• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Heroes of Newerth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
So it looks like this site will have some areas for the Galaxy Editor in SC2. As most DotA players know, Heroes of Newerth will have a map editor released with it. Wondering if Hive is going to have any forums for it.

Level 5
Heroes of Newerth is not really a rip off. The game goes well with the Savage 1 and 2 lore, and they have been planning the project for over 3 years. s2 games K2 Engine is just superb!

After playing HoN for awhile...It really is hard for me to even play DotA. The Engine is just so beautiful.

SwampRaider, of course it's a rip of DotA. They have Pudge with every skill of his for crying out loud. If you look at the heroes and check out their spells, you will realize what equivalent hero of DotA they are. They have creeps and lanes, just like DotA; even the UI looks alike and they have been planning this for three years? Sorry, I don't believe that. Just because it is beautiful (and I totally agree), it doesn't mean it's original. It's a higher definition DotA; that's it.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Technically, it's not a rip-off, but a remake with better technology, and conveniently adapted to the Savage universe. They had IceFrog's consent to use DotA heroes, items and environment.

I doubt the HoN Editor will be anything compared to WE and GE though, so incorporating a HoN modding board into this forum seems a couple steps too far.

Level 5
I think it sounds like a good idea.

wow!

That sounds like some cool news right there. The k2 Engine is an amazing thing to work with, and it has great potential since it supports both RTS and FPS gaming.

on the HoN boards, they already have people pumping out awesome custom models. and they listen to peoples hero and item suggestions.

Did you know it costs them about 30,000 dollars to make 1 hero? (really think about it, its more complicated than it seems..wages,insurance and all that jazz is included in the cost)

Level 8
They just stole those ideas directly from DotA.

And then again, Guinsoo and IceFrog also stole those same ideas from other maps, and you cant really know where those maps got them so...

In the end you cant really accuse people from stealing ideas, because you cant exactly know where they originally came from.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Well if it is going to be a very popular modding platform I don't see why not. One could say that Warcraft is a RTS, Age of Empires is a RTS, then Warcraft is a ripoff of Age of Empires.
If AON is really going to be a big thing I don't see why not. But I am not going to play nor mod it so we would need a very active person to control that area of the site if we were to add that area. But all this is for THW2.0 which I am working on. I will make it easier to expand the site.

Level 27
Rip-offs are good too if they are well-made. You know nobody yells at cook who makes only one kind of dish if that dish is made very well...
Well okay, maybe we could add the HoN to our supported games, but if it will be popular and most of people agree with the idea (you can just make a poll to decide). Also I'm curious if WC, SC and HoN will be the only supported games then or maybe we'll add other games that will be good enough too or (Probably in far-far-away future) it will become a modders Facebook that will support lots of games?

Level 7
IMHO, if we're all artists and scripters and modders that like to be creative here on the hive - and if the HoN editor is even comparable (dare I say, an improvement) to the WE as a medium for all of our creativity, then adding a HoN section to this website would be nothing but beneficial.

Elsewise I might just have to move to another website that does support HoN editor discussion. But this is all speculation at this point anyway...

Level 5
I personally dislike Heroes of Newerth (prefer League of Legends), but if the editor is good and enough people here are using it I don't see a reason why not to create a sub-forum for it.

Level 25
League of legends beats the hell out of HoN.

No offense i bow down to the graphic's in HoN but seriously?
Is there anything new in HoN that isn't in Dota already?

Lol at least tries to implement new things and is great in it, we get 1 new champ per week, every champ has a unique play style, the support for newbies is awesome due to tips for every champ and recommended items and the shop in LoL is far more organized and clear than in HoN.

Lol just released a new playable map also and is intended to have 12 maps for play in the future.

Im getting offtopic here...

Anyway im indifferent about this, since i don't like HoN but if LoL gets an editor i hope it will have a place on this site.

Level 14
League of legends beats the hell out of HoN.

No offense i bow down to the graphic's in HoN but seriously?
Is there anything new in HoN that isn't in Dota already?

Lol at least tries to implement new things and is great in it, we get 1 new champ per week, every champ has a unique play style, the support for newbies is awesome due to tips for every champ and recommended items and the shop in LoL is far more organized and clear than in HoN.

Lol just released a new playable map also and is intended to have 12 maps for play in the future.

Im getting offtopic here...

Anyway im indifferent about this, since i don't like HoN but if LoL gets an editor i hope it will have a place on this site.

I don't play LOL but I do play HoN.
And I agree that the interface seems overly complicated for no reason.
From the moment you log, to checking your friend list, to joining and starting a game. I mean seriously, the interface is really messy.

And yeah there are items and heroes which are in HoN but not in DotA.

Although the graphics are good, the software itself is really buggy. A lot of people just get errors which are really annoying, because you can be in a major battle or something important and than "K2 error", HoN has closed.
The good thing though is that you can re-connect to the game, although you previously disconected.

Level 16
I don't play LOL but I do play HoN.
And I agree that the interface seems overly complicated for no reason.
From the moment you log, to checking your friend list, to joining and starting a game. I mean seriously, the interface is really messy.

And yeah there are items and heroes which are in HoN but not in DotA.

Although the graphics are good, the software itself is really buggy. A lot of people just get errors which are really annoying, because you can be in a major battle or something important and than "K2 error", HoN has closed.
The good thing though is that you can re-connect to the game, although you previously disconected.

I agree with it! The interface not very nice now. It just hard to see where is the button at. The errors are pissed me off the games every times. That was annoying. I think they has some good points in HoN to be created. There has some functions Warcraft didn't have. Nothing bad with HoN.

Level 7
Im really looking forward to getting to work with a new editor and a new engine. I dont like Sci-fi so Im prob not gonna mod SC2 but HoN is an awesome game and also it's fantasy so \o/

isnt Icefrog already inside the HON team?
Nope, they just wanted his confirmation. He's in a small group from valve now, creating something better than dota.
In October 2009, Icefrog was hired by Valve Corporation, leading a team in a project that he has described as "great news for DotA fans".

Technically, it's not a rip-off, but a remake with better technology, and conveniently adapted to the Savage universe. They had IceFrog's consent to use DotA heroes, items and environment.

I doubt the HoN Editor will be anything compared to WE and GE though, so incorporating a HoN modding board into this forum seems a couple steps too far.

Yeah, ./offtopic, Pudge is a ripoff. DotA is a ripoff. GTFO ICEFROG! Anyway, i wouldn't support an RPG game with an editor for the hive. I just don't feel like it would be a good idea. I feel that Icefrog is gonna remake his map in HoN...

Status
Not open for further replies.