• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Abilities: Cleric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Hi all.

I am making a dungeon map and have 8 hero classes.
2 of those classes are really boring as far as I tested them but they are pretty much necessary to win on harder difficulties.

Those 2 classes are the Guardian (tank hero) and the Cleric (healer/support hero).

I would like to... this feels so odd for me... hear a few suggestions on hero abilities for the Cleric.
In my maps, almost anything that you can think of is possible (as you can see in some abilities) so don't worry about WC3 mechanics.

This is as much as I have right now:

Stats

Abilities

Mentioned Stuff

Primary Stats:
1. Spell Power
2. Cooldown Reduction
3. Maximum Mana + Mana Regeneration

Dynamic Stats:

Maximum Health:
450(+45)

Health Regeneration:
3/s(+0.3/s)

Maximum Mana:
800(+80)

Mana Regeneration:
8/s(+0.8/s)

Physical Armor:
25(+2)

Magic Resistance:
25(+2)

Movement Speed:

Pysical Damage:
76(+4)

Spell Power:
127(+8)

Attack Speed:
0.7/s

Static Stats:

Luck:

Armor Penetration:
0%

Magic Penetration:
0%

Critical Strike Chance:
5%

Critical Strike Damage:
170%

Cooldown Reduction:
0%

Light

Divine

Holy

Light Ray

Bless

Spiritual Energy

Sunfire Strike

Healing Mastery

Heal

Clarity

Bishop's Blessing

Healing Master

Flashstep

Resurrection

Required Level: 0
Required Points in this tree: 0
(Active)
Fires a beam of light at the target location healing allied units for (...) + (...% Spell Power) and deals (...) + (...% Spell Power) Light damage to enemy units.

Required Level: 5
Required Points in this tree: 10
(Active)
Heals a unit for (...) + (...% Spell Power) per second for 5 seconds.

(Passive)
Heals the Cleric for (...)% of mana cost of his abilities.

(Active)
Creates an explosion of light which deals (...) + (...% Spell Power) Light damage to nearby enemy units that are facing the Cleric and blinding them for 4 seconds.

Required Level: 10
Required Points in this tree: 30
(Passive)
When the Cleric heals an allied unit, he also heals himself for (...) + (...% Spell Power)% of that amount.

(Active)
Heals the targeted allied unit for (...) + (...% Spell Power) + (...% Maximum Health).
(This ability also cost health.)

(Passive)
When the cleric heals an allied unit, the cooldowns of all Light spells are reduced by (...) seconds. (Bless will reduce the cooldown on cast instead.)

Required Level: 20
Required Points in this tree: 50
(Active)
Increases health regain of any type from the Cleric by (...) + (...% Spell Power)% for 15 seconds.

(Passive)
Everytime the Cleric heals a unit, he gains (...)% bonus Spell Power for 10 seconds. Healing Master stacks up to 7 times.

(Active)
The Cleric runs swiftly towards the target location, dealing (...) + (...% Spell Power) Light damage to enemies he passes through.

Required Level: 30
Required Points in this tree: 70
(Active)
Blesses the targeted unit for 10 seconds. If that unit takes fatal damage while it is blessed, that unit is revived for (...)% of the Cleric's Maximum Health and it breaks the blessing.

Help From Above

Divine Strike

Linked Spirit

Sacrifice

Seraph Mastery

Skyfall

Purge

The Rising

Spell Shield

Purification

Divine Protection

Unexpected tab 12

(Active)
Summons the Seraphim to fight for the Cleric.

(Active)
The Seraphim slams the ground, dealing (...) + (...% Spell Power) Divine damage to nearby enemy units and rooting them for 2 seconds.

(Passive)
The basic attacks of the seraphim heal the cleric for (...) + (...% Spell Power)% of the damage dealt.

(Active)
The Seraphim taunts all nearby enemy units for 4 seconds. The Seraphim gains (...) + (...% Spell Power) Physical Armor per taunted unit for 6 seconds.

(Passive)
Increases the Maximum Health, Physical Armor, Magic Resistance, Physical Damage and Attack Speed of the Seraphim.

(Active)
Calls down lightbeams from the sky, dealing (...) + (...% Spell Power) damage to all enemy units in the targeted area and stunning them for 2 seconds.

(Passive)
The basic attacks of the Seraphim reduce the targets Physical Armor and Magic Resistance by (...) for 5 seconds. Purge stacks up to 5 times.

(Active)
The Seraphim returns to the heaven and heals the cleric for (...)% of his remaining life.

(Passive)
Create a spellshield around the Seraphim that reduces the damage of the next offensive spell on him by (...) + (...% Spell Power) and breaks immediately. The shield refreshes after (...) seconds.

(Active)
Removes all the debuffs from a unit and gives them to the Seraphim. Additionally increases the seraphim's Health Regeneration by <real>% per debuff.

Shields the seraphim for 15 seconds, increases it's Physical Armor and Magic Resistance by (...)% and decreasing damage taken from Dark, Demon and Unholy Spells by (...)%.
(Active)
Shields the seraphim for 15 seconds, increases it's Physical Armor and Magic Resistance by (...) + (...% Spell Power)% and decreasing damage taken from Dark, Demon and Unholy Spells.

Holy Bolt

Holy Armor

Holy Light

Reckoning

Holy Mastery

Judgement

Illumination

Eternal Prison

The Saviour

Spectral Chains

Hand Of Fate

(Active)
Fires a holy bolt at the targeted unit dealing (...) + (...% Spell Power) Holy damage.

(Active)
Increases a unit's Physical Armor and Magic Resistance by (...) + (...% Spell Power)% for 3 seconds.

(Passive)
Dealing Holy damage heals the cleric for (...)% of the damage dealt.

(Active)
Empowers the target allied unit's basic attacks with holy power, increasing the damage by (...) + (...% Spell Power) for 6 seconds.

(Passive)
Holy spells deal (...)% bonus damage to Dark, Demon and Unholy enemies.

(Active)
Fires holy bolts at all enemies in the targeted area dealing (...) + (...% Spell Power) Holy damage.

(Passive)
Damaging spells on enemy units store energy on that unit for 8 seconds. The cleric's basic attacks ignite that energy and deal (...) + (...% Spell Power) Holy damage to all enemies in a small area around the targeted unit. Illumination stacks up to 3 times.

(Active)
Stuns the targeted enemy for 5 seconds. If an imprisoned unit takes on-hit damage, the prison breaks and deals (...) + (...% Spell Power) Holy damage.

(Passive)
When taking damage that reduces health below 35%, the cleric removes all crowd control debuffs and knocks all nearby enemies 400 units back and slowing them by (...)% for 4 seconds. This effect can only occur once every (...) seconds.

(Active)
Links the Cleric to all enemy units in the targeted area. If the chained units will be more than 900 range from the Cleric, the chain will break. If the chain lasts for 2 seconds it deals (...) + (...% Spell Power) Holy damage to the enemy unit and roots them for 1 second.

(Active)
Empowers the Cleric with holy magic for 30 seconds. Dealing damage or healing a unit will increase the power by (...)% of the damage/healing done. When re-activated or when the duration ends, knock all nearby enemies 100 + (...% of stacked power) units back and deal (...) + (...% of Spell Power) + (...% of stacked power) holy damage.

Spell Types:
  • Dark
  • Demon
  • Holy
  • Light
  • Unholy
Terms:
  • Crowd Control Debuffs: Debuffs that have effect on movement or control. (Fear, Knockback, Knockup, Morph, Root, Slow, Stun, Suppress, Taunt)
  • Fatal Damage: Damage that would reduce health below 0.
  • On-Hit: Spells or Basic attacks that hit the target.
Debuff:
  • Blind: Blind units miss their basic attacks.
  • Root: Rooted units are unable to move. (Movement spells (Dash, Leap, Teleport, etc) are still castable but won't move the unit.)
  • Slow: Slowed units have their movement speed reduced. (100% slow stops movement but still allows units to use movement spells.)
  • Stun: Stunned units are unable to do anything.
  • Taunt: Taunted units are forced to attack a specific unit. They also deal 35% reduced damage.

Last edited:
Level 17
the abilities look interesting in my opinion ;) i will think about some ideas

EDIT:

A target ability that shields the targeted unit, turning the next damage source it receives into heal. Maximum heal by 50% of max life of target unit. shield disappears after first damage source or 2 seconds.

your map sounds like there will be scripted interesting boss fights, so i created an ability that you have to time very good. if the damage source is just used for a basic auto attack, its waste of mana, if you time it correctly and the target gets hit by a powerful ability, it will be really efficient.

Level 6
Some abilities overlap, such as few abilities having the exact idea (when cleric heals another ally, he gets healed by an % of whatever), and names are very similar (healing mastery, seraph mastery, holy mastery, and healing master lol). I'm going to put this assumption that it's still very not final though. I'm a lover of healing and I've healed a lot of games, including WoW, so this certainly looks interesting to me (Light being more healing tree, Divine more support/extra tank, and Holy being offensive). I think a lot of people would take holy/light trees over divine/any because it looks a bit too strong, you don't want a cleric to be able to perform two roles simultaneously unless the damage/spellpower will have to be controlled.

How would talent trees work ? Seems like it's going to be done by 10-point tiers, up to 8 tiers, each tier requiring 5 levels, beginning from zero. Can you give more details about it? Maybe lessening tiers would better balancing wise, since you don't want to put too many abilities that end up being unoriginal.

Level 24
@GIMLI_2
The idea is very good but I don't want to remove damage completely.
You might have noticed, I never make a unit invulnerable. (The only one breaking that rule is Resurrection... kinda)
I could make it shield up to (...) and heal the amount that the shield has less and break the shield.

@Alright
The masteries and master are abilities that every class has.
They all have 3 Masteries (one for each tree) and one Master that is put in the most primary tree.
But as you said, it is indeed not final and I am not that good in names XD
The Point of the Divine tree is basically solo-play.
The Cleric is a support. On his own, he is very weak. Having a summoned unit to help him out is the best solution to this problem.
The abilities like Purification (and some others depending on how you use them) are made to make it viable in co-op.

The trees work a bit different from WoW trees.
Every level, you gain 3 skill points that can be spent into abilities.
All abilities except the final/ultimate abilities (noticed that Divine Protection was missing description. Updated now) have 10 levels. The final/ultimate abilities have only 5.
The level that is required to have everything maxed out is 105. The maximum level is 100.
The maximum level that is achievable (because of lack of monsters) is probably 70-80 for easiest mode and 45-50 for hardest mode.

From the start you can unlock all 3 starting abilities.
Until level 5, you can level one of them to max and unlock the tree.
At level 5, you can choose to continue on that tree or unlock the other trees as well.
This means that you can have abilities from every tree available.
To unlock all abilities (71 points in each tree) you require level 71.
On easiest mode, you can have all abilities. (not maxed though)
On hardest mode, you have to decide better what to choose.
The requirements are not that bad when you know how the game works.
Remember that having massive amounts of abilities available in a very short time can destroy gameplay before you know it.

I assume that most people will go for a combined set where most damaging spells are unlocked/leveled and the Seraphim will be very tanky and you have low level heals when playing solo mode.
For co-op, you want to have Light pretty much maxed out and get Divine if your team has enough damage and Holy if your team has enough defense.
As secondary cleric, you probably want Divine/Holy.

EDIT:
I might reduce the point requirement of the last 3 tiers by 10.
This is pretty much how the skill tree is set up:
fJ6FTcL.png

Level 6
Ah, encouraging diversity while limiting it by difficulty basis. Pretty cool. Of course that can be somewhat a problem if the capstones are limited in higher difficulties but I guess, if it has to be challenging for that purpose then awesome.

I think that Spiritual Energy can be redesigned to something like a mana restoration (casting a healing spell restores (...)% of your current mana OR gives mana regeneration). There's no talent that help with mana sustainability, unless I overlooked.

There should be definitely a talent that gives passive spell power (other than healing master, seems like it'd encourage mindless spam just to stack a buff). Unless you're going to make it so that it only works while in combat.

I'm also surprised why there's no buff that Cleric provides; there should be definitely some kind of Inner Fire-esque buff (or just health bonus/armor buff) in Divine tree that you can cast (no target) and nearby allies in the area gets the buff. Works with Seraphim, too.

There's only one aoe healing spell (Light Ray) in Light. Maybe add another in Holy, making an point blank aoe ability that does damage and healing to people?

Just my 2 cents. I'm digging Light tree, haven't really looked at other trees yet in depth. Flashstep is awesome (dat mobility).

Level 24
Ah, encouraging diversity while limiting it by difficulty basis. Pretty cool. Of course that can be somewhat a problem if the capstones are limited in higher difficulties but I guess, if it has to be challenging for that purpose then awesome.
0.o I don't know what you just said but I will just say yes :D

I think that Spiritual Energy can be redesigned to something like a mana restoration (casting a healing spell restores (...)% of your current mana OR gives mana regeneration). There's no talent that help with mana sustainability, unless I overlooked.
Indeed but it is intentional.
Mana (for the cleric at least) should be a very valuable resource because of the many heals and CC that it has, it can be devastating in combat... until you notice that you have no mana any more.
You should consider using the mana price when casting abilities as the Cleric.
None of the other classes have the high mana consumption as the Cleric so this doesn't count for everyone.
However, dodging stuff so less heals are required are pretty much better than just taking the damage because your fellow Cleric will run out of mana just because you take stupid damage.

There should be definitely a talent that gives passive spell power (other than healing master, seems like it'd encourage mindless spam just to stack a buff). Unless you're going to make it so that it only works while in combat.
Not really.
As mentioned above, you don't want to stack up your Healing Master stacks without actually healing because of your scarce mana pool.
More Spell Power increasing abilities might be nice indeed.

I'm also surprised why there's no buff that Cleric provides; there should be definitely some kind of Inner Fire-esque buff (or just health bonus/armor buff) in Divine tree that you can cast (no target) and nearby allies in the area gets the buff. Works with Seraphim, too.
Reckoning? Holy Armor? Bless? Resurrection?
The shield buffs and movement buffs are pretty much part of the Guardian and the Druid where the damaging buffs are more of the Elementalist and the Marksman.
Just a bit separation in class-roles.

There's only one aoe healing spell (Light Ray) in Light. Maybe add another in Holy, making an point blank aoe ability that does damage and healing to people?
Maybe you haven't noticed but Holy != Heal.
Light is healing power, Holy is offense power.
More heals are not really necessary because of how low the cooldowns will be.
Clerics have a high priority on cooldown reduction and their healing spells have their cooldown reduced when casting a healing spell.

Just my 2 cents. I'm digging Light tree, haven't really looked at other trees yet in depth. Flashstep is awesome (dat mobility).
Flashstep was the last ability that I made.
The problem is that I cannot use jumps, teleports, etc because you are not allowed to jump across gaps for example. Just a bit of secret room stuff.
Dashing however can be done without the problem of cliffs.

Level 6
0.o I don't know what you just said but I will just say yes :D

Sorry, I'm not a bit clear. I usually refer capstones as in end of talent trees where they basically redefine how heroes are played, or give a really powerful ability. What I'm basically saying that if the goal is to make it very hard to get more than a capstone in the highest difficulty, it makes it basically, well, hard, but it's also a problem because less levels would mean less diversity, sort of.

Indeed but it is intentional.
Mana (for the cleric at least) should be a very valuable resource because of the many heals and CC that it has, it can be devastating in combat... until you notice that you have no mana any more.
You should consider using the mana price when casting abilities as the Cleric.
None of the other classes have the high mana consumption as the Cleric so this doesn't count for everyone.
However, dodging stuff so less heals are required are pretty much better than just taking the damage because your fellow Cleric will run out of mana just because you take stupid damage.

The spells don't have mana mentioned so that's why I can't really say, obviously balance comes later. But there will be an issue with cheap spells and expensive spells, as this talent will encourage using very high cost spells just to get an use out of this talent if you have a mix of both inexpensive/expensive spells. Whereas it's nearly useless for inexpensive heals. So you would have to balance it for both cases.

Restricting mana regen to items or other sources will also only make cleric slightly harder to play, which is why I think there could be ONE talent that provides mana, which is easier to balance. Don't make it so that it gives 100000% mana, obviously, be very delicate with it.

Not really.
As mentioned above, you don't want to stack up your Healing Master stacks without actually healing because of your scarce mana pool.
More Spell Power increasing abilities might be nice indeed.

Even with this case, people will always figure out the optimal build to be able to sufficiently sustain themselves with enough mana regen and finding the cheapest spell to use, spamming it to keep the buff up. Which is why I think it's a bad mechanic. Limiting it to a few spells may be a good idea, but eh, turning it into a nice straight spell power provide is better imo.

Reckoning? Holy Armor? Bless? Resurrection?
The shield buffs and movement buffs are pretty much part of the Guardian and the Druid where the damaging buffs are more of the Elementalist and the Marksman.
Just a bit separation in class-roles.

I didn't mean a buff with short effects, I meant an ability that gives a very long lasting buff that provides whatever. Holy Armor also only lasts 3 secs... who would take that? :S

Maybe you haven't noticed but Holy != Heal.
Light is healing power, Holy is offense power.
More heals are not really necessary because of how low the cooldowns will be.
Clerics have a high priority on cooldown reduction and their healing spells have their cooldown reduced when casting a healing spell.

I'm aware Holy is focused into damage spells, but not every tree has to have every ability follow an exact role. They should be considered into other trees where it will encourage people to put points into others to get an effect they desire. Spells in Light tree also does damage to enemies (Light Ray & Sunfire Strike), so what's wrong with having a healing spell in Holy tree?

Fair point on CDs, but I meant about utility that a priest should bring, having only an AoE healing spell and then the other class has more AoE spells will bring more utility because they are able to effectively reach more players and sustaining them better than another class.

I'm not going to try and act like I know it all, it's your game; I'm interested in how it works, though I may appear biased so just agree to disagree with me if you think something is fine for you :p

Level 24
I am not a fan of long lasting buffs.
In fact... I never use any of them.
The 3 seconds Super-Duper-Tank-Bonus-Buff is because it increases the defenses massively.
Ofcourse, you can't see it but it increases the defenses by like... 100-200% It is kind of the counterpart of the invulnerable buff.

The only problem is that this character is less fun to play than the Druid, Ranger, Elementalist, Assassin, Marksman or Warrior.
Only the Cleric and the Guardian are a bit boring to play so I wanted a few abilities that would make them more fun.
The balancing roles and the effectiveness of those roles will come later.

Level 25
Sanctuary - Creates a shield across a large area that protects allies within from ranged damage from sources outside the shield. (think Star Wars ep 1 gungan shields)
Sacred Ground - Blesses the target area, periodically healing allies within. The sacred ground is destroyed when an enemy enters the area.
Soul Link - Creates a bond between the cleric and an ally, allowing them to share mana. (both heroes' mana will always be the same percentage as each other)
Pacifist (Passive) - Increases the Cleric's mana regeneration. Deactivated if the Cleric deals damage (spells or attacks).
Seal of Judgement - Debuff, records how much damage the affected unit deals over X seconds. After the buff expires, the ability on the cleric is replaced with Pass Judgement, a nuke that deals damage equal to the damage recorded by the debuff. (maybe make it castable on allies to synergise with high dps heroes?)

I don't know if your map has a aggro system (or if you plan to add it), if so then you can shape several spells around juggling or removing aggro.

Level 24
I thought about sactuary for one that shielded only a small area (300-400 units in WC3) but it would be too overpowered.
Right now, the Druid (tank with spells) has one that shields that area but missiles that deal more damage than (...) will break the shield.

I like the idea of Sacred Ground.

Soul Link, meh. That one would go against the principle of the Cleric as someone with massive mana consumption when you trade it off with a hero who can regain mana very fast... the Elementalist.

Pacifist... pretty much the same as every other mana ability.

Seal Of Judgement is pretty much the counterpart of Hand Of Fate...
It exist on the Guardian with an AoE damage when it expires.

Sacred Ground will probably replace Sunfire Strike then.

Level 6
I see a lot of healing here. But there is other ways to save someone's ass ;)

what about : -Increase greatly the armor for a short duration
-sado maso: regains randomly (X-X) hp when being attacked (good with a
high level of armor)
-magic shield (takes X damages instead of the target and disapear)
-Weakness: reduce targets damages by (X%) for a short duration (good
against big bad boys)
-Devotion: aura (armor?/regen?)
-Spiritual link: share the damages taken.

I'm sure you can find some ideas there !

Level 24
what about : -Increase greatly the armor for a short duration
Uhm... Holy Armor increases the armor and resistance by... a lot.
As mentioned before, it is the counterpart of a divine shield.

-sado maso: regains randomly (X-X) hp when being attacked (good with a high level of armor)
Also something I should have mentioned... I hate random.
Critical strike chance is one thing... and luck is not really combat related so...

-magic shield (takes X damages instead of the target and disapear)
0.o ... nice that you give an idea... but then take one that is not in the list already ;)

-Weakness: reduce targets damages by (X%) for a short duration (good against big bad boys)
-Devotion: aura (armor?/regen?)
-Spiritual link: share the damages taken.

Might do these... but not for the cleric though. (Just play style separation.)

Also if you create the magic shield, I want it :p
Like blocking the first incoming spell?

"Create a spellshield around the Seraphim that reduces the damage of the next offensive spell on him by (...) + (...% Spell Power) and breaks immediately. The shield refreshes after (...) seconds."

It is hard to make 10 levels for a spell shield that completely blocks an ability.
However this spell shield does exactly the same if the damage is lower than the shield value.
If the shield blocked all damage, the spell is completely blocked including additional effects... even effects that would happen on spell-on-hits of the enemy.

Level 6
No about the shield I meants that blocks damages.

Also about sado maso it's not completely random. its a healing range between lets say 10 and 15. plus de magic power I guess or something similar.

But well it was just an idea. I just hate to play a character that has only healing spells in any situations.

Level 28
Weight of Sin: Brings the target's health to the same percentage as the caster's (if caster is at full health, fully heals target, if cleric is at 1%, so is the target).

Armor of Righteousness: Dispels all negative buffs from allied units around the caster, and gives them a Spell Shield.

State of Grace: Caster gains 100% Evasion and no-cooldown Spell Shield for a few seconds.

Indulgence: Purges a target unit of buffs (positive if allied, negative if enemy), gaining X gold per buff.

Level 24
No about the shield I meants that blocks damages.
Ah... well that is that one but it breaks after the first spell.

Also about sado maso it's not completely random. its a healing range between lets say 10 and 15. plus de magic power I guess or something similar.

So it is random? (yes)
What could be done is more like... heals 10 to 15 based on missing health.
In that case, you as player knows what to do and you still have the difference.
But anyway... why does it has to be random? I rather want to let it heal 10 instead of 10 to 15 as random because then I just know what happens.

Weight of Sin: Brings the target's health to the same percentage as the caster's (if caster is at full health, fully heals target, if cleric is at 1%, so is the target).
That will make maximum health increase of the cleric a disadvantage at some point. And in the other case... this one will become very overpowered.

Armor of Righteousness: Dispels all negative buffs from allied units around the caster, and gives them a Spell Shield.
Good one.

State of Grace: Caster gains 100% Evasion and no-cooldown Spell Shield for a few seconds.
Support role?
Also... no-cooldown?

Indulgence: Purges a target unit of buffs (positive if allied, negative if enemy), gaining X gold per buff.
Why give gold? How does it work?
Granting a player stuff that has nothing to do with spells is imo very bad.
People could use gold as something else... like available skill points... or quest points. Just for the privilege of the UI at the top screen.
The purge practically exist... however enemy positive buffs are only a few... if you play on easy mode where only bosses have a few abilities.

Level 6
In real life as in video games there should always be a part of random. Of course you can decide to go to a trading school. not taking any risks, maybe work in a bank, and in the end you realize you've been eating your own shit your whole "pointless" life. That's why random is interseting, it brings another dimension to the game and makes it more exciting.

Too much random and it's frustrating. None and it's boring.

But do you mean you won't have any critical heal ? ;)

Level 24
critical heal?
the only chance in combat is critical strike... which every unit has and it only applies on basic attacks (and a few abilities that are similar to basic attacks.).

But anyway... I just hate random stuff.
Less luck based, more skill based = better game... imo

Status
Not open for further replies.