• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How Do You Make A 'Space Terrain' And More . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
1. Erm... Just to ask, do any of you know how to make a 'Space' sorta terrain? Like, a black void with white coloured 'Stars' in it, Thanks.

2. What do you guys usually use to do stuff like modeling, making icons and such? I might want to start doing that for my secret little map.

3. Do you guys know how to implement stuff like custom sounds everytime a unit attacks and such?

4. I might need some help with the AI Editor because I plan to include AIs in the map, might any of you be able to teach me, or recommend a tutorial, Thanks.

Okay, that's about it guys, thank you so much...

Level 19
Sorry To Bother You, But I Might Have More Questions . . .

Thanks for the information, but I might have a few more questions to ask...

5. How do you make it so that when the game begins, you have the cinematic style of screen (Like when your character is usually talking to somebody, you'll get this un-clickable screen) and at the same time, have floating long texts appear on the bottom-left of the player's camera view, with the texts disappearing and a different long text appearing every few seconds, just like the starting texts from Real-Time Strategy Games such as Dark Ages Of Warcraft or Azeroth Wars; Legacy Reborn?

6. Erm, could you tell me how to set the camera zoom at the beginning of the game, like making it zoom closer to the ground, Thanks.

Thank you...

Level 22
Sorry, I accidently deleted my post oO, Miss Foxy didnt doublepost.

1. I personally wouldn't use floating stars like some shiny models just hanging there in the air. I know it isnt so good but I use besides the ground to be black and white dots, the sky as well. For the sky you need to make a texture with many stars because the Sky model stretches the texture and if you dont have many 'stars' the stars on the sky will be very few.

Then there is some pretty cool red nebula created by I dunno who (no not WillAllMighty). I dont see it here but I have it.

And the rest is planets. You could even use the Orbit system for moons orbiting their planets that I once again dont see here but have it.

I'd also love to see some good space terrains in the section because my ideas are far from best.

In addition to that, some floating spaceships, a space construction like:

(I call it ESEC - Earth's Space Experimentation Center)

2. Modeling is taking time, the tutorials explain it all. Making icons is easy, you just need 64x64 picture and iconify it with http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/warcraft-3-image-renamer-62973/

3. You could use either trigger - Event a unit is attacked, Condition: Unit type of attacking =.. Action: Play Sound, OR change an imported musics path to whatever you want it to replace e.g: Internal/Abilities/Weapons/...

4.5.6 There are triggers for cinematic and I cant tell much about how your camera should be sorry ^^

Level 19
Just To Clarify . . .

About the one I mentioned in 5., what I meant was like like a dialog, or just a starting text like the ones in Azeroth Wars; Legacy Reborn, not a floating text like the 'Miss' one if a unit misses, before I forget, please specify the text size and position for it to be stretching from the bottom-left of the camera to the bottom-right, Thanks.

sPy

sPy

Level 21
Miss_Foxy: About the one I mentioned in 5., what I meant was like like a dialog, or just a starting text like the ones in Azeroth Wars; Legacy Reborn, not a floating text like the 'Miss' one if a unit misses,

• Cinematic - Turn cinematic mode On for (All players)
Makes the screen unclickable (just like you mentioned, but you'll have to turn it off back)

• Cinematic - Send transmission to (All players) from <Unit> named <Name> : Play No sound and display <Text> . Modify duration: Add 0.00 seconds and Wait
This is the dialogue you talking about, the duration of no sound is 5 seconds.

The other question I can't answer you...

Level 8
  • Cinematic - Turn cinematic mode On for (All players)
Makes the screen unclickable (just like you mentioned, but you'll have to turn it off back)

i think it's Letterbox Mode. :eek:

But anyway, yep, it's Send Transmission if you want the text (together with a picture of one doing the transmission) to be seen on the blue bottom portion of the screen. otherwise use Game - Display To All Players the text: Text if you want it to be seen on the camera screen itself. I'm not sure though how many characters it takes to fill up a line from left to right, as letter spaces are unequal unlike when using a font like Courier.

Level 19
Erm, thanks, but is there any way to close the cinematic mode after 30 seconds when the dialog is done? Please show me the entire step...

Edit: It's okay about that, I've learnt it myself, but thanks anyway... Also, could somebody tell me about setting a distance where certain floating texts can appear at, like tell me in detail?

Level 8
for floating texts.. i did these screen shots with the sample floating text. basically, the location of the text starts with the first letter. like if it is the center of a certain regions with the text "Hi!", on the center of the region will be H. (but i think you understood it already by now :p)
anyway, here's some locations you can try:

Using the Floating Text - Create Floating Text Above Unit with Z=0
FT01.jpg

Using the Floating Text - Create Floating Text Above Unit with Z=100
FT02.jpg

Using the Floating Text - Create Floating Text At Point with Position of Unit
FT03.jpg

Using the Floating Text - Create Floating Text At Point with Position of Unit, offset by (0,-100)
FT04.jpg

Using the Floating Text - Create Floating Text At Point with Position of Unit, offset by (0,100)
FT05.jpg

Using the Floating Text - Create Floating Text At Point with Position of Unit, offset by (-100,0)
FT06.jpg

Using the Floating Text - Create Floating Text At Point with Position of Unit, offset by (100,0)
FT07.jpg

With the offsets, it doesn't mean that it offsets X- and Y- with the facing of the unit, but it offsets with the default camera view. (like when you reset the camera to default view and you scroll the mousewheel so you view a unit full body)

Level 19
Oh, thanks so much guys ~

One more thing, do any of you know how to make it so that a player can zoom in when he types something?

Level 8
there is an action, Camera - Set Camera Field (Timed). you can use that to zoom a player's camera. by default, the it is set to Distance To Target, that's basically where the current camera is looking at. (and, i'm not sure what the other types do :p) you can change the Value to make it zoom in or zoom out, and from what i've checked default camera value is 1650, while the zoomed face-to-face view (mouse wheel scrolled) is 1200.

Level 19
Erm, may I ask, why is it that after I've done the model and icon loading, everything works now but in the character display picture (That tiny moving picture which you'll see whenever you select a unit on the left of the Attack Damage tab), nothing appears, is there any way to make the character appear?

PS: I made my character a lot smaller, I hope there's a way...

PPS: How do you make the camera zoom in closer to the ground when the map initializes?

Last edited:
Level 19
Erm, thanks guys, I've done it... But I do have more questions (Sorry ><), is there a way for me to do modeling or 2D stuff in Vista? Because whenever I download the tools like the Wc3 Model Editor, it doesn't seem to work, and I think it's only compatible in Windows XP...

PS: Just a little side-question, is there any way to make my Windows version into XP and back to Vista again whenever I choose? Sorry if the question sounds ridiculous...

PPS: Also, I need some help with Camera Zooming, how do you select the zoom to be on a specific point of the map for a certain player? And how do you make it so that whenever the player uses the Zoom Scroll during a game, he/she will automatically zoom back to the distance i've set, just like the one in the game called 100 Rounds...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.