• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do i block my map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
i though i saw some tutorial but forgot how, i cannot seem to find it and i need to know how to block my map(protect) so that others cannot edit and use willingly.

ty lots

Level 28
I think its worth mentioning here that its good to leave your map unprotected, otherwise how are noobs to learn? And seriously, there are few maps worth hijacking anyways, which i will admit, mine are not in such category.

qft, all my maps are unprotected, with a damn good reason... (the reasons stated above: my maps aren't good enough to be 'hijacked' and I want the less experienced mappers to learn from them).

I believe you can also reduce the map size without protecting it (I may be wrong, though).
Protecting a map is when you've made an awesome project, not for when you start mapping.
An unprotected map is also a very good way for reviewers to check your current status and help you out.
I've helped a lot of people because there map wasn't protected, if the map was protected I couldn't help them...

Level 4
Also if someone really wants to see what you have in your map protecting it just gives them a little road block until they figure how to unprotect it.

Level 28
Ohh, by the way: a good way to protect a map is by protecting the Author Name.
The map can be accessed, but when someone tries to change the Author name, the map will instantly end when you try to play it.

On the hive, the author name is a rule that must always be followed, an invalid author name results in rejection.
That way, newbs can learn mapping, but they cannot upload the map at the hive (of course they can at epicwar, but every self-respecting user knows that 99/100 maps on epicwar are crap.

(Author Name protection can be done by UMSWE, if I'm correct).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Right click your map, and choose delete. Or do not post the map for public use and keep it on off internet backing storage. Those are the only 2 ways to prevent people modifying your map. Or you could replace it with a 0 KB dummy which will crash WC3 as well as logically it will not be your map.

(The above are not meant to be taken literly and are listed purly to emphisise the below, preform them at your own risk)

Basically as long as WC3 can run the map, people can edit the map, sorry if your found the word protection missleading as it basiclly does nothing to stop people axcessing or modifying your map. Yes it does protect the map from WE but WE is purly a high level interface for structures in the map which a person can modify at a low level. However vexorian optimizer does make it difficult for noobs to edit the map and as you primarly want to stop noobs so I guess it serves its purpose to a degree. However the main reason to use optimizers is not to protect, but to reduce size / improve preformance.

Generally I advise you leave your map unprotected, as I advise all map makers do and for good reasons. Firstly incase you somehow lose the unprotected version (eg in a fire, or some sort of EMP) and secondly so that if your map is good, people may continue fixing it even long after you have stopped playing WC3. Do not get me wrong, I am not saying you should give your most recent version publically available for noobs to modify, it could be the previous version or many versions before (that way editing it to make a fake version would be hard due to missing content / fixes) but it is generally a good idea to shair maps. Atleast I advise you to find someone trustworthy to hold a copy of the unprotected map incase something happens to you or your PC so that work on the map can continue. If your map has save/load you can always modifiy or remove it in the unprotected version to stop abuse.

I do however also advise that all hosted and mainstream submitted maps be optimized to reduce size and load times. Any source code maps ("unprotected") should be attached to a post in the thread. This is because you do not want all that heafty and nasty WE only data being trasnfered through Bnet when people download the map. You have to be considerate to all parties...

However it is up to you, you do not have to listen to any of this or even read this post. If you feel responsiable enough to keep posession of your unprotected map all to yourself and keep it maintained for the following few decades, then go ahead.
Be warned it so often ends up with people playing your map saying "why was *something* never fixed" or the map author deciding to come back to the map but having lost the unprotected version.

Level 8
Eh... Dr Super Good is right.. in a way. Even though i tried deprotecting a map once, trying to see how the guy did something and i failed miserably. So it is quite hard to deprotect a map, but yeah, if you lose the unprotected one somehow... then your messed.

btw Dr Super Good you mispelled 'share', you spelt it 'shair'

Level 11
their will never be another dota. warcraft 3s popularity already reached its highest peak, and with starcraft 2 modding supposedly the most amazing thing ever, their is even less warcraft 3 maps to be released. also we can suspect that a user who doesn't know how to protect (and uses the phrase block) isnt making a map a) worth protecting and b) "the next dota"

Level 4
2 things bad, 1 someone has jakced MY F***ING MAP and has claimed it as their own!!!! i would love to have that persons account terminated (am i aloud to say account name, or is that another rule i dnt know about -.-) SECONDLY, i have posted a new thread about my wc3 custom game issues, please look at it, name of post is Custom Games not showing!!!

oh to add to my custom game problems, IT HAPPENED THE DAY BEFORE I PROTECTED IT! so no excuses for protection did it...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
(am i aloud to say account name, or is that another rule i dnt know about -.-)
Nope, no rules at all says you can not post their account name. Only rule is that if he is a member of this site you must not flame or insult him and generally must behave in an appropiate way.

If he submitted your map to this site, please report it as map theft is against the rules and will result in major and immediate punishment.

If not then you must remember that the maps you submit to this site will always be in your control as only you can update them, thus fake versions can not appear as they will be obviously stolen and removed from this site. Yes people may host the odd fake version on battlenet but those games are dead ends and die out pretty fast.

Also as long as you keep updating your map, no one can jack it as the differences in versions become apparent so older fake ones die out. This was noticable in dark deeds whereby dark deeds 7, 8, and all other modern crap versions were based on 5 while the last offical version was 6 which never got modded. Basically yes it is annyoing, and a lot of people agree that people should not be so crule to do it but in the end it is nothing to worry about. All you need to do is set up one or two ghost one host bots hosting your offical version and soon I am sure people will forget about any fake versions.

Level 4
ITS F***ING ARCHANGEL666!!!! I HATE THAT BASTARD AND HE KEPT AT IT FOR 2 HOURS! CAN ANYONE TERMINATE, ruin his rep, or do something REALLY bad to his account! i haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa*500 hours later*aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttteeeeee him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also Dr Super Goood, i luuuv u for fixing meh weird problem ^^ *cough* my bad.... thanks.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Such an account does not exist on this site. Thus nothing can be done about him as blizzard does not care much for this kind of thing. I also said not to flame or unnescescarily insult people, there really is no need as he also sounds like a kid with nothing better to do. One should only laugh at thoses people's stupidity instead of getting worked up about it as they forces them to stop quicker as they get the wrong responses (they want you to get worked up so by not getting worked up they sort of just bail and run). Basically the more you get worked up about it and argue with him the longer he will keep at it as it is worth while for him to do so. In a month or two he will most likly have left WC3 or started annoying some other author.

However if he does submit a fake version of your map to this site, all you must do is reported it and it will probably be removed (as long as you can prove you are the author).

Incase you are not aware, we are not blizzard moderatrs or battlenet moderators so what happens ingame we can not do anything about. However THW is the largest WC3 support site and thus we do have some control over the WC3 community. Thus why we have fair and respectable rules to govern the site.

Level 4
he doesnt have an account on hive, but on wc3 ft, he dled my map and changed the creator info and is now making it his own D:

doesnt matter, hvnt seen him in a while now =/

so far the map is going great but im at a stand still for my lasted map D:

i got 6 tiers of units to make 1) FurbolgPanda model in hive models
2) Orc Warlock in hive skins
3) Pandaren Geomancer in hive models
4) Pandaren Kyo Warrior in hive models
5) None
6) None

then i need 3 heros
1) Storm (wc3 model)
2) Earth (wc3 model)
3) Fire (wc3 model)

problem is i need 2 panda regular units still :sad: but i cant find any non-hero glow pandas that dont write over original pandas :sad:

Level 2
Alright, well, here's my two cents about protecting maps.

Firstly; protecting a map ONLY prevents newbies from learning from it. Anyone who wants to hack it or actually cares that much can easily unprotect it.

Secondly; why is everyone so god damn concerned about credit? What does it matter that much who made the map, in all honesty... if YOU made a good map, whether or not it says it was created by Fredfredburgers shouldn't matter, as long as you see it on battle.net that should give you some pride. But if you really care about credit, use the author protector thingy instead of the map protector.

Thirdly; I don't believe that someone is going to come along and make hacked versions of your map unless it gets really popular. Just encourage people to only play the official versions hosted by you or your bot, or found on a site you specify.

Personally, I hate map protection, and think it is a blight on the warcraft 3 mapping community. How is any new mapper supposed to learn from others except by specific tutorials (generally not covering the exact thing you're looking for) or hours and hours of trial and error.
Also, people *should* be able to make minor modifications to your map if they want, IMO! I wanted to play Kyx's Ice Trolls with my friend, but on the same team, just surviving against nature rather than team vs team. However, the map ends when one team dies; that's not how we wanted to play it, but that's how it was made. I figured I'd load it up and change that, just for personal use as a cooperative survival game. The map was protected, and I didn't feel like it was worth it to go download a map deprotector and go through all that just to play this map.

I'm currently working on a map, and when it's finished, it''s going to be unprotected, organized, and documented, with easy configuration and explanations, and other mappers that I see do the same I hold a lot more respect for than someone who made an easy to make, unoriginal 1-hour map and protected it for no reason.

EDIT: oops, I didn''t realize this thread was already dead and ignored, I'm sorry guys ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.