• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Holiday terraining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
I will be doing some practice terraining in the holiday .. ill show them here so i hope you guys can praise me or give me hints :p

1: Sunset
2: Forest side (Reminds me of guildwars)

Attachments

• Sunset.JPG
    Sunset.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Forest1.JPG
    Forest1.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 158
Level 13
The first image is very lacking of tile diversity. Try variating the tiles (like barrens rock/grass/grassy dirt etc. Then try adding some rock formations in and maybe some trees (If your using the ultimate terraining map try the Azune tree [or something like that..] because itll make a really nice addition) Also, try adding some vallys and canyons in the first one.

In the second one (which is really dark btw - had to adjust my brightness) try variating the tileset with the thick ashenvale grass and some grassy dirt and rock. The rolling hills look good but they are bare. Also, foilage tends to grow alot around the base of trees in nature. I personally think a small pool of water would look really good in screenie 2 with some cattails and rocks.

Hope this helps some. Good luck and happy terraining :wink:

2-P

2-P

Level 8
Use fog! Seriously, it can make your terrain look a lot better if used well.
Forest:
I wouldn't use those dark green bushes, they don't look good IMO. The terrain is too green, even for a forest. Try to get another color in your terrain, yellow would probably fit well to that Sunken Ruins dirt path.
And it needs more tile variation, especially the hills in the background.

Sunset:
The sun could be a bit orange/red. The gras is too green compared to the red ground. Since the gras is well placed you don't need to add many doodads anymore IMO. Just get something else besides the gras, maybe a cactus or two?
It's also too bright for a sunset.
Since you use the Generic Sky you could do a little trick. The Generic Sky is affected by lights, so you can change the day time to night (or dawn) and then use a light model (I think there's one in the Ultimate Terraining Map) to brighten up the sky around the sun. That gives a more realistic feeling.
I think I have an example laying around somewhere...

Notice how the sky around the sun is brighter than the rest of the sky.

Level 8
Another thing to remember is that custom doodads don't always make a good terrain. Try practicing with just Blizz stuff; once you can create something imaginitive and aesthetically pleasing within these limits, then try experimenting with custom stuff. It'll help you to advance rapidly and will give a good feel for the terrain editor as a whole...

Level 27
Yeah srry i could at least expect these reactions, i didnt do quite my best on these i think ... but i got my inspiration back now :)

coming up, a new 'Barrens' piece and a 'Treehouse' =)

they are both like REALLy plain MORE DOODADS and mix the tiles better

And wtf do i have to do with this?

Uploaded some screenies now here, i just realized i always had some difficulties with barrens terrain :p

Attachments

• Barrens1.JPG
    Barrens1.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Barrens2.JPG
    Barrens2.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Barrens3.JPG
    Barrens3.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Level 15
Yeah srry i could at least expect these reactions, i didnt do quite my best on these i think ... but i got my inspiration back now :)

coming up, a new 'Barrens' piece and a 'Treehouse' =)

And wtf do i have to do with this?

Uploaded some screenies now here, i just realized i always had some difficulties with barrens terrain :p

Those trees should be much larger

Level 4
Very good job... :emote_grin: I would wish, that i could do just as good terrain as that, but i must accept, that i'm a newb terrainer...

Level 4
I think it would be a good idea, so if i were you, i would do it...

Every one says that it looks better if you import, so you got that reason to import...

Level 27
The general problem with imported models (and i think i speak for all of us) is mostly that its just an illusion.. I mean if u can make a nice terrain with blizz doodads you would be better then someone who can create nice terrain with imports .. or its just where your skill is .. generally its better for me to import things and also for screenshots blizz models arent rly to be placed when you are going to make 3d screenies ... i will update them today when im home ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.