• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help with custom Pokemon tiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
First, let me start off by saying I am a complete beginner when it comes to creating custom tiles, and textures.

I have created a two tiles based off the Pokemon games for the Gameboy and Gameboy Advance, but one of their file sizes is over 100kb and strangely enough, this is the one I have created only two tiles for. The grass is only 32kb, and is a complete tileset.

This is it: (Yes, I decreased image quality, because I don't want to release it unless I perfect and compact it.)
mLf3fK6.jpg

And here's my two tiles together:
DE1Dwkn.jpg

I was wondering if there was a way to reduce the size of the first tileset (the dirt,) because I only need the two tiles from it, as it is made to be used with the grass tile.

I was also wondering if anyone knows of any cartoon-ish looking pine trees, as there are none on Hive, or if anyone has any idea how I can do this myself, using an already existing model (because I have NO idea.)

Level 37
You select the grassy areas and press delete. Then save the image.

You might have to add the alpha channel before that. Usually from some menu -> add alpha channel.

It's really easy. Gimp is a free image editing program that you can use to do that. You can google instructions.

Level 2
You select the grassy areas and press delete. Then save the image.

You might have to add the alpha channel before that. Usually from some menu -> add alpha channel.

It's really easy. Gimp is a free image editing program that you can use to do that. You can google instructions.

So ultimately deleting the grassy areas and re-saving the tile may reduce the filesize? Also, is the Alpha channel the same thing as transparency? I saved the image as .jpeg just for the sake of uploading (since imgur doesn't accept .blp or .tga.) If so, then it is already transparent, but I should also delete the grass, too?

Status
Not open for further replies.