scripts in most cases.

You can trigger the units created at map initialization in the locations you want based on the race selected and then after that run melee scripts and AI should still work. The game will still behave as a melee map regardless of what the editor says. As far as I know, all that really changes is a boolean in the map properties that changes "Is a Melee Map" from True to False.

Any Altered Melee is still a Melee map, but all of them are considered "Non Melee Maps" by the editor.

If making it remain "Is a Melee Map" then I would suggest trying what The_Silent said. It should be possible to make them spawn on the correct side of your fortress.

Status
Not open for further replies.