• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Holiday Hell - Merry Christmas all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
UPDATE: Sadly, I have lost this project's original unprotected file. I reformatted my hard drive and copied my entire WC3 projects folder, but somehow this map was omitted. Maybe next christmas I'll attempt a Christmas-themed map in the SC2 editor, but for now, this project is closed. I'm very dissappointed, as I had made a lot of progress in the fixing of bugs... the version posted on this thread was flawed with a major bug.

Merry Christmas everyone! In the spirit of the holidays, I'm introducing my current project:
Holiday Hell!

The objective of Holiday Hell is to get more presents in houses than your opposing team. Teams are divided into two teams of three, featuring the following people:

Santa Claus
---------------------
Santa is the gift-giver for the Nice team, and is a pacifist. He's a jolly old man who's only need in life is to make happy the children of the world. Santa must go back and forth from the North Pole and the town via his reindeer to deliver and get more presents.

Santa's Elves
---------------------
Santa's Elves are the backbone of the Nice team, as they provide the presents Santa needs to deliver. In addition to making presents, the Elves can make devices for Santa to use, such as the Grinch Net and the Shrink Ray.

The Townsfolk
---------------------
The townsfolk, led by their Mayor, have the role of attempting to capture the Grinch to thwart his evil doings, as well as defend the town and Santa from the evil Yeti. The Townsfolk's military costs nothing but time, and the Mayor is key in locating the Grinch with his Torch ability.

The Grinch
---------------------
The Grinch is the 'gift-giver' for the Naughty team, although their gifts consist of lumps of coal and other such terrible presents. He has a weak attack and is fragile, but is the fastest character in the game (even before using his Sprint ability.) He lives in a mountain in the east and must return there to get new gifts from his giant Pile of Junk.

Old Man Winter
---------------------
Old Man Winter is the spiritual embodiment of the cold, invulnerable and invisible. He has no direct attack, but casts many spells to hinder Santa and support the Grinch. The more spells Winter casts, the more he gains, eventually gaining some offensive damage spells.

The Abominable Snowman
---------------------
The Abominable Snowman (a.k.a Yeti, a.k.a. Bigfoot, a.k.a....) is the brute force of the game, a giant with the strength of many men. His objective is to keep the townsfolk on their toes with constant assaults so they can't capture the Grinch so easily. He can also level easily by munching on random villagers in town.

I've been working on this map for a couple of weeks, and just finished several B.net tests to work out the final bugs. This map is protected, but I can give out unprotected copies under the right circumstances.

Have fun with it everyone, and please report any bugs you find, as I'm sure there may be a couple I missed. I'll post this as a map after I'm certain it's bug-free.

Attachments

• Santa.jpg
    Santa.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 177
  • Elves.jpg
    Elves.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Mayor.jpg
    Mayor.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 176
  • Grinch.jpg
    Grinch.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Winter.jpg
    Winter.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 144
  • Yeti.jpg
    Yeti.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Holiday Hell(bnet ready).w3x
    924.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Level 4
Thanks! I was getting worried, no one had replied and it was about to fall off the board :p I'll upload my latest version, got a few bugs fixed and added in a -kick system. I was skeptic about uploading it, I have concerns that there are memory leaks, since I keep crashing every couple of hosts... until I realized it doesn't matter what I'm doing, as long as it requires memory, I'm crashing after about 40 minutes. Been needing a reformat for awhile now.

EDIT: And we're uploaded. -kick was tested and confirmed working, and I added in some helpful hint quests as well as a description of how to use the -kick.

Last edited:
Level 4
Uploaded a new version, many bug fixes and a major change to the gameplay. Instead of dropping gifts in houses directly, there is a circle by the door to each house that receives the gifts. This allows for doodads as houses instead of units, making it much more visually pleasing. No more houses randomly appearing as you get close to them.

However, if anyone tests this and randomly gets a crash, where the program just plain closes without error, let me know. I had it happen twice today and I'm not sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.