• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How do you work when making a new map?

When you map-make, how organized do you do it?

• Pretty organized. Most of the time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kinda organized.

• Not that organized, but it depends on which map I'm working on.

• Not that organized.

• i just skrew around!!11oneoneshift+1..!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Do you make up the entire story before getting to work on the map?
Do you draw up an almost complete image (in your mind) of what your map will be like before starting?
Or do you just find an idea and start making the map and add some story halfway through/at the end of it?

Do you do a rough terraining (outlining every region as you thought them) at the very beginning of a map to check if the map size you picked is large enough?
Or do you just start working and then increase map size if it becomes necessary?

Do you do things one at a time or have multiple "processes" in the editor?
Like, let's say there is an unit you wanna edit. So you start changing it. While editing, you find that a few spells it has are cr4p (but the spells don't have anything to do with what you wanna change on the unit). Do you change the spells right away or do you leave them for later?
-Another example. You are creating a complicated trigger. Once or multiple times, at making unit-type conditions/actions, you have to create new custom units (because you didnt create them before making the trigger - but you did think of them when imagining your map). Do you, when halfway done with the trigger, edit the custom units? Or leave them for later?

Do you make notes while/after a session of editing, to help remember what to do when you continue?

Do you write Map Description and Loading Screen early or late?

Do you have long sessions of map-making or several short ones?

Do you share with others your map idea?

Do you use the grid option a lot? Why?

et cetera

I would just like to know how mappers work.
I often find myself getting bored after a while of mapping, no matter how much I excite myself over the map idea.

Level 8
For me, I create some sort of Basic Storyline first and then roughly sketch the terrian on paper.

After that I normally just Start making Units and other Stuff that isnt actually needed in the map, which I know i shouldn't do (i suggest doing terrian first).

Normally I do multiple Processes, normally reminding myself that I can change the tooltips later, but then going to them when im halfway through something important.

I dont normally write notes while im mapping, normally make notes of what to do before I start that specific part.

I write Map Loading screens and descriptions Later on, about half way through, so if I have any changes, i dont need to go back through the whole thing and Edit it.

My mapping ours are normally Long for the first part, but after that they are many short ones.

Always share my map ideas with my friends, seeing what they think, asking for advice and such. Helps make the maps Better.

And iv never used grid, I dont actually know why, i just find it annoying being there.

Anyway, there is about me and how I map
:)

Level 22
Im making a campaign and Ive thought half of the story. I write and draw every opt quest, main quest, and terrain and stuff.

In the beginning I do rough terrain to check the size. U cant change the size when the map is made (except remove side shadows)

Yes I do mutplie stuff, very much, but I make alot of notes of everything ive got to to.

I write map descript and loading screen in the beginning (I already know my story) but maybe edit em later on

What are sessions excactly? :p breaks or meetings or what? Im not englisch ye know

I only share my idea with good friends or mods (VG is about to test my campaign (2.3/20 lvls)))

Im only using grid when putting units or making things symetric.

If u have more questions, just ask

Level 4
Basically i think up how the layout will look on my maps and sometimes even sketch it out on paper listing some things on there. As far as story goes i mainly make td's so my story isn't the same as say an rpgs and it is just something i usually stick on there when i think of it as im working on the map.

How i terrain depends on the type of map i am terraining. i am terraining an rpg map for a friend and i usually put rough edges around things and make a rough copy to see if everything is as it should be then start adding detail doodads etc.

i almost always do 20 different things at one time sometimes that have absolutely nothing to do with eachother in the map like making a hero selection trigger and editing creep units at the same time(just for the purpose of example, i have yet to make anything like a hero defense)

Sometimes i make notes saying what i have done so far etc. exspecially with maps with lots of items/units or something like that but most of the time i can just remember what i have done and what needs to be done.

map description and loading screen i almost always leave untill the end unless i think of something while making the map.

my sessions of mapmaking depend on what i have planned for the day etc. i can work on a map for hours getting totally engrossed in it and i dont even think about anything else but the map. and sometimes i have to cut it short or i just need a break so i do some small sessions.

I mostly share my map IDEA but not some of the things in the map or some of the gameplay etc. but i usually share the idea with some other mapmaking buddies to see what they think of it.

I use the grid a lot because i am mainly a TD maker most of my maps need to be symmetrical and the grid helps out a lot in cases like those.

as for you getting bored while mapping, hey it happens to me all the time. the trick is to find something that you really like in mapmaking maybe an idea that you are interested in. like maybe you like sports so you make a sports game. but also splitting up how and when you work on your map is important. if you work for to long on nothing but triggers or unit editing it gets pretty boring. my advice is do a little bit of everything in your map session...than go play some good games on b.net!

Level 22
Typically I already have a story laid out (if it has one) before I start the map, although that definatly does not mean there aren't changes made during the map making process...some ideas simply come late.

The first thing I start with is terrain, and try to finish it as much as I can until the layout is developed enouph for triggers/regions/cameras to be put in. Once that is done, I tackle the stuff that takes a lot of work, such as cinimatics or large global triggers, such as ones that are active throughout the game (like battle scenes in an RPG) or spawn scripts.

After that I do smaller local triggers, like text event and smaller cinimatics and quests. After that I do object editing and perfect the units and doodads, as well as import all imported material I'd be using. For me, loading screen, quest menu texts and descriptions, and force properties are almong the last things I do.As a final, last minute terrain beutification and unit balancing, then on to play testing.

I use grids very frequently, especially in isometric maps. During play testing I take notes on small bugs or descrepencies I find so that I may remember what to do/fix the next time I edit the map.

I frequently get tired building a map, so I try to have multiple projects going at once so if I get bored with one, I can work on another. And no, I don't tell anyone about them unless they ask. No one cares about unfinished maps.
-VGsatomi

Level 2
My Alloran account isn't working. I get an error when logging in with him ever since I switched to "FI Black" layout...

Ramza, you can change the map size. Go to "Map Size and Camera Bounds" and check the "Modify Map Bounds" box. Now you can increase the size beyond just the "shadow sides". Although you have to make the resulting number(s) like 64, 96, 128, etc, otherwise it doesn't work :)

And about getting bored - multiple projects, sure, but what if you're bored of the editor itself? :p

Thanks guys.

Level 4
first i get a rough idea, find out its lame delete it and start again :p

well i start out with an idea, then start working on some of the terrian for the early areas which players will go the most, then i work on the heros and spells, then do more terrian and units and triggers

Level 9
I make a mental picture > Put it on paper > Edit > Then with the finished product begin my map (Its usualy about 3 paragraphs, never good to be to long :p)

I usualy terrain an area, then add units/doodads/ect. Then start with another portion.

I always comment out my triggers, i like to be neat & tidy. If i cant understand what it going on, theres a problem :p.

Triggers for units, i usualy make the unit first, but for triggered spells, it might not become apparent until you are editing the trigger. But i will create the unit before i finish the trigger.

My poorest spot however, is i tend to balance things after everything is done. I will create the units, then balance them all :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.