• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to BLEND two images together as one, with blurry border between two separate images?

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE: Bad wording on last version

How to BLEND two images together as one, with smooth transparent transition between two separate images? Or one picture's "border area" overlapping with the other picture gradually turning transparent? Yep.

Yes, I looked through Google and YouTube for any easy tutorials, but all they do was just put two images side by side, WITHOUT blending and "smoothing" the image border as a blurry mix. All those online websites only let you ARRANGE them side-by-side and at most they only allow you to make space between the two images, but not mixing the border area of the two images!

I need to do this to polish and clean my MegaCraft thread. Nobody wants to see a huge wall of text with few to zero images. But horrible random images thrown all over the place with sharp borders will only annoy people even more. Please, I need help with this problem.

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I got two ideas on how to do it.
Depends on how you mean really.
bbf163cacca2bb604f3ba107dc4a39ea.png

or
dfac31eef5d561e78a76595fe9e5403b.png

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
That depends on how different your images are really.
If they are semi similar, the blur will probably make it work decently well.
To make it look really good you will probably have to edit the image, which I am not good at. I merely know a few creative use of filters and tools.

I added a blood splatter image and made it transparent for the following effect:
6957f2e0db64ee676a4ac238aee307af.png

Looks kinda cool for splitting an image.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Try a Pyramidal Seamless Spline? It is done by masking out and averaging the DOG pyramids of the images over some pixel distance at each level.

The results look good because high frequency information is averaged over a smaller pixel distance in the final image than the low frequency information. This provides continuity at all frequency levels.

Not sure what tools other than matlab, and similar programs, can allow one to do this.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
But I don't understand what you are trying to explain?
I only have some rough lecture notes on the process. They do not go into much detail of how to perform a Pyramidal Seamless Spline on 2 images, only some rough pointers on the process.

If you are idle, try posting a screenshot will do?
A screenshot of what? The Pyramidal Seamless Spline is an image blending technique.

I think the process is done by first constructing DOG tress from the two images one wants to blend. Then construct a tree from the blend mask (I am guessing just a normal subsampled tree and not a DOG?) where white represents the one image and black the other. Then multiply the DOG tree of the one image by the mask tree. Repeat for the other image but with the inverse of the mask tree. Then add the two masked DOG trees together. Pixels at the seam of the mask are then averaged (not sure how). I have no idea how it would be applied to images with different base sizes.

DOG -> Difference of Gaussian, basically a band pass filter.

Last edited:
Level 50
How to BLEND two images together as one, with blurry border between two separate images? Or one picture's "border area" overlapping with the other picture gradually turning transparent? Yep.

Yes, I looked through Google and YouTube for any easy tutorials, but all they do was just put two images side by side, WITHOUT blending and "smoothing" the image border as a blurry mix. All those online websites only let you ARRANGE them side-by-side and at most they only allow you to make space between the two images, but not mixing the border area of the two images!

I need to do this to polish and clean my MegaCraft thread. Nobody wants to see a huge wall of text with few to zero images. But horrible random images thrown all over the place with sharp borders will only annoy people even more. Please, I need help with this problem.
Can you find an example image of what kind of merging effect you wanna get?

Can you find an example image of what kind of merging effect you wanna get?
I know I've seen one or a few in the past, but I've lost the links and seems Google don't understand what was I asking for :(
Sorry if my explanation is too confusing-- AH, wait! I didn't meant to be blur, but only smooth transition with transparency at the image "border"!

Status
Not open for further replies.