• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to Change the Hero XP Bar

Level 5
How to Change the Hero XP Bar
by Orc_Tamer

Basic Information:
This tutorial will show you and explain how to change your interface of your game by changing the XP bar for you hero. Making you map unique and very nice.

Tools Required:
-Photohop or Gimp (or any program that can save/load .tga)
-Magos' Model Editor Link

Step 1:

Open up Magos' Model Editor and go to Windows >> MPQ Browser. Then go on File >>War3.mpq. After that go on UI>Feedback>XpBar>human-bigbar-fill.blp (As shown below)

step1 copy copy.jpg
(This is what it should look like)
step2 copy copy.JPG

Step 2: Once you open that file up go on Windows > Texture Manager. Find the texture and right click it and export it to your desktop with the .tga extension. (As shown below)

step5 copy copy.JPG

Step 3: Open it up on Photoshop or Gimp (Either one) for this tutorial I'm going to use Photoshop. Select all of it and delete all the space so its all white now change it to any color you want. Now go on the layer's options and add these settings.

step3 copy copy.JPG
(This is what I ended up with)
step4 copy copy.JPG

Step 3: Save it as .tga and reopen it on Magos' Model Editor and do the same thing as Step 2 but instead of saving it as .tga save it as .blp. Now open up your Warcraft III Map so we can import it.

Step 4: Go on Import Manage (F12). Import your new xp bar and now your file. The Full Path is "war3mapImported\human-bigbar-fill.blp" and change it to "UI\Feedback\XpBar\human-bigbar-fill.blp" (Important)
(As shown below)
step6 copy copy.JPG

Step 5: Close World Editor (Save your map) and reopen it, now test your map. Your hero's xp bar should end up having a different color.
(As shown below)
step7 copy copy.JPG

That's It. Have fun making your own XP bar. :)
-Orc_Tamer

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 5
I wish there would be someone who would do this as a request, I used to be fairly skilled with photoshop cs2 i used to go to forums all the time and make sigs for competition but now i don't even have the program to do something as simple as this! lol i'm not paying another $600.
Does anyone know if the purple that fills it can be changed? or is that what the blue is? then can you change the black?

Level 5
hmm maybe you kal could try and make this for me =D.
I thought having just having not filled with exp would look black but top half would be red with jagged edges coming down like this

except the "V"'s wouldnt be letter just jagged lines and not all the same length and size. and when exp fills the black thats still there be turned to red. now that would be sweet. or opposite red background.

Level 7
well im testing out my rpg i have this testing in right now, gotta make a exp trigger so i can add some lol, havent finished my game mechs if i figure it out all of it ill see what i can do palin!

edit: i did something with some image that changed it to red like i wanted lol, now to figure out what image it was

edit 2: its the hightlight picture that does the filling -- and palin ill make that image asap -- bleach is on so im workn on it during commercials lol, should be a fast edit with the image i got already tho

edit 3: DONE! now just to upload it, but where? hmm attachment?
UI\Feedback\XpBar\human-statbar-highlight.blp is path btw to set it

edit 4: added another attachment, a preview

Attachments

• human-statbar-highlight.blp
    6.5 KB · Views: 649
  • human-statbar-highlight.jpg
    human-statbar-highlight.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 2,939
Last edited:
Level 5
thanks kalb! im actually working on 2 maps right now. and do you think you could make another one for me? you don't have 2 just wondering. I'd like the top to be brown and bottom black. but like it to when it fills the black turns green and not the brown. if thats possible. maybe the second image would just be same as brown one but filled with green instead of black so brown is double layered but will look the same.

Level 7
:its kal, plz, i asked u before in the sig thread too if u didnt notice --- and ye ill make it sometime soon -- the changing color on fill i dont kno if its possible or not -- ill make both of those tho, BG: Black, Spikes: Brown & BG: Green, Spikes: Brown

edit: Heres the two you asked for palin: Rename the files if u usem. or import and rename. Previews of them attached, see Attachment Thumbnails 2 and 3

human-statbar-highlightB_BlackS_Brown.blp -> human-statbar-highlight.blp
human-statbar-highlightB_BlackS_Green.blp -> human-statbar-highlight.blp

Attachments

• human-statbar-highlight2.jpg
    human-statbar-highlight2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 2,489
  • human-statbar-highlight.blp
    14 KB · Views: 455
  • human-statbar-highlightB_BlackS_Brown.jpg
    human-statbar-highlightB_BlackS_Brown.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 2,423
  • human-statbar-highlightB_BlackS_Green.jpg
    human-statbar-highlightB_BlackS_Green.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 2,420
  • human-statbar-highlightB_BlackS_Brown.blp
    8.4 KB · Views: 594
  • human-statbar-highlightB_BlackS_Green.blp
    10 KB · Views: 580
Last edited:
Level 5
sorry kal bad memory lol and thanks love u so much in a non gay way.
but will the highlite fillw up with blue? it didn't mean a second brown for the normal pic i meant that to be the bottom that fills not blue. but otherwise its great. red looks like blood but when you change it too green it looks like ooz =D

Level 7
i dont kno if the highlight will fill up with blue, i havent figured out 100% of all of this yet, its a bit confusing on how blizz set it up. Btw that first attachment, green/blue was for the other person who had requested one. I agree with your "ooz" thing and the "blood" thing, i can see it, but what about the brown spikes? cavish? heh.

btw palin, if u wanna speak of this more go to my "Kalbintion's Request Thread" sincei ll pay attention to that more than anything else really

Level 1
hi guys i have a little prob and kofi couldn't help me too xD

the problem:
i want to change the loadbar which means(i think) the statusbar when a game loads : UI\Glues\Loading\LoadBar\Loading-BarBorder.blp

well this one must be the right, I looked up all but only this one can be the right
how do i have to change it that it works?

mby changing the mdx too?

and plz dont describe how to make a path or something else cuz i change nearly all blp's on my way and it worked, but this one don't

help me thx :wwink:

Level 1
mhh it must be the right, can't some1 look after and look if it is the right, would be cool if it get it to work,

if you could help me u'll get Credit in my Map is promise

to the problem: all you know the loading bar when game is loading ...
isnt the path : UI\Glues\Loading\LoadBar\Loading-BarBorder.blp ?

just today i looked again but couldn't find any other blp matching the loading bar i wanna change

and again the dont ask just try by yourself and tell me when u got it to work, u guys would rly help me, thx man

Level 1
y its crazy^^

i changed bar too looks nice BUT:

also die bar i changed of casted units, i mean time bar thats going down to zero

why i changed too?

Level 8
I wanted to mention too that you may simply change the file with World Edit without importing a new file.

By going to:

Advanced >
Game Interface >
Image - Console - Simple Experience Bar

And then changing the art file to whatever image you want.
Like:
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNCriticalStrike.blp

You can actually do this with any and all bars in the game, like...

Image - Console - Simple Experience Bar
Image - Console - Simple Hit Point Bar
Image - Console - Simple Hit Point Bar (Small)
Image - Console - Simple Mana Bar
Image - Console - Simple Mana Bar (Small)
Image - Console - Simple Progress Bar

-Footnote-
If someone can find the art file of the loading screen bar, I'm quite sure I changed that before as well. Hope this helps save space for people.

Attachments

• Hero XP Bar [Critical Strike Image].jpg
    Hero XP Bar [Critical Strike Image].jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 1,274
Last edited: