• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Higher Quality Terrain / Smaller building squares

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
For my Diplomacy map, 256*256 doesn't cut it. However, I can make the world larger by minimizing everything (I can zoom in too, so even if I make then 10x smaller it doesn't matter).

However, there are two "constants" that I do not know how to make smaller. One of them is the terrain (zooming in 10x will make the terrain look terrible), and the squares that you put buildings on.

Of course, I could just make buildings smaller, but it does limit me to how much you can zoom in while keeping perspective (walls should be smaller than Barracks).

So, essentially, I either want to make squares smaller, which I think is impossible since then it would be over 256*256,or have higher quality terrain textures, so it doesn't look bad close up.

I know that higher quality loading screens and unit textures are possible, so what about terrain? If possible, do you know where i could find some?

EDIT: It would also be nice to know if you think there is no way it's possible.

Last edited:
Level 17
So explain to me, what the hell are you trying to do?

Make everything 10 times smaller to fool people into thinking the map is 2560*2560 but losing quality in models while zooming in by 10? And what the hell do you mean "Smaller building squares"?

You shouldn't lose any quality having models 10 times smaller and zooming in 10x, try 9x if you're absolutely certain it does...

Level 7
Man I thought I was reading my post on my idea of making an oblivion map. I have the same problem as you do. I think u really have to decide on the terrain-ground quality looking bad for a super sized map or have a normal sized zoom with a very small map.

Alright the solution I found just now if your looking to do this is make that custom cam from the normal height distance and set its distance from 1650 to 1000. 1000 seems to be the magic number where its the furthest u can zoom without seeing the tile lines.

A 1000 cam distance from 1650 = 60% smaller world which means you get about 40% more room. In total thats a 256x256 going to about a 358x358. It isnt to much bigger but it'll probably be enough to get the job done.

I just finally took the time to do this while jus finishing a big part of a my zelda map and I probably could've used this earlier lol.

Level 1
Excellent! +40% physical space is good, and then, since on most maps people zoom out, I can make the models half of their new size, and still get away with the terrain. Then I do some nifty maths on the -zoom X commands, and to everyone in the game it looks like the tiles are just a little bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.