• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] How can I quick fix a crash in a protected map by editing the terrain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
There is an issue with a map that when players are playing both Reforged and Classic graphics in the same game, and someone walks over a bridge, the Classic players desynced and are disconnected. This is probably due to the bridge models being different. This crash is unavoidable as NPCs walk over bridges in this map. I was wondering if there is a quick tutorial on how I could make a quick fix version of this map just for now so players can play together. (As long as I can just delete the bridges and edit the terrain, this should be enough.)

I have used MPQ editors before.

I have already contacted the developer of this map and informed him of the issue and my diagnosis.

I have already asked him for permission to do this quick fix.

He did not reply to me directly but said in a public Discord server, "As long as you give proper attributions to previous map creators and as long as you state what of the work has been done by you editing ones map is always welcome."

I will wait for him to reply to me directly before editing his map.

Level 39
So you do not have access to an editor-openable version of the map but the maker encourages others to edit it?

There’s probably a way to edit the terrain and doodad/destructible data but I’m not familiar. The solution I see is to overwrite both of the bridge model paths with the same model. Extract one of the bridges from the game’s CASC files (opened similar to MPQs) and then MPQ-edit it into the map twice with both paths.

Level 1
He says he may make the map open source when he gets around to it.

Your idea is more graceful and possibly even easier than mine. I'll try that if the maker decides to give me permission.

Level 1
I want to thank you all for your ideas, I had no idea one problem could have so many solutions! (I asked about this on other forums, too. Each person had a different possible fix.)

This is just meant to be a quick fix until the unprotected version is made public, so waiting for the unprotected map would defeat the purpose.

There are various solutions I can try now, thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.