• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to increase the attack speed from Morphing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I based the spell off chemical rage. But I've read somewhere that the data - attack speed bonus is only for the tooltip. How do I increase the attack speed and ms? If I should do it via spellbook, how?

Level 12
I've read somewhere that the data - attack speed bonus is only for the tooltip.

It works correctly.

Edit:Omg wait

Edit2:Use second method.
1)You can change new unit's attack speed from object editor settings, combat - attack cooldown.

2)From object editor again, you can add a skill to new unit form which increases attack speed by percent.So when your unit transforms, its attack speed will automatically increased.

Level 5
It works correctly.

2)From object editor again, you can add a skill to new unit form which increases attack speed by percent.So when your unit transforms, its attack speed will automatically increased.

Thanks man! nice idea, I'll go with this, but what are the base abilities that i can choose from?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Units are limited to +400% attack speed and -80% attack speed. This corresponds to them shooting 5 times the number of shots to shooting 1/5 times the number of shots. It is impossible to raise attack speed higher than that without changing base attack speed.

Shows you how stupid so many map makers were when they added enough attack speed sources to get +50,000% attack speed and then claimed their map was balanced.

If you modify game play constants so each point of agility adds even just 1% (the smallest you can set is a multiple of 0.01, 1%) then after 400 agility your unit will max attack speed. This was especially noticeable in DBZ Tribute Ultra where you would hit those stats in under 10 minutes of play. For this reason if you plan to have a map where attributes scale into the thousand range then you have to make it so that agility does not improve attack speed or the map will become impossible to balance. On a lesser note this also defines the minimum number of agility points your str hero needs in maps with tomes so that he can compete with an agility hero DPS wise.

Level 5
Thank you for the info, I made mine to 0.02, and 1500 agility would probably the highest stat possible. But it can be only reached through the end game. Is it still balanced?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Actually the game maxes out at 8.666 (maybe 10?) attacks per second or something silly. I forget the exact number but no mater how lower you set the attack speed, damage point and how much faster attack you give it will hit this limit of around 8.666 or something.

If you set attack period to 0 a bug occurs which results in near infinite processor resource drain until the target dies. In reality there is some limit but it will literally cause the game to freeze until the unit is dead. I am not sure if the unit actually attacks any faster than the normal limit during this time.

The fact still remains is that the lower bound limit of attack rate is pretty huge compared to what some people think.

For hero balance you want to avoid this lower period limit. You also want to make sure that if you can reach maximum attack speed then your hero does [your attack period / average attack period] times the average damage of other heroes. Obviously this can vary depending on if you want your hero's attacks to be his main damage (larger) or his abilities (smaller).

What you do not want is the typical hero defense situation where you have a hero that attacks every 2 seconds and deals X+50 while the blade master player is attacking at 0.2 and deals X damage where X is in the thousands. I have seen this happen.

In StarCraft II the attack limit is slightly higher at 16 attacks per second or a minimum period of 0.0625. You can attack faster than that by simply damaging more than once per attack.

There may also be rounding in both WC3 and SC2 so there may exist attack speed break points (where 1% makes a huge difference then several % make no difference). There is also some element of randomness to the delay to stop the ugly thing of all units shooting at the same time during a long battle.

Level 12
If you modify game play constants so each point of agility adds even just 1% (the smallest you can set is a multiple of 0.01, 1%)
You can set smaller numbers by directly editing the war3mapMisc.txt in the map.

Actually the game maxes out at 8.666 (maybe 10?) attacks per second or something silly.
~45.45

If you set attack period to 0 a bug occurs which results in near infinite processor resource drain until the target dies.
I can not observe such a thing in 1.26a.

There may also be rounding in both WC3 and SC2 so there may exist attack speed break points (where 1% makes a huge difference then several % make no difference).
In WC3 there is no such severe rounding for attack speed.

There is also some element of randomness to the delay to stop the ugly thing of all units shooting at the same time during a long battle
Yes but that does not apply every attack but only once when locking on a target.

Level 8
If you set attack period to 0 a bug occurs which results in near infinite processor resource drain until the target dies. In reality there is some limit but it will literally cause the game to freeze until the unit is dead. I am not sure if the unit actually attacks any faster than the normal limit during this time.

Yes it does bug for a short time. I mean a unit with 0 bat will attack once and the game will freeze for a very short time then *booooom* one-hit kill.

Level 12
Yes it does bug for a short time. I mean a unit with 0 bat will attack once and the game will freeze for a very short time then *booooom* one-hit kill.

Again, I can not observe such a thing.

I think it's the "Reaction Delay (sec) - maximum: 0.25"(default) in game constants that does this, should affects any unit order.

Yes it is that constant. It only affects attack related orders.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You can set smaller numbers by directly editing the war3mapMisc.txt in the map.
Did not know that. However does the game still process it?

Yes approximately it seems. Also that is only for a max attack speed unit with +400% attack speed.

I can not observe such a thing in 1.26a.
Neither can I... Very strange.

In WC3 there is no such severe rounding for attack speed.
There is otherwise with +400% attack speed you would shoot 50 times a second not 45. Base maximum attack speed (no +400%) is around 10 attacks per second (will register as 10 almost always). +400% should bring that to 50 but instead it only goes to 45/46. If you go backwards from this number it would mostly be 9 attacks per second. This shows some error.

Struggling to recreate it... I forget what one had to do... It seems attack speed, and the animation swing alone are not sufficient. I remember encountering this with bounce attacks.

Level 12
Did not know that. However does the game still process it?
Yes, else I would have said that it doesnt work.

Neither can I... Very strange.
Dont count on that one but I also have a blurry memory of such an event many years ago. I think that older versions of wc3 had this "bug" but some version just set internal min BAT to 0.1 sec.

There is otherwise with +400% attack speed you would shoot 50 times a second not 45. Base maximum attack speed (no +400%) is around 10 attacks per second (will register as 10 almost always). +400% should bring that to 50 but instead it only goes to 45/46. If you go backwards from this number it would mostly be 9 attacks per second. This shows some error.
If you meant that borderline behaviour with your post, then ofc yes, with minimum BAT and >+350% additional points of IAS gives smaller boni.
For regular attackspeeds however everything is quite smooth. As smooth as it can get with floats : P.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
For regular attackspeeds however everything is quite smooth. As smooth as it can get with floats : P.
It actually depends how the WC3 engine processes the stuff.

SC2 has the problem that it only produces 16 frames per second. As such you can only attack once per frame so 16 attacks per second is max attack speed even though you can get smaller attack periods.

WC3 must have some idea of frames as it is impossible to have a continuous simulation due to the infinite bandwidth required. However how course are these I do not know.

I am guessing WC3 is probably about 45 frames per second or something, this would certainly explain the attack speed limit and the number is round enough to make sense. Maybe it updated 60 frames per second in which case it would show there is 15 frames reserved for other processes than attacking (target acquisition?).

These old game engines are confusing as they couple visuals with the internal state. This is why WC3 is so prone to graphic related splits (which SC2 is immune to ).

Status
Not open for further replies.