• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Ranger (Warsmash)

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
This is my attempt to restore the Ranger hero from the Reign of Chaos Alpha (unreleased content). Most of my modifications are in the portrait. I reviewed this model while working, although my model is trying to be like the old photos of the Reign of Chaos Alpha:

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/hero-ranger-pre-beta-look-a-like.130940/

The model here does not have hero glow on the base of the model -- only on the weapon. This is an attempt to match the style of heroes in the Reign of Chaos Alpha. For the Warsmash Alpha, it seemed like it might be cool to style heroes differently in this way, to match what was seen in unreleased images of earlier versions of the Warcraft III that were never published.
Previews
Contents

Hero Ranger (Warsmash) (Model)

Hero Ranger Portrait (Warsmash) (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
We have a better functioning version of this, but I can see use for the people. It still has a lot of issues and can use optimization.
Could you post a link to the better functioning version? Or do you just mean the Kuhneghetz one linked in the model description?
I think the functionality of that one and this one were roughly the same -- just to make sure I'm understanding properly, do you see a specific case where this model could be improved to function better in some way that the old Kuhneghetz version does? (Other than the hero glow style difference, which was intentional for this asset.)

Could you post a link to the better functioning version? Or do you just mean the Kuhneghetz one linked in the model description?
I think the functionality of that one and this one were roughly the same -- just to make sure I'm understanding properly, do you see a specific case where this model could be improved to function better in some way that the old Kuhneghetz version does? (Other than the hero glow style difference, which was intentional for this asset.)
That is correct.
If you make a model then you have to make sure it functions properly. Leaving things visible in the decay animations where they should not be visible is just lazy and please don't tell me you cannot see them. I can see them and the rules say models need to function properly they do not.
There is nothing more I hate then laziness and then people talking more about it then fixing the issue.

Well, I didn't notice because I didn't look. Ingame I was using this character as a hero. I think the model was literally based on shandris, with extra customization added, and part of the "split geoset and add team color" functions in Retera Model Studio that I was relying upon to not break probably broke and caused that visibility bug. So in this case it seems like it's actually a programming issue more than a model issue, since we should be able to rely on the tools to work without causing a bug like that. Definitely seems like a programming bug worth fixing