• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Heroes of Might and Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
So, I've been replaying HoMM 3, I finished the New Beginning campaign of Shadow of Death. At some point it felt unfair and I started cheating, but then I thought: damn, no, I've got to do this without cheats. Took me quite a few attempts, but I managed to pass the whole campaign clean of cheats =)

Does anyone else feel like the undead faction is way overpowered? Those relatively cheap black knights are way too powerful, vampire lords are way too hard to beat unless you can snipe them with ranged forces (hard unless you have global Slow spell), liches deal massive AoE dmg and all their units are immune to spells like Blind.

What drove me to pass the campaigns without cheats was both the deterministic and the non-deterministic parts of the game, to be honest. I don't know if I'm influenced by my introduction to artificial intelligence classes, but it just feels funnier somehow. There was a battle in Gem's campaign that I repeated 4 times before the Luck factor finally played in my favor. Whilst slightly annoying, it was also fun somehow.

Share your opinions =)

P.S. — There's a thread for the Might and Magic series here.

P.P.S — I forgot to say I missed the soundtrack as well. =)

Level 25
What makes the Undead OP are their Skeletons and Vampires.
But yes, it's a great game that I've played countless times. :)

Don't stand in a cluster with your units and the Liches' AOE damage doesn't hit you as hard, the Elfs Ranger (attacking twice), that's an OP unit :p

Level 9
Ah Heroes of Might and Magic. One of the games i played when i was really young. Anyway the undead are so OP, because every week you can go to the tavern. Buy a hero and turn his minions into skeletons. So you can just have like 200 skeletons in like 2 weeks. Also the vampires have always been OP. In HOMM 5 too they are so strong since they dont get retaliated unless you have the third upgrade (i always use the second), but i did a duel in HOMM 5 Inferno vs Necropolis and Inferno won since their gating or gatling spell is so damn OP. Anyway ive never completed the campaign tho. I really suck at this game :p

Level 21
I don't understand the skeleton thing, every faction can buy heroes and in most cases heroes are player faction so they can use creatures anyway with no need of converting (also everyone can do this). Necropolis to convert other creatures in to undead need Shrine of Netherworld building, so how is it cost efficient to buy new heroes that cost 3000 gold, plus converting building and plus to reach town level 9 and then upgrading skeletons in to archers. Oh and archers cost just 30 gold. Updated necromancy also won't help you much as you depend of creeps and you need to wait a whole week to refill dark points anyway. Of course also Necropolis units are statistically weak so they are supposed to have number superiority, 200 skeletons aren't that scary. Before updated Necromancy when it worked like in HoMM3 it was easy to get 1000 skeletons now that was OP.

Vampires always had no-retaliation/flight but they aren't OP (at least not in Homm5), they are just good units. I also actually prefer Vampire Prince upgrade because they stun enemy unit for two turns and stats are higher.

Duels are honestly unbalanced, and gating isn't really op as it is more necessary for Inferno as they lack ranged power. Now if Inferno hero reached level 26 and has Urgash Call and all other skills to boost number of gated creatures then it is different story (implying hero gets all of this before game is over). Of course you can just ignore gated units as you don't need to kill them to win and in regular Heroes 5 just use Banish to kill all summoned units. Oh and I am replaying the game and am at last ToE mission.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I was talking solely about Heroes 3, in case anyone got confused. I also have Heroes IV that I plan to play again at some point, but for now I was just playing III.

P.S. — About the Might and Magic thread being locked. I knew it was, you'll have to ask for a reopening.

Level 9
Well, the title has no number 3. So we are free to talk about any heroes game :) For example how heroes 6 is shit and heroes 7 is just a pimped version of it.
Well 3 and 5 are the best ones. Ive never played 6 or 7, but they seem shit. And the 4-th one feels like another game. It so weird that HoMM 3 had so many things different from the 4-th one, but when 5-th came out it felt like the third one again. So i guess the things they added in the 4-th one were too crappy. The first one never played it so dont know. And second was was meh for me.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I've been playing a few hours every weekend and I've passed most chapters of the Shadow of Death campaign. Today I finished the Elixir of Life with Gelu and started Sandro's sub-campaign. Turning all your dead enemies to Liches is way too imba.

Also came across and loved the HoMM 2 Sorceress Town music while giving HoMM 2 soundtrack a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.