• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How can I ensure that icons are Mac compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I recently got a message from a Mac user that some of the icons I made/downloaded for my map cause him to crash. I have 165 custom icons and he told me a few of them that cause the issue.

I did some research and apparently if the Mipmap count isn't 7, then the icon will crash. I checked all my icons and the Mipmap count is indeed 7 for all of them. Some of the ones he told me that definitely had issues were progressive jpegs format instead of sequential so I fixed that, but some of the icons he said crash have exactly the same properties as icons that do not crash.

Is there some other way to tell which icons will cause a crash (I do not have access to a Mac)? Alternatively can I run my icons through some program out there that will make the Mac compatible?

Thanks for any and all help.

Send me your map and I can tell you which ones might be incompatible. Paletted compression is fine, but JPEG compression with less than a certain amount of "real" mipmaps will cause a crash. I have some information here:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/warcraft-editing-tools-277/blp1-mac-computers-235604/

There are a lot of problems with the Mac client, and honestly it can sometimes crash even if all your files are correctly formatted (e.g. Gaia's retaliation). Fortunately, the WINE/Wineskin version doesn't crash under those circumstances.

EDIT: I tested your 'Rise of the Horde' map, was that the one? It didn't seem to crash for me. But I only just selected a few units and moved around. If it crashes at any particular point, let me know and I'll try to reproduce it.

Level 17
So just convert with something like Magos that does not touch the mipmaps then ?
That is a pretty dumb limitation though since UI elements and some other things are always displayed in full resolution and as such shouldn't require mipmaps.

So just convert with something like Magos that does not touch the mipmaps then ?
That is a pretty dumb limitation though since UI elements and some other things are always displayed in full resolution and as such shouldn't require mipmaps.

It is pretty dumb, but it probably has to do with the way we "remove" mipmaps. AFAIK, Warcraft 3 expects a certain number of mipmaps based on the dimensions of the texture. However, tools such as BLPLab can save space by removing the texture data for some of the mipmaps and making the index point to an existing mipmap. For some reason, this crashes macs.

However, it is becoming more and more of a nonissue. There are only so many Mac players for Warcraft 3, and less than 30% of them have an OS old enough that would even allow them to run Warcraft 3 in multiplayer. Most of them would have to resort to BootCamp (Windows) or WINE, and if you do that, then you don't even suffer this issue.

It is a bit lame, yeah. But I'm not surprised that such an error exists, especially since all of the Wc3 textures have a full amount of mipmaps.

Level 8
Send me your map and I can tell you which ones might be incompatible. Paletted compression is fine, but JPEG compression with less than a certain amount of "real" mipmaps will cause a crash. I have some information here:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/warcraft-editing-tools-277/blp1-mac-computers-235604/

There are a lot of problems with the Mac client, and honestly it can sometimes crash even if all your files are correctly formatted (e.g. Gaia's retaliation). Fortunately, the WINE/Wineskin version doesn't crash under those circumstances.

EDIT: I tested your 'Rise of the Horde' map, was that the one? It didn't seem to crash for me. But I only just selected a few units and moved around. If it crashes at any particular point, let me know and I'll try to reproduce it.

My map is Coming of the Horde. Mac users report that the game crashes if they pick Horde (light blue, dark green or brown) and click on the Altar for strength heroes.

I can send you a file with all the icons in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.