• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Hi, I'm new and I want to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello everyone. I have been using the WE of Warcraft III for years to make typical maps with the RTS game mode, customizing the models, effects, skins and stats of the characters and abilities but I have never deepened my knowledge about detonators in general or similar things and for this reason I have decided to create an account in this fabulous site to get the necessary tools to create works of art with the help of other people who know. So, I was wondering if someone could teach me or give me advice about detonators and those things, which at first glance look a bit complicated... for example:

Author: ILH

The water in this Video looks insane, how can I make the water look like this?

2. "Maps with Alpha Tiles" what do you mean with this?

Animated Sky Sphere

Author: ILH

I want to put this on my map and I do not know how :/

3. Make maps RPG, DoTa style, TD style with the detonators is very difficult?

4. How do the textures look like this way? i have seen other very beautiful and spectacular but this is more specific.

The Toby light engine!

Author: tobyfat50

I have many questions but those are some of the most important, I do not want to bother either, I'm new to this. Greetings and I hope you are well.

PD: Sorry for my english, i'm still learning. xD

Level 9
Welcome to the Hive! If you wanna know more, browse the tutorials at this site or thehelper.net (where I personally learned)

1. The map used a custom, animated transparent texture and mirrored the doodads by 180 degrees in order to look like it was reflected off the water.
2. This tutorial on alpha tiles
3. I don't understand what you mean by 'detonators'. Care to explain what these do?
And yes, generally, RPGs are hard to make. MOBAs are relatively easy, as they focus on heroes and abilities (not easy to balance, though). TDs can be hard or easy depending on how complex you want it to be.
4. Lots of custom models with additive materials and textures.

Level 1

Attachments

• Screencap.png
    Screencap.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 62
Level 11
Yep, that's the 'triggers' button. :)
There are a lot of tutorials here: WarCraft III Tutorials
This tutorial, for example, can get you started: Basics of Triggers
I think the best way to improve your map designing skills is to read a few tutorials and open existing simple maps to figure out how they work. Then you may start off you own project, but don't start too big. Try and make nice terrains and simple triggers to begin with. When you have specific needs or problems, you may search on the Hive (or a search engine, it will lead you to Hive threads or some other useful websites) to check if someone else has had the same issue. If you can't find what you're looking for, you may ask for help in this section: World Editor Help Zone
Good luck! :)

Level 4
I'm a newbie too though I haven't done anything properly at all, I'm following this post to see if there's anything useful for me as well. Sieben's links look quite good there.

Status
Not open for further replies.