• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to delete 'reforged' assets to save disk space??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Has anyone found a trick to delete the reforged assets?
My Windows install is on a small drive. It's literally at the point I have to either buy a larger drive or re-download Wc3 every time I want to play it on Windows instead of OS X (ofc it runs better with Directx)...all thanks to 30gb of outsourced crap forced upon us.

Level 4
I don't like that answer. But I still play Warcraft 3. Finally found a use for gigabit internet connection.

Ralle: removed earlier bad answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AGD
As already mentioned, if you want to play reforged you will have to find a way to deal with the absurd file size increase.

It isn't unreasonable that a 2GB game grew in size of around 28GB, some players even put wc3 into their RAMS or other fun things like being able to install it fast on another pc to enjoy gaming at new places. Especially when reforged failed to deliver the 2002-2003 game along with itself. Though reforged did bring in some shiny candy but even so the cost of lost outweighs it, at least we did gain something somewhat fresh.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
As already mentioned, if you want to play reforged you will have to find a way to deal with the absurd file size increase.

It isn't unreasonable that a 2GB game grew in size of around 28GB [...]
Who still remembers that the Legacy versions of the game are 1 GB in size?
:wink:

[...] My Windows install is on a small drive. [...]
How small is your HDD?
Also, what is your Windows version please?

making empty dummy files doesn't work?
Based on how TACT works, it is imho very unlikely that it would, because of online checks for file integrity. And even if it might theoretically work while being offline (which I have not tested), then I am guessing it may very probably generate a gigantic and ever growing error log somewhere.

One can have some success at trimming Legacy versions of Blizzard games, by using dummy files or by simply removing entire folders altogether, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.