• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
I'm working on a map where the usual ladder units are used as heroes. As such, I need names for them. There's far too many of them to think up all of them myself.

Currently I need names for those heroes(at least 12 for each):
Priest
Spell Breaker
Shaman
Crypt Fiend
Necromancer
Ogre Magi
Satyr Hellcaller

All contributors will be credited with a note in the quest log about how many names they made. I might do something special for those that consistently keep helping.
I'll update the list when I need new ones. The heroes in the list are those that I have mostly decided on how to make.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

priest - orlan
spell breaker - garland
shaman - arkain
cryptfiend - qui'raj
necromancer - kuzan
ogre magi - gar'nogal
satyr hellcaller - siberius

i don't know, my ideas sounds pretty crappy.

Level 23
Here is what Ive come up with so far
> Didn't do Satyr since (Xavius?) aside I don't think there is a naming convention for Satyrs.
> Mileage may vary depending on your cheese tolerance.

Priest
Alexis Ourus
Tinan Just
Alain Rorik
Duan Forsen
Jon Misend
Johan Tecto
Doran Tekker
Basil Molus
Eyvind Thule
Theo of Stratholme
Hector of Arathi
Tristan of Alterac

Spell Breaker
Mencius Mindscorch
Taladir Glaivewake
Kelathos Nullcrown
Airdolus Arcflare
Delnin the Tamer
Lalilos Lakestream
Taramis Stormsnare
Deramar Blightgull
Telen Fanfeather
Delin Farstride
Gillios Sunscorn
The Masked One

Shaman
Skold Cindersea
Srul'fas
Modur Earthsky
Drukham Fireside
Duros Stonehowl
Wysar Fearstorm
Dakhas Ashtread
Rasd'agdar
Gurand Seafoam
Dar'sharir
Garad of Draenor
Garm the Exile

Crypt Fiend
Amanar'th
Ptoraph
Nine-Eyed Senu
Forgotten Hambiri
Tyosthe
Curseweaver Nephru
Enbalmer Tneraph
Bonestitcher Ezzr
Nycta the Well-Spined
Nast'pha
Qharmit
Ossicator Taan

Necromancer
Thelus Mordius
Darion Mouldgrain
Raz Blainchaff
Ciaran Pitchtongue
Talbin the Heckler
Ranling Pusbloom
Rimond Doomcap
Lenk Feverfiend
Radin the Scalper
Alixos Bloodboil
Theon Mandrake
Zorin Nightbane

Ogre Magi
Bog'rar
Golgond the Half-blind
Mae'loag the Blue
Yor'mok
Ghol'chal
Murzoc Flamefists
Wogosh Batterbones
Rogal Marrowstaff
Urmogh Broadhead
Borog Three-eyed
Hul'log the Strange
Grond'mac the Orcswatter

Last edited:
Level 21
priest - orlan
spell breaker - garland
shaman - arkain
cryptfiend - qui'raj
necromancer - kuzan
ogre magi - gar'nogal
satyr hellcaller - siberius

i don't know, my ideas sounds pretty crappy.

More confidence please. Those ideas look like I could use them somewhere, but not on those specific heroes. (the ogre magi is spot on though)
Mostly I'd like the names to consist of 2 parts. For instance, "Garland" could use an additional name. I'll add one and use this one too though, since there's no real limit on how many names I can use.
Here is what Ive come up with so far
> Didn't do Satyr since (Xavius?) aside I don't think there is a naming convention for Satyrs.
> Mileage may vary depending on your cheese tolerance.

They don't seem too cheesy to me. Cruel humor is occasionally fitting.
"Golgond the Half-blind" - Laughed way too hard at this, thinking about how most ogres have one eye.
Most of those seem fitting. I'd use some of them elsewhere though or alter some:
Alain Rorik - Sounds like a dwarven spellcaster of some kind.
"Forgotten Hambiri" -> "Hambiri the Forgotten"
Overall I prefer to use the latter form. I'll still keep both forms around for flavor though.(on separate names)

May I ask what method you use to generate those names?
About satyrs, I think there might be some hints in how WoW satyrs are named.

Level 23
May I ask what method you use to generate those names?

I just make up stuff based on what naming conventions I know the WC universe uses for said characters.

-Human names tend to be actual English names (including ones derived from other languages) spelled in unusual ways, or are names that very similar to real ones, pronunciation wise.
-Elvish names tend to have plenty of S/I/L/E's (eg. Alleria, Kael'thas)
-Nerubian names tend to sound vaguely "Egyptian", they also tend to not have last names. Hence I used titles for second names.
- For Necromancers I used a similar convention to the priest but added a more overly-flashy/pompous surname scheme.
-Orcish names afaik are pretty random in terms of inspiration but they do tend to have plenty of D/R/A's. (Drek'Thar, Nazgrel etc.)
-Ogres tend to have lots of O/L/Rs and or two part names each with 1 syllable. eg. Mogor, Cho'Gall

About satyrs, I think there might be some hints in how WoW satyrs are named.
I suppose one could always just use N-elf names since Satyrs are corrupted nelfs.

Level 21
I tried whether everything works right, so I implemented the Crypt Fiend names(I use a script for generating objects and sometimes it works different than I intended). I discovered that different unit types have separate hero name pools, even if names are identical.
Due to the way my map works I have a str, agi and int version of each hero, so I could let people choose their main attribute, attribute base amounts and gains.

tl;dr - It would be awesome if the str, agi and int versions of heroes had name pools with no overlap, so separate names(36 min total per hero) would make sure no overlap exists.
I can do without, but it will be more awesome with.

Roland

R

Roland

Priest - Jorge Mario Bergoglio
Shaman - Agar'thur
Ogre Magi - Bog'dar

Level 21
Priest - Bento XV
Ogre Magi - Shrek
Those are not really serious names. :D
Priest - Jorge Mario Bergoglio
Shaman - Agar'thur
Ogre Magi - Bog'dar

I googled the first and apparently he's a pope with quite a lot of controversy. Interesting to read.
About Agar'thur I feel it'll work better for someone else. Actually, I'll just add something and it'll be fitting.
Bog'dar is perfect.

Level 8
Status
Not open for further replies.