• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to add armor to Thorn Aura?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Thorn aura isn't as useful as the other auras, I think. So I wanna add armor to it.
1 armor for level 1, 2 armor for level 2, 3 armor for level 3.
How to do this?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Do you mean you want to add armor to the Aura so it applies to nearby units? Or add armor to the Hero that learned the Aura? Either way, you'll need to trigger it. The easiest method would be to add a hidden Devotion Aura ability to the Hero when they learn Thorns Aura:
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Learns a skill
  • Conditions
    • (Learned hero skill) Equal to Thorns Aura
  • Actions
    • Unit - Increase level of Devotion Aura (Thorns) for (Triggering unit)
    • Unit - Add Devotion Aura (Thorns) to (Triggering unit)
This trigger runs whenever you level up Thorns Aura. It will either Add the armor aura ability or increase it's level. The trigger may look a little illogical but understand that it works. This is because a unit can only have one Devotion Aura (Thorns) ability at a time, so trying to Add it again will simply do nothing. Alternatively, trying to Increase the level of an ability that a unit doesn't have will do nothing as well. The end result is matching ability levels for both Devotion Aura (Thorns) and Thorns Aura.

To hide the Icon of Devotion Aura (or any ability), go into the Object Editor and set the abilities Art Button Position X to 0 and Art Button Position Y to -11 (hold shift to set negative values). Unfortunately, I don't think you can hide the buff, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Level 5
Do you mean you want to add armor to the Aura so it applies to nearby units? Or add armor to the Hero that learned the Aura? Either way, you'll need to trigger it. The easiest method would be to add a hidden Devotion Aura ability to the Hero when they learn Thorns Aura:
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Learns a skill
  • Conditions
    • (Learned hero skill) Equal to Thorns Aura
  • Actions
    • Unit - Increase level of Devotion Aura (Thorns) for (Triggering unit)
    • Unit - Add Devotion Aura (Thorns) to (Triggering unit)
This trigger runs whenever you level up Thorns Aura. It will either Add the armor aura ability or increase it's level. The trigger may look a little illogical but understand that it works. This is because a unit can only have one Devotion Aura (Thorns) ability at a time, so trying to Add it again will simply do nothing. Alternatively, trying to Increase the level of an ability that a unit doesn't have will do nothing as well. The end result is matching ability levels for both Devotion Aura (Thorns) and Thorns Aura.

To hide the Icon of Devotion Aura (or any ability), go into the Object Editor and set the abilities Art Button Position X to 0 and Art Button Position Y to -11 (hold shift to set negative values). Unfortunately, I don't think you can hide the buff, but I could be wrong.
Well, about the buff icon, you are right. In addition, it doesn't stack with the devotion aura of Paladin.
Maybe these flaws couldn't be solved. So, I quit. But thank you all the same.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Well, about the buff icon, you are right. In addition, it doesn't stack with the devotion aura of Paladin.
Maybe these flaws couldn't be solved. So, I quit. But thank you all the same.
It will stack as long as they use different buffs. Or are you on some ancient version of Warcraft 3, lol.

You can also try setting the buff of Devotion Aura to the same buff as Thorns Aura, I vaguely remember that being a thing for "combining" the buffs but I doubt it'll work properly.

Or make the base ability Devotion Aura and trigger the effects of Thorns Aura using a Damage Event trigger:
  • Thorns Aura Trigger
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Takes damage
    • Conditions
      • (Damage Target) has buff Thorns Aura (DA) ) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Trigger - Turn off Thorns Aura Trigger
      • Unit - Cause (Damage Target) to deal ((Damage taken) * (0.15 * Int(Level of Thorns Aura (DA)) to (Damage source)) of type blah blah blah
      • Trigger - Turn on Thorns Aura Trigger
There's plenty of solutions out there. Here's a way to create an Aura that does just about anything you want:
^ I can't promise that it's as performant as Warcraft 3's solution but it gets the job done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.