• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How to increase Attack Damage, Armor, etc. on regular unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I would like to make a map like this:

If a unit is in this region, every second it gains 1 attack damage.
or
If a unit is in this region, every second it gains 1 health.
etc.

I don't want it to be a hero. I know how to do it with a hero.

Thanks in advance for sharing your skills. :)

-Miz

ps. Can you make items usable by regular units? For example: a footman gaining attack because he has 'Claws Of Attack +12.'

Level 3
Got your back, Ralle!

This is how I would do it... but I would be wrong to EXACTLY what you want, unless your units all had defined damage of, say, 1-1 or 10-10.

First, Object Editor. What I did was Modify the Command Aura Ability: give it, oh, say, 500 levels. Make sure its aura has a radius of 0. Auto Fill Levels the Damage Increase % by whatever variable you want, and then:

Events:
Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time
Actions
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in Attack Region <gen>) and do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
Unit - Set Level of Command Aura for (Picked unit) to ((Level of Command Aura for (Picked unit)) + 1)

Simple, and gets the job done.
For the defense bit, same thing, only use Devotion Aura.
For added fun, do the same thing with Unholy Aura for regeneration, or Endurance Aura for Attack/Movement speed.

On the whole, you've got one heck of a cool idea! Good luck, and I hope I helped / gave you a lead to what you're actually going for...

My original suggestion would be to do the same system only using upgrades instead, but that will make every upgrade universal, and it would rise for every unit in the zone... Ralle may have a powerful little JASS system, so don't jump to using my ploys just yet. I was just doing what I could. Hope I helped.

Level 2
Chaotica.... your the shit!

FANTASTIC workaround. It sounds so simple and with no lag, nice! I'm gonna try it out!

I would still like to see some Jass stuff from Ralle. I would love to be able to write my own functions. I've been making WC games for years and never knew that there was an alternative to the editor until yesterday (I read about it on a thread from this site). I'd love to be able the write the code freehand.

Thanks again for sharing your skills. :)

-Miz

Level 3
Hey man, no problem. I fully getcha in regards to wanting Ralle’s skills. I’ve been a mapmaker for several years, but have never gotten around to finishing a single map! Granted, I have one that I’ve put about 40 hours into and it’s still going well, but because of my sporadic mapping, I have sporadic skills! Ralle’s the best choice, still.

Chaotica.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Re: How to increase Attack Damage, Armor, etc. on regular un

Miznunkey said:
ps. Can you make items usable by regular units? For example: a footman gaining attack because he has 'Claws Of Attack +12.'
Yes you can..
give him "Pack Mule" Ability,
Remove requirements for Pack Mule
Set "Data Can Use Items" to "true"

I attached what I did

Attachments

• test_155.w3x
    26.3 KB · Views: 205
Level 2
Thanks for your prompt responses!!! This is great. Now I just have to figure out how I want to upgrade my units. :)

To recap and consolidate what Ralle and Chaotica taught me:

-For normal units to use items (like claws of attack or tomes):
Use 'Pack Mule' ability
Change value 'Data Can Use Items' = true

-To make individual units upgrade
Create appropriate 'aura skill' (armor (devotion), attack(command), etc.)
Use trigger to up skill to new level

Woot! :!: They work great. Thanks.

-Miz

ps. Here is the trigger I used to upgrade individual units. It uses their mana as an individual countdown timer. :) When manna = 0 it upgrades the skill and resets manna to 100%. It is really clean and works well. :D

Attachments

• trigger_194.jpg
    trigger_194.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 456
Level 2
ps. In my last post some things are unclear. This will explain them:

--'Attack up TEAM 1' = region
--'Weapons Training' = command aura
--'Trainer_mana_reducer_ATTACK' = integer (I set it to 20. The lower that this variable is, the longer it takes to train a unit.)

I realize that you guys don't need this. But it may help others who are learning. I'm sure I'll talk to you again. :)

-Miz

Status
Not open for further replies.