• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to give a hero an ability that is not yet learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I want to make a map where heroes will be given a random ability that they can learn. For example a Paladin hero could be given Blizzard/Immolation/Critical Strike/Mass Teleport. The issue is when I use the "add ability" trigger, the given ability starts off at [Level 1]. I want the player to be able to normally level their abilities using their skill points.

Is there a simple way to add an ability that is unlearned to a specific hero?

Level 18
Fair warning: None of the methods below are actually simple because they require quite a bit of work - either a lot of object data editing or code. Whatever or not Reforge will introduce a simpler method remains to be seen. Well, got to work with whatever is given, I guess. All in all, everything depends on what you want in an ability selection and the number of heroes you are going for. So, pick your poison.

You can add hero abilities by replacing unlearned abilities via Engineering Upgrade. Attached map below shows this method.
Or you can forgo the default system, which has limitations, such as the number of abilities, that Warcraft 3 uses and go for something like Talent Jui.

Using a spell book as the menu would also do. Add instant dummy abilities to the book, and when the user clicks on those abilities, add to or level up the actual ability for the unit. This method used to be cumbersome with the requirement of a large number of dummy abilities. The advent of new ability natives has made things easier. Spell Menu System can further help ease that process. However, it will not show the skill points.

Attachments

• AddHeroSkills.w3x
    17.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Level 28
You could also give those abilities to the hero in the Object Editor and then disable/hide them via triggers then enable them when possible. (In case you didn't know you can exceed the ability limit that a hero can have in the Object Editor by clicking Shift+Enter and then enter the ability rawcode)

Status
Not open for further replies.