• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Defense: TFOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Map in progress: Tfod

Thorn Forest Outpost Defense
attachment.php

Story
Thorn forest is known to be a very dangerous place. Humid climate has made it home to strange plants and animals. Deep inside the forest, An outpost was built to provide a resting place to adventurers and as a marketplace to merchants. Beings of different races follow the rules of the Outpost, Which is to interact with others peacefully. One day, The creatures of the forest attacked. And you are caught in the middle.

How to play
Play as one of 48 heroes.

Create powerful items.

Discover secrets and finish quests.

Cooperate with other players to defend the Outpost.

Defeat the incoming onslaught.

Gameplay
Custom heroes, units and abilities

Custom Items

Multiple quests and rewards

Damage detection system

Screenshots
Difficulty Sytem
attachment.php

Hero Selection
attachment.php

Control Menu
attachment.php

Defending
attachment.php

Soon to come
More screenshots

More heroes

In between wave events/mini-games/etc

Secret places

Better description

Changelog
Reworked the Death Knight's 4th ability.

New Preview image and Loading screen.

Rebuilt the Damage Detection System.

Reworked terrain.

Changed the Death Knight's 1st and 2nd abilities.

Changed some items.

Fixed incomplete tooltips.

Balanced creep bosses.

Modified terrain.

A new hero.

The game now detects the host.

Number of spawns depends on number of Active Players.

Reworked terrain.

Fixed minor bugs.

Fixed bugs.

Spawns no longer depend on number of players. (causes a bug).

Fixed major bugs.

2 New Heroes:
- Witch Doctor
- Shadow Walker

Creep spawns now depend on the number of players (Again).

Updated skills and balanced creeps.

Add all items.

Reworked multiboard.

Fixed minor bugs.

Fixed Hero Selection.

Updated terrain and creeps.

Last edited:
Level 6
Well, I tested this in single mode.

Things I liked
  • Many heroes
  • Abilties
  • Balancing

Things I didn't like
  • Terrain, add more variation hight, and it would be fun if there was more places to be than the outpost and four paths.
  • Loading screen, use a darker color so it's easier to see the text
  • Items, I never liked the combination system. Add more expensive items.
  • Damage detection system. Just alot of spammed numbers. Do it easier to see

Well ... That will be 2/5, bad. But, it can be becouse it aint finished yet. Keep on like this, and it may be a good map! 3/5 and more, and I'll vote for approval.

Level 11
It's actually pretty boring, not very strategic.
I don't really know how to improve it though.

The terrain and items worked superb though. The only thing bothering me is that you copied a lot of it from dota ;)

Im on my way in doing the secrets and Im adding more quests.

Well, I tested this in single mode.

Things I liked
  • Many heroes
  • Abilties
  • Balancing

Things I didn't like
  • Terrain, add more variation hight, and it would be fun if there was more places to be than the outpost and four paths.
  • Loading screen, use a darker color so it's easier to see the text
  • Items, I never liked the combination system. Add more expensive items.
  • Damage detection system. Just alot of spammed numbers. Do it easier to see

Well ... That will be 2/5, bad. But, it can be becouse it aint finished yet. Keep on like this, and it may be a good map! 3/5 and more, and I'll vote for approval.

Thanks for that. I really need someone to point out what the map lacks.
Actually it lacks alot for now :D

Last edited:
Level 6
CWeener's Review

Reviewing the map "Thorn Forest Outpost Defense"

Rating System (in weener points:)

1-10 Originality
1-10 Replayability (discounted for cinematics*)
1-10 Triggering (discounted for protected maps*)
1-10 Terraining
1-10 Object Managing (custom items and destructibles etc...)
1-10 Spells (if applies**)
1-10 Description
1-15 Engaging a.k.a. fun to play
1-15 Misc (size, system implementation, laginess etc...)
-100 or +100 for abiding by THW rules.
* = when one is discounted then other sections maximums are raised, and those sections are judged harder (if your map applies then it will show you what i raised later)
** = some maps dont really need spells so this section is discounted and given an automatic 10.
Rating System Scores

Less than 100 = FF- (Reported, You clearly didnt abide by all of the posting rules, and i have reported you for (not) doing so.)
100-150 Points = F- (Rancid and Needs major work. Vote for Rejection and no +rep.)
151-160 Points = F (Bad and Needs work. vote for Rejection and no +rep.)
161-170 Points = D (Below Average and Needs much updating. has potential. vote for rejection and no +rep.)
171-180 Points = C (Okay but Needs updates. has potential. vote for rejection* and no +rep.)
181-190 Points = B (Good but still not reaching full potential vote for approval but no +rep)
191-199 Points = A (Great and probably has reached full potential**. good job. vote for approval and +rep.)
200 Points = A+ (Amazing, you did everything right and went all out, approval and +rep)

* = depending on the map really, and what categories it scored low in
** = not always but most cases.
Thorn Forest Outpost Defense Scores

Triggering score not available, so other maximums were raised(see rating system*)

1-11 Originality *7* while this map has unique aspects, it's main concept is ununique.
1-11 Replayability *9* great with friends, but once you find all the optional quest secrets, those wont be anyfun to hunt for again. :p
1-11 Terraining *11* very nice, only complaint i had was that it was flat. but i really didn't mind.
1-11 Object Managing *11* best I've seen in awhile.
1-11 Spells *10* great, and mostly unique.
1-11 Description *11* not the absolute best, but it doesn't have to be for a map development map.
1-17 Engaging *15* veeryy nice:)
1-17 Misc *17* YOU sir should be proud :grin:
-100 or 100 Rules *100* :grin:
0-200 All-in-all *191* "A" (Great and probably has reached full potential**. good job. vote for approval and +rep.)

Author's Note,

Great job and nice execution. already, you could put it in the maps section and it's be better than half of what gets put there these days.
Bugs:
1)sneakers recipe didn't dissappear when i made sneakers.
2)i used burning archers "burning will" after using boots of flight "blink" ability and boots of flight cooldown reset.

Recommendations:
1)make easier to get from one shop to the next. more specifically recipe shop and item shop. >.<

-
If any map ive reviewed has been updated, feel free the ask me to re-review it. or if i haven't reviewed YOUR map, feel free to ask me. :)

Level 15
I was using the Death Knight and, somehow, his skills auto-refresh whenever I use another one of his abilities. Is that intended?
Also, he isn't very interesting to use, since he caps out the damage skill quickly. I would rather have it grant more damage, but for a short duration (eg. +6 damage per kill, lasts 10 seconds)
Also, his two active abilities aren't very interesing. Its just AoE damage over time, and not very interesting ones at that. I would simply suggest a remake of the first ability, since he can already raise an army.
Plus, 40 spirits makes the screen seem pretty cramped.

So what I would suggest:
A point target skill. Something that does something other than damage, perhaps lifesteal.
I would try something like:
Creates an area of death, consuming all corpses (and skeletons) in the area to heal the Death Knight. If the area is free of death, all enemies in the AoE will take damage.

This gives you a choice to either heal yourself, or deal loads of damage. It works perfectly as an initiation ability, and grants you health when you need it. Just a suggestion, though.

The Blademaster reminds me of a hero in DotA. Furthermore, only his Bladestorm helps to kill off creeps easily. His Ultimate is more of a 1v1 skill, like its meant to be used in DotA.
The hero could use quite a remake, mainly his Ultimate. His Mirror Image is rather weak, since they are unable to slay many enemies before getting killed.

Level 11
Zack1996 said:
I was using the Death Knight and, somehow, his skills auto-refresh whenever I use another one of his abilities. Is that intended?

Yes it is. It is made like that so testers could see if the abilities work properly.

It is just a sample map.

Zack1996 said:
Also, he isn't very interesting to use, since he caps out the damage skill quickly. I would rather have it grant more damage, but for a short duration (eg. +6 damage per kill, lasts 10 seconds)
Also, his two active abilities aren't very interesing. Its just AoE damage over time, and not very interesting ones at that. I would simply suggest a remake of the first ability, since he can already raise an army.
Plus, 40 spirits makes the screen seem pretty cramped.

I was thinking about changing his 1st ability back then, I would certainly change that and I'll make his 4th skill not only a DPS skill but a supportive skill too.

Zack1996 said:
The Blademaster reminds me of a hero in DotA. Furthermore, only his Bladestorm helps to kill off creeps easily. His Ultimate is more of a 1v1 skill, like its meant to be used in DotA.
The hero could use quite a remake, mainly his Ultimate. His Mirror Image is rather weak, since they are unable to slay many enemies before getting killed.

I don't need to change his last skill. You can either decide to use it on normal creeps or use it on bosses. His mirror images are weak, I agree with that. Because the map still lacks items, Thus making the Blademaster miss out the damage/stat/etc bonuses, Therefore making the copies weaker.

Thanks for the good feedback. Im doing what I can to satisfy some nice suggestions.

Level 15
Really nice changes. The Death Knight has some pretty good synergy ATM.

Something I would like to ask, though, is his Ultimate supposed to affect the Graveyard? I kinda destroyed it when I used my Ultimate on it and the Necromancer. It simply destroys bosses due to its epic damage :p

I'll try a few of the other heroes, gimme a moment.

BTW, you mixed up the Quest Message when you complete the Hermit and Fountain quests. The game tells me I completed the Hermit Quest when I did the Fountain Quest and vice versa.

EDIT: Wait, scratch that. It told me I completed Golden Frogs when I finished the Fountain Quest and Fountain when I finished the Hermit Quest.

EDIT2: Gave the Storm Mage guy a try. I didn't quite like how Typhoon Aura worked.
The problem with it is, it makes the enemy invulnerable while in the air, which makes it difficult for the hero to gather up loads of damage from his self buff. It also causes Monsoon to miss sometimes. Otherwise, he seems to be a pretty well made hero.

Was pretty cool though, I managed to kill the Wolf at level 15 with the following items:
Flight Boots
3 x Soul Pendant
Warrior's Helm
Enchanted Shield

His Ultimate was pretty sick for holding the enemy back :D

Level 11
Zack1996 said:
Really nice changes. The Death Knight has some pretty good synergy ATM.

Something I would like to ask, though, is his Ultimate supposed to affect the Graveyard? I kinda destroyed it when I used my Ultimate on it and the Necromancer. It simply destroys bosses due to its epic damage :p

I'll try a few of the other heroes, gimme a moment.

It not will not affect buildings anymore in v1.13b.

Zack1996 said:
BTW, you mixed up the Quest Message when you complete the Hermit and Fountain quests. The game tells me I completed the Hermit Quest when I did the Fountain Quest and vice versa.

EDIT: Wait, scratch that. It told me I completed Golden Frogs when I finished the Fountain Quest and Fountain when I finished the Hermit Quest.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Fixed in v.1.13b.

Zack1996 said:
EDIT2: Gave the Storm Mage guy a try. I didn't quite like how Typhoon Aura worked.
The problem with it is, it makes the enemy invulnerable while in the air, which makes it difficult for the hero to gather up loads of damage from his self buff. It also causes Monsoon to miss sometimes. Otherwise, he seems to be a pretty well made hero.

Will make changes on "Typhoon Aura".

Zack1996 said:
Was pretty cool though, I managed to kill the Wolf at level 15 with the following items:
Flight Boots
3 x Soul Pendant
Warrior's Helm
Enchanted Shield

His Ultimate was pretty sick for holding the enemy back :D

I agree with that xD.

I will be updating it again soon. Stay tuned :D

Level 16
Chaotic Map you got there dewd. Terrain's flat and Items were kinda un-creative. Needs more Tile Variation on Outpost. But overall, pretty neat. However, maybe you should limit the number of Active Lanes according to the Number of Players. Vengeancekael can help you with this.

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

My comp broke down and my laptop is being evil, -sigh- I probably won't see ya in a while Breed!

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

Ofc it does...I'm so loved xD <EGO BOOST ALERT

Anyways I IZ BACK AND TRYING TO SAVE MAINFRAME FROM BLUE SCREEN O' DEATH

Status
Not open for further replies.