• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How can I change skins with triggers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
The "Set Unit Skin" action defaults to "Hamg" (which is the Archmage). However, I can't see a way to change that to pick a different unit type's skin. The only value it lets me enter is a number, and all the unit codes start with a letter. I suppose I could make a custom unit with only numbers in its ID, but shouldn't there be a way to just select a different skin?

Edit: tried making a unit with ID 0000 and using 0 for the skin but that didn't even work. It just took the skin away and left me with an invisible, un-selectable unit.

Edit: It also won't accept a "string" or "unit type" variable and won't accept a unit code from "convert string to four CC code"

Last edited:
Level 21
don't know how to do that, but a possible workaround would be to import a copy of the original model under a new name (tools like disarm can pull models from the editor easily and save with new name), reskin the new one, and switch between them with a morph-type ability.

Level 2
well, there's a trigger that plainly says "unit - set skin". It works perfectly to change any unit to the archmage skin, because that's what it defaults to. But it doesn't seem to accept any other skin as input. It only lets you put un an integer (an integer that didn't use custom skin 0000 when I set it to 0). It also wouldn't take any variables that I tried.

well, there's a trigger that plainly says "unit - set skin". It works perfectly to change any unit to the archmage skin, because that's what it defaults to. But it doesn't seem to accept any other skin as input. It only lets you put un an integer (an integer that didn't use custom skin 0000 when I set it to 0). It also wouldn't take any variables that I tried.

Report it to the blizzard bug forums or @Kam

Level 2
I found a solution. Use the Unit - Skin function.
Unit - Set Unit Skin of (Triggering unit) to (Skin ID of (Triggering unit))

SetUnitSkin.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.