• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How can I improve this terrain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Hey.

I'm currently terraining a playable evil/darkish temple for the 2nd map of my campaign (Dreamscape). I've made around half of the above structure already, and am planning to finish the other half within the week. I decided to come ask for help to make it look a bit less messy and noobish.
I plan to use it for a few cinematic's throughout the campaign and it is meant to be used as an "escape the temple" area for a part of the campaign.
If you have any comments or suggestions on how to improve the terraining just say so.
The map that I'm working on is attached below.:thumbs_up:
*Note: The map size will be increased to 400+x400+ later on, as to allow for huge area's to be included.

Attachments

• Dreamscape Map02.w3x
    101.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Temple2.jpg
    Temple2.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Temple3.jpg
    Temple3.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Temple4.jpg
    Temple4.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Temple5.jpg
    Temple5.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 86
  • Temple6.jpg
    Temple6.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Temple7.jpg
    Temple7.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

There, some screen shots added.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

The dirt is just there because I'm still working on it (it helps me figure out where the holes in the ground are since the entire temple is the exact same tile/texture wise.

Level 10
The first picture displays the best, because it has got both an altar and an arch. The first picture is the only one that makes me think indoors and temple. The rest are really empty. I think the core of an indoors terrain is the indoors-feeling, and I think it's missing! Use more arches, columns, banners, and even walls anywhere units can't walk (don't forget you can remove doodad pathing). One key here is to add all the architecture view-strategically, so the player's view isn't disturbed too much. Another key is to be thematically streamlined: Experiment with architecture, use bookcase if you have the courage, but don't pair texture- or color-wisely distant cousins, or you get an ugly child. In terraining inbreeding often works better.

The big open, gory space with all the bodies, just before the big portal; I suppose it's not finished yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.