• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do I add chill effect to Blizzard spell and Ring of Frost spell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I found some pro user that did it in the file I attached. But unfortunately his trigger section is a 600 page instruction manual in scripter talk. He got Blizzard spell to be no channel and added chill.

Also I want to make a ring of frost spell using "circle of power" building/unit. Which is great because the artwork file is in the original game already, I just need the technical know-how to give it an effect. Ideally I would like ring of frost to chill/immobilize target for few seconds and deal some damage. And a blizzard that chills.

Attachments

• Blizzard no channel for Addicted 2018-12-13.w3x
    52.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Level 12
Hello there !

What you want is basically an AOE stun.

I have one in my map. I base it on cluster rockets.

What you can do :

Create a modified version of the spell "cluster rockets" (Neutral Hostile - Hero), change the casting range, duration (duration of the chill/immobilize) accordingly, and change the Stats - Buffs to your custom made buff called "chilled" based on "stun (pause)". Change Missile count to 1, "Building damage factor" to 0 if you don't want it to affect buildings, "Area Of Effect" to the size of your AOE. I hope I didn't forget anything.

Then create a dummy unit with the ability locust and your modified "cluster rockets", give it 0 collision, remove its movement and attacks. Give it the special effect model you want (circle of power ?) and a scaling value according to the size of the effect you want (you cant test it by putting the dummy unit somewhere on your map and change the values until you get the right scaling).

Now create a custom version of "Summon Water Elemental", in "Data - Summoned Unit Type" put the dummy unit you just created. In stats - Duration put the duration of your spell (the unit will automatically get a timed life). Change the mana cost and the cooldown to the one of your final spell.
Give this ability the icon and the name / tooltip of your final spell.

Give this spell to your casting unit.

Then you can create a trigger like

• My Custom Chilling Blizzard
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit owned by *your player* Spawns a summoned unit
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Summoned unit)) Equal to *Type of your dummy unit*
      • (Unit-type of (Summoning unit)) Equal to *type of your casting unit*
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order (Summoned unit) to Neutral Tinker - Cluster Rockets (Position of (Summoning unit))
Remember to remove the location (position) with custom script line to prevent leaks.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Level 2
Very clever. Tyvm. I have a beginner understanding of events and actions, but "conditions" section really confuses me because I am not a scripter.
I would never figure this stuff out on my own.

Level 12
Conditions are there to make sure you only perform the action under certain conditions.
Here, we make sure we only cast the spell if the right unit summons the dummy and if the dummy is the right type.

The event is also a kind of condition thinking about it, but they are in fact a reaction (event response) when certain conditions are met (here the summoning of a unit by *your player*.

When these conditions are met ingame, the trigger is first evaluated (conditions are checked) if the conditions are all true then the actions are executed.

If you get in trouble with using my explanations for the spell, come back to me, I'll explain more in detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.