• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

how can i make a ship deploy on a vespene geyser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Base it on the mechanics behind how liftoff and land works for terran buildings. If you specify it to need the same conditions as the vespene gyser to land it should work.

For the actual gathering, you will probably need to use the mechanics behind an auto refinery. As you load more SCVs into the hyperion, the autorefinery ability is set to produce faster proportionally.

Level 21
the problem with liftoff is that it uses 2 buildings.(one on the ground and 1 flying) that would double my work with the rebel base. (my work is heavy enough already) it would be best to find a different solution though i will keep the suggested solution as a backup. please see what you can find.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
the problem with liftoff is that it uses 2 buildings.(one on the ground and 1 flying) that would double my work with the rebel base.
How would it double your work load? As the entries share a lot of values between them you make a base unit (rebel base (template)) and then extend that to your 2 forms.

This means that changes made to the base unit will effect both the extensions of it you made with nothing more than a right-click and Apply to Children on the field you modify.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
that would eventually make the map too big for battle.net
Wait... So you are planning to have >5000 unit types that can do this? Remember that maps are limited to something like 20 MB and that is not including the mods that they can depend on (which can be 20 MB each or something). Yes it may make 3 units but 2 of those units are virtually emptry shells (only the template unit actually declares most of the fields). Additionally you could probably use the same actor for both unit types.

exactly how many units the map will get isnt known. what is known however is that i will need custom models for some units. therefore it is best to limit the size of the systems used by limiting the amount of units used for each effect.

What he is saying is it won't matter.
You won't use 20 MB of space.
Just please take DSG's suggestions to good heart.
If you don't know how to properly assign duplicated units, feel free to ask.

Level 21
since both units have slightly different stats i will need to change them for the copy if i copy the unit. when the flagship deploy it is supposed to be unable to move while it can move while in the air. think ancients in warcraft 3 except that it flies rather than walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.