• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to build a turn based system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hi,

I've recently got back into a PS2 game (Jade Cocoon 2) and was pondering the idea of creating it in WC, however I've never made anything even slightly similar so I don't know how possible it'd be.

Basically you control up to 8 creatures which can have up to 2 moves each. There are 4 elements available (Fire, Wind, Water, Earth) and each creature starts with 1 move in it's element and can be "merged" to give it better moves or moves from other elements (can't be the opposite element ex. Fire can't have Water type).

Jade%20Cocoon%202%5BH%2B2.0_Buzbee%5D%5BJC2%20Complete%20Edition%20V2%20-%20DarkForstPatch%5D%20(2).jpg

So in combat you pick a side and they use their moves of that element, so creatures on the corners attack on 2 elements (ex. Fire + Wind or Water + Earth).

Each creature has stats that increase it's damage with physical/special attacks, defense against physical/special damage and speed. The player with the fastest attacking creature goes first (Special moves are used before physical ones).

So yeah, I honestly wouldn't really know where to start with this. I had the idea of having battle areas at the top of the map where if you got in a battle you would be placed there and the fight would happen there. I also thought each move could be a dummy ability as they wouldn't really "use" the move as such, because you pick an elemental side to use rather than individual creatures.

If anyone has any tips of where to start with this it would be much appreciated as I've never made a turn based map before so I honestly have no idea where to start. +Rep for all!!!

Last edited:
Level 9
Hi,

I've recently got back into a PS2 game (Jade Cocoon 2) and was pondering the idea of creating it in WC, however I've never made anything even slightly similar so I don't know how possible it'd be.

Basically you control up to 8 creatures which can have up to 2 moves each. There are 4 elements available (Fire, Wind, Water, Earth) and each creature starts with 1 move in it's element and can be "merged" to give it better moves or moves from other elements (can't be the opposite element ex. Fire can't have Water type).

So in combat you pick a side and they use their moves of that element, so creatures on the corners attack on 2 elements (ex. Fire + Wind or Water + Earth).

Each creature has stats that increase it's damage with physical/special attacks, defense against physical/special damage and speed. The player with the fastest attacking creature goes first (Special moves are used before physical ones).

So yeah, I honestly wouldn't really know where to start with this. I had the idea of having battle areas at the top of the map where if you got in a battle you would be placed there and the fight would happen there. I also thought each move could be a dummy ability as they wouldn't really "use" the move as such, because you pick an elemental side to use rather than individual creatures.

If anyone has any tips of where to start with this it would be much appreciated as I've never made a turn based map before so I honestly have no idea where to start. +Rep for all!!!

Oh my god Jade Cocoon is like one of the best games ever? I'm addicted to that!

OT:
From what I can see, you definitely need to Pause units in trigger. You also need to control camera views.
For a turn based system, you need to just store a lot of variables really.

You're on the right track actually. Check the spells section first because I think I saw a number of elemental systems.

Last edited:
Level 13
Fixed the picture.

And yeah I keep going back to it and starting new games trying out different creatures/moves/formations etc.

I'm probably thinking too far with it but ideally I'd want it to be a multiplayer map which is just confusing the hell out of me... I haven't actually started it I'm just trying to put together ideas of whether it'd be possible or not. So far I have the idea that everytime a creature enters the game it would have to be added to an index which holds it's base stats, per level stats, level, experience, element, race, moves etc.

I think I'll just have to give it a go really and see how it goes... Any other tips on turn based stuff?

Level 2
I'm working on a turn based game like Total War. My round System is working. It is possible and not to difficult.
#Edit: If you want to see it pn me because there are things you don't need in your trigger. Maybe look a this thread. This should give you an idea: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/world-editor-help-zone-98/round-system-like-total-war-279859/
Also you need a fighting system which is definitly not impossible. You just need a lot of variables. Or you build a system out of the hero attributes.

Level 13
Hi Guys,

Think I have a good idea of how to do this and I've just spent ages writing down all the different beasts, moves and abilities so I can just go back to that when actually making them. So now I'm going through a model hunt, if anyone has any suggestions of models to use it would be much appreciated :)

Level 13
Started on it yesterday, got confused as I need to think it through a bit first.

The current requirements for are an indexing system to hold creatures and their stats (did that yesterday using custom values - will make it easier later) and a turn system. The turn system is where I got confused as the creatures need to be in the correct positions and you need buttons to choose which side you want to use per turn.

I'm gunna keep on it throughout the week to see if I can get my head round it :)

P.S. Will post it in Map Development sometime too

Level 9
Started on it yesterday, got confused as I need to think it through a bit first.

The current requirements for are an indexing system to hold creatures and their stats (did that yesterday using custom values - will make it easier later) and a turn system. The turn system is where I got confused as the creatures need to be in the correct positions and you need buttons to choose which side you want to use per turn.

I'm gunna keep on it throughout the week to see if I can get my head round it :)

P.S. Will post it in Map Development sometime too
you should. we are now currently talking about the map development issues. I'm waiting on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.