• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Optimizations for Hive's Icon Borderizer Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed a couple issues and "dents" in Hive's Icon borderizer tool that cause visual issues, rough edges and unnecessary loss of the original art when generating HD icons with Hive's built-in Icon Borderizer.

In this thread I'll be trying my best to explain my experiences with it and how the tool could be optimized via minor tweaks and adjustments.

And as someone who has uploaded over 40 bundles of HD Icons alone and probably well over 300 individual HD icons at this point, I'd say I'm fairly well experienced on the subject.

Issue #1 - Loss of Art
Let's say this is your icon, but theres a lot of cool detail around the edges of your fine art.
Sadly, the Hive icon borderizer just cuts off the outer egde of your fine art by putting the icon border over it.

cool details.png
btncool-details-png.431445
btncool-details-232-png.431468

Left: Full 256x256 art
Middle: Hive Borderizer BTN output
Right: Art downscaled to 232x232, then borderized (keeps 100% of the detail, 0 pixels lost)

I see two possible solutions to this that would work equally well.
1. Make the Borderizer compatible with 232x232 pixel image imputs, this way no pixels of your art are lost. (for those who want to crop/adjust scale manually)

2. Make the borderizer itself able to downscale the inserted art from 256x256 to 232x232 by adding a clickable optional checkbox before the borderizing process.

However, do make it optional, not forced. Check issue #3 for clarification.

Issue #2 - Rough edges, bad transitions
When inserting an icon that's 232x232 pixels, already has an BTN Icon rim or otherwise a solid black rim, the Icon Borderizer will create rough edges when yielding a passive icon.

Couple examples: (Solid white image used to best visualize the issue)
ewhite.png
pasewhite-png.png

(left image is inserted into the borderizer)
As you can see, the generated passive has its gradual black transition, but it's impeded by this solid black rim. This results in a very rough, "forced" edge that doesn't look very natural and is quite an eye-soar on brighter icons. Even worse: part of the BTN border is still visible through the black rim!
1681812077240.png

In my opinion, a very easy way to fix this is to universally (no exceptions) replace all space outside of the 232x232 pixel center with solid black and add a 5 pixel soft shadow on the inside of it for all future PAS and DIS format icons. (ONLY FOR PAS AND DIS)

Here's a little side by side example of the solid white icon again to show you what this accomplishes:
Naamloos-2.png
pasnaamloos-2-png.431419
pasewhite-png.png

Input image to the left, space outside of 232x232 is pure black with a 5 pixel soft shadow.
Middle image is the resulting PASBTN, its a much smoother and universally natural transition. (doesnt matter if the art is dark or light, it'll always be natural and smooth)
Right image is the result when inserting just an untreated white square (notice the ugly unnatural transition and solid black rim)

However, ONLY make it apply this with PAS and DIS format icons!
Because if you apply the black rim + shadow on every icon format, the resulting BTN will turn out like this:
btnnaamloos-2-png.431417

(forces an unneeded shadow on the inside of the BTN rim which doesn't need to be there)

#3 Auto-cast Icons
Currently in reforged Auto-cast icons have full art without any black rims or borders.

Example:
btnmanarechargeoff.png

Notice how at the top, left and bottom of the icon, the art is full and doesnt have any kind of border whatsoever.
This is where my point from issue #1 plays into. The optional checkmark that users would be able to click before borderizing their icon clarifies whether their icon is a full 256x256 pixel art, or a 232x232 pixel with already has existing borders, so it's clear to the Borderizer and it knows what optimizations to apply.

If this checkbox is selected (so the borderizer knows its full art):
1. The art should be downscaled to 232x232 for the BTN, PAS and all DIS formats. (everything except Auto-cast)
2. For the PAS and all DIS icons: the rim + shadow effect should be applied
3. The full unfiltered 256x256 art should be used for the Auto-cast icons

Currently the hive Borderizer forces a black rim around the Auto-cast format icons, which isnt consistent with the Auto-cast icons found in Reforged.
(Solid pure white image input)
atcewhite-png.431412

(it doesnt need the black rim nor shadow)

When the checkbox isnt selected or a 232x232 pixel image is uploaded, it goes into the BTN raw, PAS and all DIS still gets the 5px shadow and this 5px shadow is also applied to the Auto-cast (see example below)
atcewhite-png.431412
atcnaamloos-2-png.431421

Raw image input result (left)
5px shadow rim input (right)
Universally smoother and natural.

There, I've done my absolute best in trying to explain and visualize it. I hope you understand the points im trying to tell.

Last edited:
Long story short, quick summary

When a 232x232 image is uploaded:
- Leave image unscathed
- Apply normal BTN border around image (makes it 256x256)
- Apply black rim and 5px shadow for PAS, all DIS and Auto-cast before applying the other effects

When a 256x256 image is uploaded and box is unchecked:
- Leave image unscathed
- Apply BTN border that overwrites the underlying art
- Apply black rim and 5px shadow for PAS, all DIS and Auto-cast before applying the other effects

Someone uploads 256x256 image that already has a border, but the art gets downscaled to 232x232 instead of overwritten, the result would be:
wrong result.png

That's why not checking the box will overwrite the edges of the 256 art instead of downscaling it.

When a 256x256 image is uploaded and box is checked:
- Downscale image to 232x232 for BTN, PAS, all DIS
- Add BTN border around image (makes it 256x256 with intact art)
- Apply black rim and 5px shadow for PAS and all DIS before applying the other effects (but not to Auto-cast!)
- Apply Auto-cast to the full 256x256 image

Image on the left is PASBTN output from a raw 256 input without being downscale to 232.
Image on the right is PASBTN output from an image downscaled to 232 before being converted.
pascool-details-png.431447
pasprimed-png.431498

Last edited:

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Sapprine, good job making such a nice suggestion.

Right: Art downscaled to 232x232, then borderized (keeps 100% of the detail, 0 pixels lost)
This is not true. Scaling 256x256 to 232x232 will cause all pixels to blur a little bit. I would not be happy with making that the default behavior.

I would however not mind creating a checkbox allowing the submitter to decide if they want the border to overlap or shrink the source image.

Also. ATC, yes I could remove the black part. It would go well with the checkbox of either fitting within the yellow corners (retaining black edges) or going to edge and span the edge except for the corners.

will cause all pixels to blur a little bit.
Not if you use the right downscaling method.

I would however not mind creating a checkbox allowing the submitter to decide if they want the border to overlap or shrink the source image.
Excellent, but what about the improvements I suggested for PAS and DIS type icons?

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Not if you use the right downscaling method.
Not true.

I imagine someone drawing this in paint and caring about every pixel. They would hate to have it downscaled. You cannot represent the same data with a smaller resolution. So it has to be a choice to allow the artist control. If you ask me. I like control.

Not true.

I imagine someone drawing this in paint and caring about every pixel. They would hate to have it downscaled. You cannot represent the same data with a smaller resolution. So it has to be a choice to allow the artist control. If you ask me. I like control.
I also suggested control. I also like control.

But still, what about the optimizations I suggested for PAS and DIS type icons?

Status
Not open for further replies.