• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How do I make a unit uncontrollable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I want to make some unit type to be uncontrollable by the player owning it.
It will move, attack etc, but only when ordered by trigger.
The player owning it wont be able to do anything with the unit.
How do i do that system like in Castle Fight?
thanks

Level 15
I don't know how it is done in Castle Fight, so I don't know what you exactly want, but I will just note, that locust also has side effects:
invulnerable, unselectable by everything, does not show health bar

Level 12
In Castle Fight the selected unit has no icons in the bottom right (all squares are black)
spamming move order in the opposite direction will make it stop for a VERY SHORT period of time (as if it wanted to do the move order) but it won't interrupt anything

Level 15
ok... so someone says locust made it selectable, someone else says the opposite
whos saying the truth? :S
This will make the Unit unselectable
unselectable by everything
We are both saying the same :).

With the side effects I mentioned, locust is usually not used on normal units. A unit that has locust no longer feels like a unit, because you cannot interact with it. It is often used on dummy units.

Level 4
We are both saying the same :).

With the side effects I mentioned, locust is usually not used on normal units. A unit that has locust no longer feels like a unit, because you cannot interact with it. It is often used on dummy units.
well, I'd like the unit to be selectable so player can see their stats, hp, etc
i just want the player to not be able to control it

Level 15
Is changing the owner of the unit an option (you can retain colors)? You need a player slot for this, but there are plenty of neutral player slots.
Apart from that you can maybe catch orders from the player and stop them using 0 seconds timers. However you would need to reorder their current order.

Level 13
In Castle Fight the units have the "Ward" Classification which blacks out the command card. They can still receive move and attack orders via right click. In Castle Fight when a unit is ordered to do "smart" the unit is simply told to stop and reordered to attack move to the opposing Castle.

For your example, I would recommend just making the units allies to the player rather than player controlled that way they cannot order them. However, if you want them player owned , you could try to catch when they are ordered to do something and see if it is what they're "supposed" to be doing. If not, order stop and reissue what they should be doing.

Level 4
In Castle Fight the units have the "Ward" Classification which blacks out the command card. They can still receive move and attack orders via right click. In Castle Fight when a unit is ordered to do "smart" the unit is simply told to stop and reordered to attack move to the opposing Castle.

For your example, I would recommend just making the units allies to the player rather than player controlled that way they cannot order them. However, if you want them player owned , you could try to catch when they are ordered to do something and see if it is what they're "supposed" to be doing. If not, order stop and reissue what they should be doing.
Alright, I'll try this
thanks

Also, no, I can't consider making them controlled by another computer player, this map already uses 12 players

Level 15
Also, no, I can't consider making them controlled by another computer player, this map already uses 12 players
There is also neutral players (neutral hostile, neutral extra, neutral victim and neutral passive I think). Maybe you can use those.

Status
Not open for further replies.