• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help someone!... please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Im trying to add custom skins to my map (all of which have been downloaded off this site). ive been able to succesfully, download, import and apply the skin to the unit but then when i start the map the model is invisible, now ive looked at a number of tutoriols and the troublesooting that applies to this problem hasnt helped me as far as i know ive done everything i was told to.

Can anyone give me some more detailed troubleshooting, or a more indepth explanation on how to apply skins?

Level 7
There is a few reasons why the model is invisible.. (in my experiences)

- The skin file is corrupted (no damn way to reverse it)
- The model itself is corrupted. No way to reverse it actually.. (this only applies to downloaded models)

Or maybe the pathing for the skin is incorrect or of a different filetype.

Make sure you have typed the right path and MAKE sure that it's a .blp file of balanced quality (i mean 24 or 32 bits/pixel quality).

Hope those helped

Level 11
yes i am using models, but i dont think the files are corrupted since ive tried a number of models all downloaded off his site.

i may be using the wrong paths but the ones i use are the ones that look to be the right ones it doesnt actually be all that specific

here is an example of one of the models im trying to use: Marine Base

in this one i used the custom path, Textures\Marine.blp, for the file Marine.blp (other files downloaded with this model were Marine_Portriat.mdx, and Marine.mdx)

Also what are dummy abilities/dummy units and how do i make them?

Level 32
For the Marine Base model you'll need to import the three files:
Code:
Marine.blp
Marine.mdx
Marine_portriat.mdx
Notice on the resource's page how there is one texture path marked in red?

Textures\Marine.blp
Textures\Dust3x.blp
Textures\gutz.blp
Textures\Flame4.blp

That is a custom texture file: its path must be set exactly as shown on the page. The model requires the other texture files as well but those already exist in the war3.mpq file(s). If you are using Return of Chaos or your local .mpq files have somehow been damaged you might not be able to properly use all model files.

I just tested that marine; it works for me.

Dummy Units.
Dummy units are special units (lol, not really) meant to help you enchance the spell with better effects. For now, you must know how to create your own dummy unit in the object editor. After that, you will learn how to use them as well.

So go to the unit editor and copy-paste the footman unit. Rename it as dummy, so that you will be able to recognize it later. And now, change the following fields accordingly:

Abilities – Normal – It should include only the Locust unit ability. This will make the dummy unselectable, invulnerable and will remove its collision, allowing any unit to pass through it. By this you assure the unit cannot be detected in any way.

Art – Model File – Switch to custom and type none.mdl. This will make the unit invisible (not as invisibility, but unseen).

Art – Shadow Image – Switch the value in preset to none.

Art – Special – Delete everything there.

Combat – Attacks enabled – Switch to none.

Combat – Death Type – Switch to Can’t Raise, Does not Decay

Movement – Speed Base – Set its value to 0.

Movement – Type – Switch to Fly.

Sound – Unit Sound Set – Change its value to NONE.

Stats – Can FleeFalse.

Stats – Food Cost – Set it to 0.

Stats – Hide Minimap DisplayTrue

Stats – Sight Radius (Day)0
Stats – Sight Radius (Night)0

Techtree – Upgrades Used – Delete all.

After you have given the unit all these values you can place one on the map and notice that ingame you won’t see it. In World Editor it will appear as a box with green/black squares. That’s because the model you assigned to the unit doesn’t exist. It will disappear ingame.

Last edited:
Level 32
for the marine one isnt the third file marine_portriat.mdx?
Oops, edited my previous post. o.0

also does that post say how to make dummy abilities? and also where can i find that post
Yes, indeed it does!

Links that are direct referenced qutations (like the ones I have used in this thread) may easily be followed by clicking on the small arrow .gif files in them:
viewpost.gif

Those quotation reference buttons are hyperlinked to the original post itself, which in this case is Basics of Trigger Enhancing Spells

Last edited:
Level 11
have you repathing the skin? (in the world editor, not in windows)
have you restart the world editor after import & repath?
that's the 2 critical points

yes i did repath the skin in World Editor, but no i didnt restart World Editor, ill try that and see if it works

Thanx Wolverabid, however that topic didnt really explain how to create one only basically what to base it off and whatr it is, and so i still am not sure how to make it so the ability is ot seen, (i want to use the ability to attach a weapon to a riflemen unit). But thats fine for now im more interested in getting the model to work

Level 21
When you have just imported a model, the textures are not used yet. To make warcraft use those textures, you must refresh them by either restarting WE (the annoying way) or go to WE, file > Preferences > Video and there you change the Texture Quality into one of the other 2 options. all textures will be refreshed by doing so, including imported ones so you don't have to close WE with every import you make.

Status
Not open for further replies.