• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Strategy / Risk] Heroic Conquest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Heroic%20Conquest%20Title%20small.jpg

Potentially pending a different name. This is a mod. Strategy gameplay. One race complete so far, ready for play testing. Alpha stages.

The gameplay is, from what I can gather, very simple. You have base building, which was a very popular gameplay element in the RTS genre between the 1990's and the early 2000's that is seeing its return in the 2010's.

I liked the armor system that Starcraft 2 had, so I did that. I can't say I /made/ it, as it implements the GUI Damage Engine developed by Bribe. Ace guy, even acer coder.

Heroes are different. Each race will have one hero. The races are, actually, somewhat drawn from the Hero, rather than the other way around (Blizzard knows what I'm talking about). Heroes 3 Inspired. The levelling system for the hero itself is drawn purely from Age Of Wonders 1.

Implementing screenshots of the map in action should satisfy the appetites of various users, although, in the end, it all looks like Warcraft 3.

One of the gameplay elements implements the Haunted Gold Mine system for capturing 'control zones' (formerly known as 'Gold Mines', but now the Gold Mine is what you build on top of them. Pending Team Colour).
attachment.php

I did say these mods often look like Warcraft 3. I also mentioned I liked the Starcraft 2 system. See what I mean? (I don't think you can change the word 'rank', although I would like to)
attachment.php

A fraction of the Hero system. In addition to altering statistics, there is also a list of 6 abilities to choose from for the hero as well as 5 passive bonuses which are displayed as items. The item slot you see filled is how many skill points you have left to spend. One thing I might add is an indicator of how many skill points it will cost to get what you want.
attachment.php

Undead%201.jpg

Undead%202.jpg

Undead%203.jpg

As you may have noticed, tooltips are at a minimum. You might not have noticed. I haven't really shown that too much. I removed them for now because I like the old school atmosphere of having to figure out what each thing does. Even so, there are some minor additions that will have to be made, such as Skill Point costs for each ability and attribute. After all, they don't all cost the same.

I'm not too sure if there's anything I forgot to mention. Have a map?

It's unprotected. (Alpha 0.1)

Heroic Conquest 0.2a

Attachments

• screencap 1.jpg
    screencap 1.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 945
  • screencap 2.jpg
    screencap 2.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 1,204
  • screencap 3.jpg
    screencap 3.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 940
  • Heroic Conquest ON Thunder Lake (6).w3x
    4.6 MB · Views: 294
Last edited:

Roland

R

Roland

I really like this project, I hope you can work on it. I'll download this and play it.

Level 35
Thanks for the feedback thus far :)

I had a play test with some mates just recently, found some imbalance and some concepts are being considered for tinkering and readjusting (Primarily the fact that you get Population from Gold Mines. Thinking of changing that.)

Originally, I was thinking that there could be an option for Control Zones of either getting a Gold Mine or a Windmill. The Gold Mine would, as it always has, provide income, while the Windmill would alternatively provide extra population.

However, I'm leaning more towards having more levels to the Housing upgrade, just like in Dawn Of War for the Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines. I am interested to see viewpoints on the matter, of course.

It may be prudent to mention that for future heroes I plan to include, for some of them, an option to increase population and/or income as an ability or passive or whatever, indicating that the hero places more of an emphasis on economy. But even then I'm a little wary of that idea (I probably would have liked to include an Income ability for the Paladin, but it just doesn't fit :p).

Level 35
Update: Alterations have been made to make the gameplay for the Sacred Order run smoothly.
- Additional upgrades have been inserted
- Gold Mines no longer provide population (that role has been replaced with an upgrade for the time being)
- Armour system is now fully functional
- Tooltips now tell you how much a hero's skill will cost (but will still not tell you what an upgrade does)

If there are any questions about the mod, I would be glad to hear them on this thread and will do my best to answer them. Additional races will be developed, so if anybody wants to suggest a race, they are more than welcome to it.

Level 35
haha, normally you're not allowed to double post, but they make an exception for updates, i believe :p
that and if the gap has been greater than 48 hours (or is it 24 hours now?)

and, as always, thankyou for the support ^^
hopefully you'll enjoy the new race, too :3 (there'll be plenty of new races)

Roland

R

Roland

The map is very nice including the Race, I suggest you might add More dark races.

Level 30
Played the game and I really liked the race yes though quite wierd is that the race is a combination of humans and angels. Though not really a problem because overall, it in the author's taste. What I like is of course the race (quite custom and new buildiings to build with new units and upgrades), where food cap can be can be increase through research (it adds more usefulness to research rathern than used in battles to upgrade units but now also to improve the overall status) and the units (they are quite new and a fresh idea).

Now on to the bad points, the buildings, upgrades, units and such doesnt have a proper descriptions to go with and thus we cant actually know what the building, unit or upgrades does unless we carelessly buy or research it. I suggest is add a description, may it be short or long at least it gives info about that specific thing.

Overall, I like the map and I recommend you to continue this so best of luck and +4 REP

Level 35
Yeah, the tooltips will be a bad thing, at least for now :p

I like the atmosphere of the older games where tooltips didn't really exist a little too much sometimes, but I think I will add in a little more information in future versions :3

Btw, I may reveal now that I am currently working on an Undead race, but have come to a sticky situation where I want to make the Vampire a stealth 'assassin' unit with infection capabilities, yet cannot find a suitable model for it (there aren't all that many on the hive, it seems).

I may use a placeholder in the mean time, but I need a reminder of what I want the role of the Vampire unit to be :p

Level 35
Update: Undead race is nearing completion, although at least several things will almost definitely not be final on it. Additionally, the Sacred Order will be tweaked in areas they needed tweaking.

Hopefully the Undead prove to be an entertaining race to play as, and they should be completed soon (estimated within 1-2 days).

Level 30
Hey there, bro. Played the new version with my friend and I used the undead and it was really a great match though what problem we found is still this description issue. Especially, in the hero's spells. We had a hard time getting use to the hero's spells due to it has no description and tells no information on what the spell does and on what specific target it is allowed. So I do think this is the right time to add some descriptions to better make it informative.

Overall, it still looks good and the new race is balanced though it could have some more units to train and of course some corresponding for new units. +4 REP for the great job on the new race!

Level 35
Hey there, bro. Played the new version with my friend and I used the undead and it was really a great match though what problem we found is still this description issue. Especially, in the hero's spells. We had a hard time getting use to the hero's spells due to it has no description and tells no information on what the spell does and on what specific target it is allowed. So I do think this is the right time to add some descriptions to better make it informative.

Overall, it still looks good and the new race is balanced though it could have some more units to train and of course some corresponding for new units. +4 REP for the great job on the new race!

YES! True, true, I definitely need to add at least a little bit of a description :p

Also, I'm very glad you had fun with it, how did the match go? ^^

I have a friend who absolutely loves the Undead's Zombies atm :p

(been working on another race lately, btw, I'll also try and add in some descriptions on things :3)

Level 35
ah yeah, the lich is a bit of a strange one :p

i am thinking of replacing the hand of death ability with an ethereal form ability, actually, as it's just a damage spell atm

a friend of mine absolutely loves getting the necromancy towers instead of a boneyard at the start and using free zombies in the early game, so i've left the techtree like that to make the strategy viable :p (zombies are fun ^^)

Level 35
Update:

Been working on some new races, I have one that is, for all intents and purposes, complete, but I don't want to release it without another race to go with it, at least not yet. Although I might after do that anyway, seeing as how it's mostly just been a matter of perfecting it without having much of an idea of what 'perfection' would be in this case.

Do let me know if you'd like me to release the completed race on its own so you can have a play of it for yourself, though :]

Status
Not open for further replies.