• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[UDK] Might and Magic Tribute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Haha, Im an American so I dont have that benefit.

True you could. But in this case, if there was a complaint from Ubi in regards, and everyone was set on completing it, it would likely lead to a name change. MMT uses no music, sounds, or visuals that are intellectual property of Ubisoft. The only thing that infringes upon their IP is the names of the actually series (Might and Magic). Im not sure how much continents and people play into IP (Could I make a sci-fi game that takes place on a planet named Korhal, and features an assassin named Kerrigan?) but they also could be changed. Most of the games infrastructure and material could be preserved in that worse-case scenario.

~Asomath

Level 14
*Bump*
-Organized the Main Post
-Added two Soundtrack Samples to the Main Post. Track #1 is called Serenity, and is used for the opening zone of the game (Serenity), Track #9 is Mysterious, and is a piece used in some dungeons.

~Asomath

Level 14
Where's the progress leading to any time soon ?

Hmmm... let's see. We're still aiming for a summer 2012 playable beta of Serenity. We got another 3D modeler and an addition 2D artist earlier this week... so thats a plus. Im currently working on arranging the game worlds building proportions and doing a bit of terraining as well. Hopefully I can get the prototyping done by mid January... there is quite a bit of hammering it out to get a prototyped version that has agreeable proportions.

While this is going on, some of the background programming is being sorted out, but we really need an additional programmer who is willing to work with Unreal Script. Schveider unfortunatly will be quite busy with RL work until mid-february, and only will have time to give technical guidance until then.

Someone who knows Adobe Flash might also be of desire... the games main menu is looking to be designed.

Modeling isnt actually going to be as hard as I firs thought, at least not for the Serenity demo. Mostly inanimate objects; buildings and structures, are needed atm. Once thats done its a matter of placing them where the prototyped buildings are, and then code them into the game.

Flora is even more simpler than the buildings with UDK's Speed Tree Modeler. It takes 5 minutes to make a very nice looking tree.

Tree1.jpg

This tree only took me about 4 minutes, and my modeling knowledge is mediocre at best. These trees also are effected by attributes like wind within UDK, so that is an additional plus! It won't take too long to generate a good portion of the models needed for the demo. We would like someone who at least knows what a tree looks like (silly criteria, I know) to generate some of the variations for the game.

Thats my progress report for now.

@Rui Did you listen to them? What did you think?

~Asomath

Level 14
^Haha correct. There are very few things that are kept hidden, and thats usually because they are small works that are still in very early phases. The project is open-source after all! I do my best to keep "The Public" updated on what is going on.

~Asomath

If you don't want spoilers, then don't check this thread lol. However I think that music should be lastly done, since it's one of least important.

First thing I'd like to see is (thus first to focus on), character controls and interface, placed in some test room. The model of character and especially items don't need by fully detailed and it could be done in minecraft style for showing purposes, although character animation done fully hopefully. Something to show the basic gameplay. But how will gameplay look like? Since M&M is some parallel to Elderscrolls series, I would expected something like Oblivion, but simplified, having the ability to switch between first and third person.

But there isn't a forum link? And which HoMM series would this take place (because I played mostly heroes)?

I often just turn off music when playing a game to listen to my music, especially if the game is long. I'm not talking it isn't important, but certainly isn't first thing to do. You should know this is brand new game, made from scratch, there is a lot to be done just to show how the game will look like. You may not get into game's atmosphere if the music isn't good or doesn't fit, but I can't get into game's atmosphere, if the game is buggy, tedious controls and poor graphics. If the music isn't good, you can still turn it off, you can't just turn off bad gameplay, because you shut down the entire game then.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Ever played The Legend of Kyrandia ? You don't need almost to reality graphics if you have some imagination. You better watch the Transformers movie series if you just enjoy graphics. If you're going to tell me you want everything to be perfect: graphics music, story etc. then you should remember that people are imperfect. And playing a game while listening to 50 Cent or Howard Shore won't make a difference since I should imagine what the music emphasizes and not connect it to the actual game.

Yeah, you can still turn off original game music and turn on the music you deem more fitting.

I'm not talking everything needs to be perfect, just some things are more important than others. You can turn off music and play normally, if you turn off graphics, you get only black screen. And The Legend of Kyrandia has good graphics for its age. For example, Kings Bounty has very good music, but I wouldn't play it, if it had crappy graphics, bugs, glitches, bad controls and bad gameplay.

Also some music tracks it's much easier to make than display. And as display I mean not only flashy graphic effects and such, but also basic stuff, like drawing polygons on screen, designing intuitive interface, colision detection and lot more.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Even if the music isn't good — and WarCraft III's was decent, but not great —, in my mind I attach the soundtrack to that game and to those moments, so I really dislike turning off the music.

To stop the off-topic, though; I'll be honest with you: those tracks sound good, especially if they're being designed by people who've just started and are working for free, but I can't tell you that they're memorable.

On a side thought, you may be getting ahead of yourself; on WarCraft III map development, there's a golden rule for a successful map: game mechanics and systems come first, then comes aesthetics, and while I understand that, being this an original game, you can't really have one without the other, things as trivial (relatively, mind you, because — and I believe we can all agree on this — the aforementioned make up «THE» game) as music should be left for later. If there are people working for Might and Magic: Tribute specifically on music, then, sure, they're welcome to tinker around, but, otherwise, this should serve as a reminder.

Level 11
idk if this is offtopic or ontopic but if anyone has a proven solution onto how to play the Original Might and Magic (6-8) on a Windows 7 64 bit OS i would be very grateful

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
idk if this is offtopic or ontopic but if anyone has a proven solution onto how to play the Original Might and Magic (6-8) on a Windows 7 64 bit OS i would be very grateful
Does it work on XP 32bit? In that case virtualize a copy of XP 32bit and run it off that. W7 ultimate compes with a free copy of XP32 professional for virtualization use.

Level 14
MMT 2012 Report
Hello everyone! A lot has been happening with Might and Magic Tribute over the past few months, and we would like to update everyone on the progress of MMT as to where we stand at this point in time. Here are the major updates:

Welcome Home MMT

It’s been six months since we moved from Castle Gobs to our temporary forums. Although the discussion was able to continue, the problem of actually having a primary location for the project remained.
We finally decided to give Might and Magic Tribute a home. It’s still in a transitory phase, but at the moment has most of its functionality. Check it out here.
http://www.mmtribute.com/

Dialogue System

Akkarin, a coder for the MMT team, nailed out the basics of the MMT dialogue system in UDK.

MmtributeDialogue.png

He kept the structure in place, so most of the dialogues from the previous MMT versions can be transferred over, saving a lot of unnecessary work. In this dialogue system there can be different dialogue texts and dialogue options depending on conditions like race, gender, amount of gold, or number of skillpoints! So think twice before you send your Necromancer to knock on the door of that Cleric of the Sun.

Also, certain actions can be performed through dialogues, e.g. increase/decrease amount of gold, increase experience of each character, learn skill, set level of expertise of certain skill (expert, master, grandmaster)

Karigor… isn’t that an island?

Many people know about Might and Magic Tributes almost controversial decision to call the lands north of Jadame Karigor. Some fans didn’t care; others considered a nuance, while others named it as blatantly disregarding game lore.

EnrothParchment1.jpg

We have decided that evidence entirely supports that Karigor is an island nation. Our goal is to make Might and Magic Tribute as lore-friendly as possible. Although there are possible work-arounds to the lore, we believe the best way is to respect that Karigor is an island far off the coast of Enroth, and to rename the lands of MMT.
For now, the chief theatre will simply be referenced as Continent Five, or more simply Cont-5, as it is the fifth major land on Enroth. A new name will be decided at a later date. Karigor will likely still be a playable region in MMT, but more on that will come in time.

Modeling

A long time project contributor, Sinbad will continue his work on MMT project. With UDK the standards are even a bit higher than before. For his project, he's been working on the exterior of the first dungeon the players will encounter, the massive pyramid-like structure called the Abandoned Temple.
ATConcept.jpg

ATWIP.jpg

As of today, Sinbad has completed the model… it is in the process of being implemented.

Another model thats been introduced is one of the first enemies that the player encounters: the tripod. Its basically a giant carnivorous three-legged tarantula so to speak... with spikes for good measure:

tripod10.png

Creating Serenity
Serenity is the starting zone for Might and Magic Tribute. Basic terra-forming has been completed. Prototyping has begun. For those who don’t know, prototyping is the process of laying out the maps basic objects (buildings, fountains, etc.) in both relative position and proportion.
Serenity.jpg

Serenity will be the first demo released for Might and Magic Tribute. We are still shooting to have a playable demo in the hands of Fans this summer, as it is stated on the calendar on the website.

SerenityWaterfall.jpg

Conclusion

And that is what has happened so far. As always, we will ask for the community’s aid and support throughout the game development, from contributing resources, to suggesting game ideas, or even helping to advertise the project!

Might and Magic Eternal,
~Asomath
E-Mail: [email protected]
Forums: http://mmtribute.forumotion.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Might-and-Magic-Tribute-The-Book-of-Ceth/331478756884911
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BookOfCeth

Level 6
Lol, now I can see that the team working on the project are skilled enough to make our dream reality!!! Keep going, and this summer MMT will be indeed the most rated project in the hive!!!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
prototyping is the process of laying out the maps basic objects (buildings, fountains, etc.) in both relative position and proportion.
Prototyping is when you create a pesudo implimentation to demonstrate and test usability of a system (eg to a client or to evaluate interface choices). Although one could call it prototyping (as you are basicly experimenting with layouts until satisfactory results are produced) I think it is too close to an alpha stage (as these could easilly be made final) to be called a prototype (which generally have very little in common with the alpha implimentation).

Level 14
Prototyping is when you create a pesudo implimentation to demonstrate and test usability of a system (eg to a client or to evaluate interface choices). Although one could call it prototyping (as you are basicly experimenting with layouts until satisfactory results are produced) I think it is too close to an alpha stage (as these could easilly be made final) to be called a prototype (which generally have very little in common with the alpha implimentation).

I still feel that prototyping is more truthful to what’s happening in terms of the first zones general layout, as this version of general game proportions and locations of objects will be presented, and then be looked at and critiqued, before being passed back for an additional round of editing. Once the layout is "satisfactory" then the placeholder objects will be replaced with the more permanent artistic resources. I would think Alpha would more infer that a majority of the games systems were in place and ready for testing.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Remember that using land effectivly is important for a good RPG. Making a vast open land that looks good is pointless when you only play there for a hour or so before moving on and never comming back (aka Final Fantasy XIII syndrome). Plan so that a player will have to keep comming back to an area many times with different quests or progressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.