Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

How to do city terrain?

Discussion in 'Terrain & Level Design' started by fullmetal1288, Oct 13, 2011.

1. fullmetal1288

fullmetal1288

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm working on a new ORPG. Its my first attempt at making high quality looking terrain. There is no tutorial I can find about city terraining. Any tips?

2. Zenonoth

Zenonoth

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    There is no way you can find a tutorial that teaches how to make a good terrain, the main thing that makes maps acceptable is Terrain and Creativity, you have to do that by yourself.

3. Asip

Asip

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'll check your terrain if you want and tell if its good for a city and what belongs and doesn't belong.

4. HOooDy

HOooDy

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is NOT a forum to ask questions about the Editor!

5. XPQJ

XPQJ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    city terrains mainly are dependent on the amount of quality imports so your first step should be to layout a terrain plan in the sense of shape, and then either go for a full import set for doodads or go for a half set but make sure to accurately use small doodads to help shape the imports as they will be of different consistency from the standard models and will seem out of place otherwise. Tiles are often an overlooked element of a good city; imported tile textures can really help bring out the city aspect.

Don't use flat terrain even thought it is a city, and don't use blizzcliffs (really ever) but especially not in a city. Terrain mainly just takes time for it to be developed, just keep fiddling with it and using resources (with credits) until the image is what you want it to be in; persistence is key.

If you cannot find a model for something you want in your terrain a good idea is to look at some of the terrains in the terrain board and see either the model you want in someone else's display and can ask for it, or you can see how models you have access to can be stacked or combined to make a desired effect.

6. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    XPQJ summed it up nicely, for a more indeepth help you need to post some screens in case you already have something done.

For your further information for the future, this thread has to be placed in the Terrain Board.
    The thread will be moved in a short time.