• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How does Armor Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yum

Yum

Level 3
I'm currently trying to make it so the upgrade amount from armor upgrades and attack upgrades is directly proportional. I.E. Level 2 Armor = Level 2 Damage

However, it's hard for me to determine how to do this when I don't really understand how armor is playing its role. I've been messing with the Gameplay Constant: Combat - Armor Damage Reduction Multiplier as it seems to be the only thing related to armor (besides types) in the constants settings.

But whenever I change the multiplier I get unanticipated results. For example, I put in 0.03 as the value (3%) and this is how the armor reduction came out for each upgrade (assume each upgrade gives 1 armor value):

1 = 3 (+3)
2 = 6 (+3)
3 = 8 (+2)
4 = 11 (+3)
5 = 13 (+2)
6 = 15 (+2)
7 = 17 (+2)
8 = 19 (+2)
9 = 21 (+2)
10 = 23 (+2)

As you can see, it started out nicely with +3 increases then it dropped to only +2, went back up to +3, and then leveled off at +2 again. So am I missing a factor here, what's going on?

Thanks in advance.

Level 6
Don't get excited because you have a reply, I have no idea what I'm talking about. However, the reason it goes from 2 to 3 to 2 and stuff might be because the increase is just under 3, and therefore only periodically gives the impression that its increasing by 3...

That's my guess. You'll have to experiment.

Yum

Yum

Level 3
Very strange. I've tried this with 5% in the past too and got similar results.

Level 12
He wants a "Level 2 Armor" be equally valued by players as a "Level 2 Damage" i think

I have a theory, but its only a theory, okay?

At 0 Armor, you take 100% Damage when attacked

if the Armor Damage Reduction is at 3%, it will remove 3% of the current Damage taken

which means this
0 Armor : 100% Damage Taken
1 Armor : 97% Damage Taken(3% Damage Reduction) since 3% of 100 is 3
2 Armor : 94.09% Damage Taken(6% is displayed) since 3% of 97 is 2.91
3 Armor : 91.2673% Damage Taken(8% is displayed) since 3% of 94.09 is 2.8227

now, this theory is quite flawed.
1. You can have 0.5 armor, and that is not explained
2. As you can see, if rounded correctly, it would display 9% instead of 8%

and finally, a tip if you want a Level 2 Armor upgrade be directly porportional to a Level 2 Attack upgrade, use the Hardened Skin ability instead of Armor. NOTE ANYHOW : It will reduce the Damage Taken by a whole number, not a percent of the damage recived.

Status
Not open for further replies.