• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Engineer (Alrik)
-Sentry gun seems a little weak. I'm not sure if its the attack speed or attack damage. It could use a little more life since it has a lower range than sniper.
-Repair could use a little buff, can't heal the summons and towers fast enough. The towers have little life so they don't last as long as the golem does.

Level 6
Now that I think about it, it was the damage. Sniper was doing 200 damage near the end and that was chaos damage. I think the sentry was doing around 25 damage piercing. With the amount of life the monsters had later on it was doing little damage to them.

Level 4
Now that I think about it, it was the damage. Sniper was doing 200 damage near the end and that was chaos damage. I think the sentry was doing around 25 damage piercing. With the amount of life the monsters had later on it was doing little damage to them.

No way , I almost only play as Alrik I know at level 30 the turrets only do 11 damage , which is why I don't use them , thats only one damage gained every 5 levels which is pathetic .

My brother asks why does the bear now do more damage than the wolf and could you soon make the falcon better.

He also asks if you could make Royan's magic shield have a longer cool down as the recently played a solo game as Thordal and he says that by thee time he managed to kill his shield he could summon a new one.

Please work out the crystal drop rates as at the moment I seems that you get more crystals the easier the difficulty is which is a bit counter intuitive.

Level 13
No way , I almost only play as Alrik I know at level 30 the turrets only do 11 damage , which is why I don't use them , thats only one damage gained every 5 levels which is pathetic .

My brother asks why does the bear now do more damage than the wolf and could you soon make the falcon better.

In both points, you slightly ignore attack speed. For example, on lv1 the bear deals 31.5 damage on average, has 3.00 attack speed, resulting in 10.5 DPS.
The wolf, while having lower average damage of 21.5, has an attack speed of 1, resulting in 21.5 DPS. So he actually does about 2 times the damage of the bear. Maybe I should add these information to the descriptions to provide a little more transparency and understanding.

As for the guns, the gattling guns have an extremely fast attack speed (0.5) so the impact of each additional damage point is very high. In addition, the gattlings do splash damage, so they often hit multiple targets at once. Still, I'm gonna slightly increase gattling damage in 0.89. Let's see how the engineer works in 0.89 then. If guns still feel too weak, let me know of course.

Yepp, I will inc the shield CD and I will also make crystal chances depend on difficulty.

Edit: Let your brother know that I will improve the falcon in 0.89 too! ;)

Last edited:
Level 6
@savinguptobebroke Yeah sorry my values were way off, not sure where I got that number.
@moco I didn't know the sentry guns did splash damage, good to know.

-Something should be modified on the berserker. He is too strong. Has 100% crit chance spell, 30% attack speed and movement speed spell, high single target damage spell with a bleed affect and slow, 30% dodge chance, 50% splash, a self heal, and a leap spell to top it all off. Has the second highest base life and armor. I know he is more vulnerable as melee and lacks good cc but with how fast he kills units its not a problem. Just to make him even stronger a life steal weapon dropped and increased his survivability even more. I think the crit chance should be lowered and/or maybe the attack/movement speed just by a tad. The single target spell, leap, and splash are a good fit. The heal spell and dodge doesn't seem like berserker abilities. Need more feedback than my own, I haven't played the berseker but watching people play and asking them about it tells me he is strong. Highest dps and usually gets twice the kills of anyone else.
-Thordal is a strength hero but has only one strength spell. Seems more like a paladin and that's fine. Only benefit of strength is for that one spell and more life. Not sure if you removed the life regen per point of strength. The only spell I'm not too fond of is bash. Doesn't work on bosses and doesn't seem to be as useful as his other spells. Since he's the leader of the group what about a passive aura to benefit the group instead of bash? Even a castable one would work based on strength.

Level 4
- The only spell I'm not too fond of is bash. Doesn't work on bosses and doesn't seem to be as useful as his other spells.

Thordal's bash is very important to the team especially in boss battles and it does work against bosses it's just very short , the main use of it is to prevent bosses from casting channeling spells like the frozen kings ice hail which can often kill most heroes on higher difficulties . He is one on the only two heroes with a stun Alarik is the other . Stun is also important for saving other heroes as when a high damaging unit is near a weak or low health hero you can stun it giving the other hero a crucial few seconds to escape the creature or kill it .

Level 13
Yeah, I also thought that the slayer might be a little overpowered right now. I'll probably nerf him a bit for the next update.

As it regards Thordal, the smash ability also includes a stun effect. So, this actually should be enough to interrupt the bosses. So the passive bash could probably be replaced by a more interesting ability..

Level 13
I'm thinking about refining/slightly changing the roles of the damage dealers.

Hunter:
- Further increasing his focus on single target damage and reducing his AoE power.

Slayer:
- Right now he is excellent for single target AND area damage. Idea is to drastically decrease his single target power so he is good at slaying the masses, but not any longer as good against single big enemies.

Engineer:
- More of a general supporter who can do a bit of everything, but nothings perfect.

What do you think? I know some people will not like to see Gotrek gettin' nerved, but I think it might help to improve the diversity of hero profiles.

Level 6
-Glad hunter will deal stronger single target damage. He felt a little weak compared to the rest of the heroes.
-The berserker change sounds good. Now that I think about it his dodge spell and heal are to survive being melee dps. Only ability that is absurd is 100% crit chance for 15 seconds. Needs to have a less chance, shorter duration, or be replaced.
-Engineer being well rounded sounds also good!

Level 13
Just wanted to let you know that I'm still working on the hero design.

I want to improve the design of the Champion a bit towards a more defensive, stationary playstyle. Therefore, in the next update, he will have a new spell called Seal of the Forefathers. It's a magic circle (similiar to the holy circle of the priest) that drastically improves armor while standing in the circle. The spell is near-permanent, but has also a huge cooldown so the circle cannot be quickly replaced. A good option for static defense, but not very flexible. Other heroes may also get into the circle, but it usually means they get close near the front which may not be a good idea.

Level 13
I would like to see more discussion on hero tactics here.

I'll make a start and introduce one of the changes of 0.94: The slayer's Fury ability now also increases dodge chances by 50% for 5 sec, next to +50% attack speed and move speed.
This bonus actually adds up to the passive, permanent 30% dodge of the Slayer, resulting in 80% dodge for the buff duration (making the Slayer nearly invulnerable during this time period).

I think this little change contributes to the general playstyle of the Slayer, especially as it concerns hit&run tactics. With this change, the Slayer is better suited against those really big enemies; 1. Activate Fury, 2. approach the big enemy 3. slay for 3-4 secs with increased attack speed 4. complete with a savage strike and get back as soon as the Fury runs out (since the Slayer cannot take heavy damage for too long). Of course, proper timing of spellcasting and movement are still the keys to success.

Status
Not open for further replies.