1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

How to change things in your MPQ

Discussion in '"Graveyard"' started by acolyteofdoom, Jul 19, 2004.

1. acolyteofdoom

acolyteofdoom

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    In this tutorial you will learn how to change your main menu screen and unit models for Warcraft.

Tools Needed:
    -->WinMPQ<--
    http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Tools&ID=1

Step One The first step is to open up WinMPQ. Next, press the open button and select "War3x.mpq". This will show you all of the files included in the Warcraft The Frozen Throne game. All the files are in alphabetical order.

Step Two Scroll down to the section where it says UI. Keep scrolling down until you find the file called "UI\Mainmanu\mainmenu3d_exp\mainmenu3d.mdx". Copy the path. Next, decide on the background you want your Menu to look like. Here is the list of paths to look for for the menues.

UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\NightElfCampaign3D\NightElfCampaign3D.mdl - RoC Night ELf campaign screen
    UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\NightElf_Exp\NightElf_Exp.mdl - TFT Night Elf campaign screen
    UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\HumanCampaign3D\HumanCampaign3D.mdl - RoC Human campaign screen
    UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\Alliance_Exp\Alliance_Exp.mdl - TFT Human Campaign screen
    UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\OrcCampaign3D\OrcCampaign3D.mdl - RoC Orc campaign screen
    UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\Orc_Exp\Orc_Exp.mdl - TFT ORc campaign screen
    UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\UndeadCampaign3D\UndeadCampaign3D.mdl - RoC Undead campaign screen
    UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\Undead3D_Exp\Undead3D_Exp.mdl - TFT Undead campaign screen
    UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3D_Beta\MainMenu3D_Beta.mdl - TFT beta background
    UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\TutorialCampaign3D\TutorialCampaign3D.mdl - Tutorial background

Make a backup of your file and the original screen and then move onto the next step.

STEP THREE Once you have decided on the screen you want to use, right click that file and press "rename". Paste in the path for the original screen. The file you pasted into should replace the old screen file. Close out of WinMPQ and put War3x.mpq back into the Warcraft folder. Start up the game and check to see if it worked. If it didnt, you have the backups of all the files so you can set it back to normal.

2. acolyteofdoom

acolyteofdoom

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    To change your unit models, you will again need WinMPQ. You will also need a custom model. In this tutorial I will use the Beta Shadowhunter.

Open up WinMPQ and press the open button. Select the War3x.mpq and scroll down to where it says "Units\Orc\HeroShadowHunter\HeroShadowhunter.mdx"and "Units\Orc\HeroShadowHunter\HeroShadowhunter_portrait.mdx". Make a backup copy of these files. Copy the first path and then delete the first file. Press the "add" button on the top of the screen and select the model you wish to have in its place. When it prompts you to put in the path, Paste in the path that you copied from the original. Do the same for the portrait file. Exit out of WinMPQ and make sure the updated War3x.MPQ is in the Warcraft folder. Test it to see if it works.

This model works in even ladder games, giving you a unique feel while playing the game.

3. AnakarisTheDark

AnakarisTheDark

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    useful tutorial

4. gookywooky

gookywooky

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    just fyi, blizzard considers 'any modification of the MPQ' to be hacking.

5. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    what if ur playing b.et? Can u only see your models and they see the orginal. What if i make a net map and only uses the models in my mpq?

6. Jacek

Jacek

Resources:
    Resources:
    Werewulf, I think that will result in desync... For play every player must have same version and mpqs I think. Just like with for example AMAI, every player must have it to play.

7. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    but waht happens?

8. SeRviLy

SeRviLy

Resources:
    Resources:
    gah

to bad blizzard qualifys this as hacking or i would change it... :(

9. Modeler

Modeler

Resources:
    Resources:
    Re: gah

...So if blizzard sudden thought it was a good thing you would alter your mpq...

And why alter the mpq? You could just alter the map, then it works offline and on. Altering it for 1 player is just... Weird :p.

10. Graber

Graber

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yeah dude but tell my how can i add a new unit to the MPQ(with MPQMASTER), couse i tried, and from the MPQMASTER is ok but from the World Editor nothing happends why it doesn't work,he can't read or something my new unit...

11. cafa

cafa

Resources:
    Resources:
    You could also change the Preferences of the editor, click File - preferences - Video - change detail of models and textures, click ok, reset these settings. This will force Warcraft to reload all the models and textures.
    (font:http://wc3modforge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10703)

i'm having some problems when trying to change. should i change in the patch.mpq or the defalt ones mpq files?

12. Wolverabid

Wolverabid

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The information in this imported tutorial may (at some future time) be added to the World Editor FAQ.

~ Thread moved to Graveyard.