• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Heroes not supported in Galaxy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I can't seem to find any way to make Heroes in the editor. Also there seems to be no trigger actions related to them.

Is this just features they decided to leave out until release?

Level 3
Go to your object editor, browse to the unit you wish to make a hero. On the right side of the screen, find the field named "stats - flag." In there will be a hero check mark, you can click that to make the ma hero.

Level 19
what are Veterancy files?

P.S. thats not what he wanted, i tested it.

He wants like lvl 3 heroes with gun items and shit, am i wrong?

Also, that item tutorial, (i atleast) use a diff editor and it has different values

Level 6
got the same problem here

i just want to make a simple hero that can gain xp by killing enemys.
if i choose a unit in the data editor i have 2 options:

first i can double click it and get a little window, where i can choose "hero", but it seems like this has no effect on the unit itself and just changes the classification of the unit in the editor

the second thing i can do is browse all the units stats on the right side. but i cant find anything about exp, attributes and so on right there. i already tried the tip (stats - flag --> hero) but ingame i could not notice any effect.

Level 3
I am looking for the EXP bar, Ability points, etc... I can't seem to find them. Also there seems to be no way to have stat growth or have stats affect health, damage, speed, etc.

This is starting to seem like a bust.

Level 2
Hero functionality is quite present from what ive seen, its really not fun todo tho ha.
You have to make a custom unit hero type then change its flag to hero and then add a behavior of veteran to the hero and there you go, u got a hero. You can then add attributes and abilities.

Level 9
Hero functionality is quite present from what ive seen, its really not fun todo tho ha.
You have to make a custom unit hero type then change its flag to hero and then add a behavior of veteran to the hero and there you go, u got a hero. You can then add attributes and abilities.
ahh thank you!

That was a PAIN to do.

I didn't figure out any of the attributes or exp bar yet, though.
But I got the little hero icon and stuff...so it works.

Level 9
Simple step of creating Veteran Behaviour:
1. Go to Behavior tab in the Data Editor
2. Right click > Add Object
3. Name your behavior (Eg: Hero Level)
4. Set the behavior type to Veterancy
5. Ignore the rest and press Okay.
6. Select your new veteran behavior (I name it hero level).
7. On the right side of the panel, select Veterancy Levels +
8. Open it and add levels and many more!
9. Add the behavior to your hero
10. Enjoy :D

Level 2
Please expand this part, as there is no "veteran" behaviour.

Make a new behavior with the type of veteran
Add the new behavior to your new hero by adding it through the behavior include (there's 2 one doesn't work x.x so try both if one doesn't work)
And wallah! you have a hero with an experience bar by editing the Veteran Behaviors minimum experience you can add levels.

Level 3
Thanks guys!

Now only if they added an auto-fill feature to it. Setting ALL of those stats ans such by hand takes forever!

Level 7
it has been done before the editor even came out dr super good, altough i do no have it since being european sucks right now.

Level 3
How does one do attributes? All I can do is create them and add them to the hero's behaviors. I can't figure out how to change them if a hero levels up or anything like that.

I would like to know this too. I tried changing things, and all I accomplished was making my heroes forget how to walk and attack as soon as they hit level 2.

I think someone should make a sticky with this info.

Level 6
Agree with the Dr.
Many poeple are doing 3'rd person shooters atm, it should be a good start getting to know the new editor.

Level 20
I really laughed at the above post, it's typical human nature for the majority to try something because it was proven it can be done rather than work something out that the new editor can do themselves and build on that...

Don't get me wrong I can't wait to see third-person shooters in sc2, but dear god if it becomes another custom-footy mass... (loads of maps, all near identical and/or of poor quality).

As for the skills, couldn't you just script/trigger them until you find out more? Pain in the ass I know, but at least it might be a solution...

Level 2
I have yet to run into any problems with heroes
I have learnable abilities
Attributes
Levelable Abilities
Experience bar
Leveling to 12
attributes being applied each level

The only thing I havent found is how to default setting attributes >.<

Level 9
I have yet to run into any problems with heroes
I have learnable abilities
Attributes
Levelable Abilities
Experience bar
Leveling to 12
attributes being applied each level

The only thing I havent found is how to default setting attributes >.<

It would be cool if you can share details about learnable abilities and levelable abilities. For default setting attributes, it looks like it is hardcoded at 0 for level 1 nomatter what =/

Level 2
1.) Create an ability with the type learn (Name it w.e you like)
2.) Add the new learning type ability to your hero
3.) Goto the command card on your hero and add a new button with a subcommand ability and in the Learn ability slot put your learning type ability that you just made.
4.) Make a new spell add this spell to your learning type ability through "Info - Ability" also give it a default button.
5.) Edit "Points" and "Points Per Level" in your learning type ability I set them both to 1.
6.) Now go back to your hero add the spell you just made in the first command card wherever you would like.
7.) Now switch to command card 2 or w.e command card you made your learning type ability link to. Then click a slot on the empty command card and add your learning type ability but when you select it select the ability you assigned to it through the ability command input. right below where you input that u put your learning type ability.
8.) To finish it off in the command card 2 or w.e command card you made your learning type ability link to add a button I put a cancel button and give it a submenu command type so you can return to your normal card

Please forgive any vagueness, I did just right this up in a few minutes.
If you have any questions dont be afraid to ask :DDD

Oh and almost forgot once you have that all down you are going to want levels for your spells
Adding a level is the simplest thing ever. What I did to figure it out was by adding a second cooldown to my spell which was applied when I learned the spell a second time (which became available as soon as I added a second cooldown) You can edit various stats for each level I think its a bummer that if u want the effect that comes with the spell to level too you have to make a copy it and make changes accordingly and just have 2 effects one for each level.

Level 9
+Rep! That was very helpful, really appreciate it. However i encounter a few problems..

For testing purposes, i didn't make any custom ability. I give the hero able to learn:
Ghost - Sniper Round
Sentry - Guardian Shield

Problem 1:
Ghost - Sniper Round will work perfectly. But not Sentry - Guardian Shield. Guardian Shield will not appear after learning.

Problem 2:
After learning Ghost - Sniper Round or Guardian Shield they still remain in the command card 2 even though they have no more levels left to level up. Any idea how to fix this?

Level 2
Np :)

Omg yeah problem 1 haha, I dont exactly know the cause but when I first started with it I encountered it badly >.< Then I made my own ability and it worked o_O idk what it is maybe id's getting mixed up.

Problem 2 I dont know, I know they do just stay there... Didnt really phase me till you mentioned it haha xP

Haha sorry I cant answer em well, I honestly just figured it out today after trying alot yesterday.
As I figure things it out, it will help
Maybe for problem 2 validators will help with removing them? Unsure tho I havent really touched those. Because in the learning ability you can make spells suppressed and restricted combined with using validators might do something ha xD

Level 3
thanks anti98! I had most of those steps down already, but I missed the linking to command card one.

Edit:

Can you explain this part better?
6.) Now go back to your hero add the spell you just made in the first command card wherever you would like.
7.) Now switch to command card 2 or w.e command card you made your learning type ability link to. Then click a slot on the empty command card and add your learning type ability but when you select it select the ability you assigned to it through the ability command input. right below where you input that u put your learning type ability.
8.) To finish it off in the command card 2 or w.e command card you made your learning type ability link to add a button I put a cancel button and give it a submenu command type so you can return to your normal card

I think I am doing the buttons in command card 2 wrong... I can see them, but I can't learn them. Also when I select my "learn" ability in the second card there is no options under the "ability" drop-down list.

Last edited:
Level 2
thanks anti98! I had most of those steps down already, but I missed the linking to command card one.

Edit:

Can you explain this part better?

I think I am doing the buttons in command card 2 wrong... I can see them, but I can't learn them. Also when I select my "learn" ability in the second card there is no options under the "ability" drop-down list.

Did give each spell that is learned in the learnable ability a default button?
Also did u edit the points and points per level in the learnable ability?

Level 2
Oh thats easy okay
Just add the spell that you added to the learnable ability
to the first command card and then if you did it right it wont show up till you actually learn it

Level 3
Oh thats easy okay
Just add the spell that you added to the learnable ability
to the first command card and then if you did it right it wont show up till you actually learn it

It shows up even if I don't have it... The spell I am using is Sniper Round...

Is there something I have to do to the spell itself?

Edit: Here is my hero: http://www.mediafire.com/?nzmm2o0wmzn

Maybe you can give it a look and see what is wrong.
I know I am close, it is probably something small that I forgot to do.

Level 2
The premade default spells from my experience have issues x.x
I started off using spells like that just to run into problems I suggest using a custom spell

Level 3

This is old, we know how to make a basic hero.

What I am asking for is how to make a learnable skill.

So far I have the learnable skills, but as I put points into them they do not show up on the main command card.

If I add the skill to the command card, it is there before I put points into the skill.

I hope someone uploads a tutorial with images... It would make this whole thing a lot easier.

EDIT: I FIGURED IT OUT!
It is exactly as Anti98 said. I guess I ran into a glitch, but it worked for me when I did it with build command center!

Last edited:
Level 6
got a strange problem.

when i add an attribute to my hero and increase it, the hero cant move anymore, he "looses" some of his standart abilities. anyone knows why this is? while the attribute is at 0 its no problem, but at 1 hes f*cked :D

Status
Not open for further replies.