• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How playable will the custom maps be in multiplayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Iv read some interesting posts from the internet:

"The Battle.Net service has a minimum delay of 125ms, plus WASD movement and tracelines serve to make the experience much laggier; Too laggy for a First Person Shooter game."

"You all say you love it but none of you realize that games like this will be unplayable on battle.net 0.2 due to it's half a second round-trip latency.

What you should be saying is that we're going to have to use the greatest map editor ever to make maps for one of the worst gaming networks in history."

So what do you guys think? Is the mapping limited due this lagg, if there is going to be lagg on FPS maps or so?

I dont know if these quotes are true, but its kinda worriesome since it really sounds like restraining mapping.

Level 11
0.125 + 0.125 = 0.5? wat?

also, the fact is that they messed up the button and mouseclick commands (because they must synchronize with all players, meaning that it has significant delay).

also rofl@that guy blaming tracelines for his problem. Maybe if he didn't recalculate the sin, cos, and tan more than 50 times a second it would be a bit less laggy.

Level 13
Just because it is possible doesn't mean you should do it. I hate to break it to you, but a FPS in SC2 is out of place. There is no way you're going to hold a candle to a real FPS.

Way to crush his dreams there pal.

It doesn't have to hold a candle to "real" FPS. This is because this here is a CUSTOM map/mod for a game which you get for free, rather than a standalone product of it's own. With your logic it's stupid to play RPG maps since they ain't going to hold a candle to REAL RPGs. Same goes for alternative and custom melee maps, etc.

Level 10
That dude, (the reaper arena one right?) did like a week's worth of work, made the game to MOUNTAINS of calculations, saw it lag, and then said it was crap.

Lag is part of gaming, get used to it...

I was playing Counter Strike the other day, and I had a lag of .8 seconds.

I was still having fun, and could still pwn people. I have an arena game in the making right now, and it has a lag, (WASD movement), but after a few rounds, you don't even notice it once you get into the game.

Make the game more fun, and you won't notice the lag.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Games which are FPS like Counter Strike use an asyncrnious update system to gameplay. This means that you can move fluidly however your position data etc are only updated to everyone else after the ping. As such a player might appear to warp or teleport in heavy lag situations rather than in SC2 where the game will start to pause.

SC2's syncronisation is near perfect, with all unit positions being exactly the same on all computers in a game at any given point in time. As such this means that they can only be carried out after everyone receives the order thus why lag is also increased due to extra waiting needed to keep this system working.

Ultimatly, they should have permited SC2 to work in both network modes, one for few units using asyncrnous clients like FPS do and the usual RTS method SC2 currently uses which modders could chose based on requirements. Currently however the lag ruins any chance of playable FPS or side scrollers.

However their tools do allow for sniper like gameplay (shooter on rails), advanced RTS interfaces and even better maps like swat aftermath for warcraft 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.